Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Dublin shooting

Options
  • 02-12-2016 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

A man in his 30's shot dead in Lucan tonight about an hour ago, any idea who it was? Paul Reynolds on RTE there said he was "well know to the Gardai"

Hutch Kinnehan related?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not directly no I don't think so. More Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Twitter suggests a name

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

This guy is no loss. Caused untold misery on so many people in the last 20 years.
    Rot in hell guinea pig. Devil was only waiting for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭emmetlego

mr j tayto wrote: »
    This guy is no loss. Caused untold misery on so many people in the last 20 years.
    Rot in hell guinea pig. Devil was only waiting for ya.

Any hints, I can't find it on twitter at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

emmetlego wrote: »
    Any hints, I can't find it on twitter at all!

The Guinea pig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Right so. I suppose that was coming! At least no bystander was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crim...s-mark-desmond

That's him.

World is slighty better off today, and that's not condoning murder in any way, but this guy was one evil cnut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

Dublin is turning into the wild west.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Old Bill wrote: »
    Dublin is turning into the wild west.

No it isn't

• Advertisement

No it isn't

It is the gun murder rate here is 6 times what it is in England.

Dublin is one of the most lawless cities in Western Europe.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/exclusive-almost-six-times-more-gun-homicides-here-than-in-england-and-wales-34566358.html

Do you mean per capita over the entire population of England?

ligerdub wrote: »
    Do you mean per capita over the entire population of England?

Per capita.

I don't think that's a fair comparison then. A better comparison would be compared to London, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

You'd have to consider gun and knife crime too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Old Bill wrote: »
    It is the gun murder rate here is 6 times what it is in England.

Dublin is one of the most lawless cities in Western Europe.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/exclusive-almost-six-times-more-gun-homicides-here-than-in-england-and-wales-34566358.html

If Cork or Galways were a similar size of Dublin, they would have similar murder rates. Ireland isnt far off a city state, the size of Dublin relative to the rest of Ireland makes it crime riddled when it isnt.

None of these people being killed are innocent. Their life of crime is finally catching up to them. One that was killed this year was warned by the Garda that he was going to be killed and that he should leave the country. The guy choose to ask DCC to give him a different flat.

When these people are warned their life is in danger and are ignoring the warnings, it is very hard to feel sorry for them when they are eventually killed

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If Cork or Galways were a similar size of Dublin, they would have similar murder rates. Ireland isnt far off a city state, the size of Dublin relative to the rest of Ireland makes it crime riddled when it isnt.

None of these people being killed are innocent. Their life of crime is finally catching up to them. One that was killed this year was warned by the Garda that he was going to be killed and that he should leave the country. The guy choose to ask DCC to give him a different flat.

When these people are warned their life is in danger and are ignoring the warnings, it is very hard to feel sorry for them when they are eventually killed

There was a drug addict shot dead in the inner city earlier this year in a case of mistaken identity.

Also a few years ago a we had scumbag shooting at the outside of a pub indiscriminately.

Dublin has a serious problem with law and order.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/three-women-man-injured-shooting-2367121

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It is a little bit funny when somebody says that Dublin is turning into the wild west and gets goaded into elaborating.
    I would have assumed that (it was pretty obvious) they meant that somebody can walk out on to the street at any time of the day or night and possibly witness a shooting that is being done without fear of repercussion of the law.
    But no. Not on boards.
     It is contested, and then when the poster of said message points to an article, they are then asked if they are relating to England or the UK per Capita..
    Seriously??????
    Is it not enough that there is murder actually happening at a high rate??
    I am stumped so many times at peoples reactions and comparing stuff to other cities etc. But there must be a time when we can say, "oh yeah, maybe it is not a good thing. It is a bit like the wild west. People are getting murdered on out Streets and the killer is known, walking, running, driving away and doing the same thing a few months later."

Suckit wrote: »
    It is a little bit funny when somebody says that Dublin is turning into the wild west and gets goaded into elaborating.
    I would have assumed that (it was pretty obvious) they meant that somebody can walk out on to the street at any time of the day or night and possibly witness a shooting that is being done without fear of repercussion of the law.
    But no. Not on boards.
     It is contested, and then when the poster of said message points to an article, they are then asked if they are relating to England or the UK per Capita..
    Seriously??????
    Is it not enough that there is murder actually happening at a high rate??
    I am stumped so many times at peoples reactions and comparing stuff to other cities etc. But there must be a time when we can say, "oh yeah, maybe it is not a good thing. It is a bit like the wild west. People are getting murdered on out Streets and the killer is known, walking, running, driving away and doing the same thing a few months later."

