Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Dublin shooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

sabat wrote: »
    Imagine you're walking home one night and you turn around a corner when right in front of you two guys who've just shot someone pull off their balaclavas as they get into the getaway car. You think they wouldn't put a bullet in your head?

When has that happened to anyone? These shootings take place in broad daylight in front of witnesses all the time?

Really why are you interested in stirring up fear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

sabat wrote: »
    Imagine you're walking home one night and you turn around a corner when right in front of you two guys who've just shot someone pull off their balaclavas as they get into the getaway car. You think they wouldn't put a bullet in your head?

Sure you better of imagining it wont happen as the chances that it will are very slim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Why is there even pushback when someone - rightly - points out that Dublin has a serious problem when it comes to law and order ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Why is there even pushback when someone - rightly - points out that Dublin has a serious problem when it comes to law and order ?????

Because a lot of Dubliners are sick of uneducated opinions of the city. You would swear there is no crime outside of Dublin the way some people go on. Even your comment is quite ignorant. "Dublin has a serious problem when it comes to law and order". Since when has a majority of Dublin been involved in gang land shootings like your comment implies????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

No doubt there is a serious problem of crime involving major gangland criminals. It's possibly worse here than in some other cities throughout Europe.

Cities by their nature are dangerous places compared to rural areas. This is particularly true as drugs have become such a significant problem and used by such a wide cross section of society and by both men and women.

However, I don't think it's a particularly dangerous city outside of these feuding drug gangs. The most in danger there are those involved in criminality, by a massive distance. I'm not sure what is virtuous about blindly accepting statements that Dublin is Dodge City.

• Advertisement

Because it doesn't have a serious problem with law and order. Most of us go about our day without seeing any violent interactions or without breaking any laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lux23 wrote: »

Because it doesn't have a serious problem with law and order. Most of us go about our day without seeing any violent interactions or without breaking any laws.
    WHAT?
    Dublin most definitely does have a problem with law and specifically order.
    When one person gets murdered on the streets, that is a problem. When 20 within a year do, that is a big problem.
    We might be better off ignoring it and getting on with our lives, but what if that neglect leads to it overspilling into out neighbourhood or our childrens?
    I am not trying to scaremonger, but there is no way you can say there is not a serious problem. Water it down all you want, it is still a serious problem.

And by the way, not seeing a problem does not mean that there is not one.

I simply don't agree and I live in one of the roughest parts of Dublin. I think some people like to claim we live in the wild west because they enjoy all the drama of it but the fact remains that violence of this scale has very little impact on your average Dublin citizen.

Have you been shot at Suckit? Has any of your friends and family?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Suckit wrote: »
    WHAT?
    Dublin most definitely does have a problem with law and specifically order.
    When one person gets murdered on the streets, that is a problem. When 20 within a year do, that is a big problem.
    We might be better off ignoring it and getting on with our lives, but what if that neglect leads to it overspilling into out neighbourhood or our childrens?
    I am not trying to scaremonger, but there is no way you can say there is not a serious problem. Water it down all you want, it is still a serious problem.

And by the way, not seeing a problem does not mean that there is not one.

Well it depends on your perspective.

20 people murdered over a population of say 1,000,000 people? On it's own is that bad? Is it bad by comparison to other similar sized cities, or it's relative share compared to places of different populations?

Relative to any other mammal how safe is your life in your daily journeys?

Some people look at it one way, and some look at it the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I'd say Dublin is a safe city to live in for the most part. Their is still a lot of thugs and scumbags around though. More of nuisance than a threat to the peace like in other countries. Any serious trouble the Gardaí could handle it. As for terrorism if we were ever hit the criminals of this city would have a field day. As the public huddle in fear they'd be out robbing the joint and joy riding like their no tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Living in Dublin city centre for most of ten years, I haven't witnessed anything more violent than a heated conversation on the streets, or heard much by the way of first hand accounts.

Living in a small country town in Donegal I knew someone personally who was beaten to death after a night out, an uncle (different person) beaten to a pulp for standing in the wrong place, someone else run over (purposefully) with a car a couple times, and countless other incidents of scumbags looking for (and finding) a scrap on a night out. And no-one considers that lovely quaint little town to be a troubled spot.

I feel much safer walking around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Close friend of Gerry 'the monk' Hutch shot dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

No great loss,scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Its the Irish Way, Deny there's any problem and hope it goes away. Same for so many things here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

No great loss,scum

I smell an agenda from your post!! 3 days to Christmas shame on you!

Victim named
    https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/812009618352259072

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

We managed to sort our gangland issues in Limerick. Now Dublin needs to sort it out. Too many people in Dublin sneered at Limerick when they had troubles. Dublin has now descended into a hellhole. We now have a modern progressive city unlike Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Poor old Duckegg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

jsd1004 wrote: »
    We managed to sort our gangland issues in Limerick. Now Dublin needs to sort it out. Too many people in Dublin sneered at Limerick when they had troubles. Dublin has now descended into a hellhole. We now have a modern progressive city unlike Dublin.