It's questioned because it's quite a spectacular claim, and spectacular claims should be challenged. The proof of the strength of the argument is the ability to stand up to the challenge.

"I would have assumed that (it was pretty obvious) they meant that somebody can walk out on to the street at any time of the day or night and possibly witness a shooting that is being done without fear of repercussion of the law." - possible is quite varied. How possible is the key. I dare say it's not something I ever really consider when walking around the city/county.

The claim is based around a city being a lot more dangerous than an entire country, and in only one type of crime. I think that can be quite misleading. You can't make one comparison and then complain against a suggestion of a better comparison.

I don't doubt that crime, particularly gang crime is bad in Dublin, very bad in fact, but it's very bad in Ireland in general. Is Limerick any different from Dublin in that regard? If it was a simple case of "gangland crime in Ireland is a serious issue and is out of hand" then I'd be more likely to agree, but the notion that people should feel markedly less safe here compared to a similar city (on average, not specific cities) somewhere else hasn't been proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I understand your point "Suckit" (such an elegant name) but most people who are murdered are heavily involved in criminality. As a normal person, I am perfectly safe to walk down my street in Dublin 8 and no-one will bother me. Now if I was selling drugs things might be different so I don't think Dublin is turning into the wild west and you don't have anything but anecdotes to back up your claim anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lux23 wrote: »
    I understand your point "Suckit" (such an elegant name) but most people who are murdered are heavily involved in criminality. As a normal person, I am perfectly safe to walk down my street in Dublin 8 and no-one will bother me. Now if I was selling drugs things might be different so I don't think Dublin is turning into the wild west and you don't have anything but anecdotes to back up your claim anyway.

What claim? What anecdotes?

Edit. - Also, were there not at least two people stabbed and one shot in Dublin 8 within the past two months?

Btw and fwiw, it is not my real name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good riddance to the kunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

A complete and utter scumbag. I think the Gardaí should make an exception here and grant the killer a 'free pass' for doing what our criminal justice system failed to do and taking an absolute menace off the streets.

Sorry Suckit, I got you mixed up Bill as you guys have the same avatar.

Yes, there have been shootings and stabbings near where I live but in fairness they haven't made me any more fearful. Stories like what happened to that girl in Maynooth would scare me as it appeared to be random, but if friends fight and one ends up dead I don't see how that would affect me. Same with gangland shootings, I don't deal drugs so why would I be frightened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Lux23 wrote:
    Yes, there have been shootings and stabbings near where I live but in fairness they haven't made me any more fearful. Stories like what happened to that girl in Maynooth would scare me as it appeared to be random, but if friends fight and one ends up dead I don't see how that would affect me. Same with gangland shootings, I don't deal drugs so why would I be frightened?

Because you could be caught in the crossfire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pilly wrote:

Or be wearing the wrong colour jacket, or driving the wrong colour or type of car. The gunmen are not geniuses.

A case of mistaken identity every couple of years is tragic, but no reason to be fearful. You might as well **** yourself every time you cross a road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

ligerdub wrote: »
    A case of mistaken identity every couple of years is tragic, but no reason to be fearful. You might as well **** yourself every time you cross a road.

I do that too. :D:D

No seriously though, I didn't mean that we should all be afraid going around what I mean is sometimes I think "ah let them all kill each other" but there is too much risk of an innocent being killed is my point.

We can all say it has no effect on us until the day it does.

pilly wrote: »
    I do that too. :D:D

No seriously though, I didn't mean that we should all be afraid going around what I mean is sometimes I think "ah let them all kill each other" but there is too much risk of an innocent being killed is my point.

We can all say it has no effect on us until the day it does.

Ha! Fair play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Lux23 wrote: »
    Same with gangland shootings, I don't deal drugs so why would I be frightened?

Imagine you're walking home one night and you turn around a corner when right in front of you two guys who've just shot someone pull off their balaclavas as they get into the getaway car. You think they wouldn't put a bullet in your head?

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »

That is a pretty rare occurrence in Ireland since the troubles so I wouldn't be fearful at all.

Advertisement