Yea, well, My daddy would bate your daddy :rolleyes:.
    I'm not from either place but the above post is just stupid. Boards throws up some good ones.

Yea, well, My daddy would bate your daddy :rolleyes:.
    I'm not from either place but the above post is just stupid. Boards throws up some good ones.

Why comment then? We had gangland issues. They are sorted now. Dublin needs to learn from Limerick before it further descends into chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Why comment then? We had gangland issues. They are sorted now. Dublin needs to learn from Limerick before it further descends into chaos.

How do you suggest they sort it from learning from limerick? New laws regarding gangland criminals that are still in place?
    About people from Dublin sneering at limerick at the time, I genuinely would like to know who, as Dublin was also suffering its own fued at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Aloneagain

No great loss,scum

I reckon he was probably a bus driver !!

How do you suggest they sort it from learning from limerick? New laws regarding gangland criminals that are still in place?
    About people from Dublin sneering at limerick at the time, I genuinely would like to know who, as Dublin was also suffering its own fued at the time.

Genuinely..

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gardaí-fear-christy-keane-shooting-may-lead-to-gang-feud-1.2280698%3Fmode%3Damp?client=ms-android-h3g-GB

And this

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gang-war-feared-after-dole-brawl

Limerick is still a powder keg waiting to explode!
    Most limerick criminal's are astute because of all the Garda attention for all those years feuding it hasn't gone away.

This Dublin wipeout is not a feud!

What can be learned from limerick IMO nothing.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/gardaí-fear-christy-keane-shooting-may-lead-to-gang-feud-1.2280698%3Fmode%3Damp?client=ms-android-h3g-GB

And this

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/gang-war-feared-after-dole-brawl

Limerick is still a powder keg waiting to explode!
    Most limerick criminal's are astute because of all the Garda attention for all those years feuding it hasn't gone away.

This Dublin wipeout is not a feud!

What can be learned from limerick IMO nothing.

No. Dublin is a hellhole. We do not have senseless murders here every year. Dublin does..

No. Dublin is a hellhole. We do not have senseless murders here every year. Dublin does..

Relative to population dublin isn't a hellhole it's criminal are a small but hugely publised in print and on-line in the last year.

Relative to population dublin isn't a hellhole it's criminal are a small but hugely publised in print and on-line in the last year.

When someone refers to relative to general population you know the general population is fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Comparing Dublin to Limerick is retarded. A closer comparison would be Limerick and any one of Dublins suburbs.

I love Limerick, its a brilliant city. I love that you can wander down by the Shannon Bridge & up and down the quays and not come across open drug dealing and zombie addicts.

Very few premises require bouncers/security etc.

That picture doesn't even compare to Tallaght, Ballymun, Dolphins Barn or Finglas.

Limerick is tiny in comparison, thankfully. Without doubt my favorite city outside of Dublin (actually I'd rather live in Limerick most times than Dublin, but I fear I'd be bored in weeks).

Afew questions if I may
    Dublin does have the biggest population in the country?
    What can be learned from limerick?

Comparing Dublin to Limerick is retarded. A closer comparison would be Limerick and any one of Dublins suburbs.

I love Limerick, its a brilliant city. I love that you can wander down by the Shannon Bridge & up and down the quays and not come across open drug dealing and zombie addicts.

Very few premises require bouncers/security etc.

That picture doesn't even compare to Tallaght, Ballymun, Dolphins Barn or Finglas.

Limerick is tiny in comparison, thankfully. Without doubt my favorite city outside of Dublin (actually I'd rather live in Limerick most times than Dublin, but I fear I'd be bored in weeks).
    Yes
    Unfortunately RTE and a lot of Dublin compared limerick with a huge capital city with all the problems Dublin has. We are not like tallaght ballymun or the inner city. We are a beautiful riverside city with an open economy and loads of vibrant european business based in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes
    Unfortunately RTE and a lot of Dublin compared limerick with a huge capital city with all the problems Dublin has. We are not like tallaght ballymun or the inner city. We are a beautiful riverside city with an open economy and loads of vibrant european business based in the city.

Well (and I've wrote this in the Limerick forum) the media do Limerick and great injustice by calling it 'Stab City'.

Most of my friends and family won't visit Limerick just because of the bad press it receives and when I tell people to visit I get 'Oh, Stab City' :mad::mad:

Only problem you have, and its very noticeable to the visitor ~ dog poo littering the pavements, God damn I've never seen anywhere else like it!.

Apart from that I love the place. Very friendly, rugby mad feckers with brilliant pubs (unfortunately everything is closed by 11:30pm).

The regeneration is keep, keep it up. Love Limerick :D

Advertisement