Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS games on PS4

Options
  • 02-12-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

How do you do it?!

What I mean is, I am an old fart by computer games standards. My first console was a Atari 2600. I got into FPS games with Doom on PC, went on to Quake, Half Life etc...

Now the kids have a PS4 and they enjoy it a lot, and I bought some of the highly rated FPS games for myself, The Last of Us specifically as I had heard so much about it.

But I can't play it - I can achieve no fine control with a PS4 controller after being so used to mouse and keyboard. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some knack I am missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

CiboC wrote: »
    How do you do it?!

What I mean is, I am an old fart by computer games standards. My first console was a Atari 2600. I got into FPS games with Doom on PC, went on to Quake, Half Life etc...

Now the kids have a PS4 and they enjoy it a lot, and I bought some of the highly rated FPS games for myself, The Last of Us specifically as I had heard so much about it.

But I can't play it - I can achieve no fine control with a PS4 controller after being so used to mouse and keyboard. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some knack I am missing?

You could easily be asking the opposite question in the PC gaming forum if you only ever played on console. Stick with it and it will come.

I hadn't played a FPS in about 2 years until Battlefield 1 came out recently and I found myself struggling to do any way well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

to be honest one of the first levels in TLoU is very hard with the clickers and even put me off of it for a while
    try something else where you can explore first while using a controller like Fallout 4 or Far Cry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

CiboC wrote: »
    The Last of Us specifically as I had heard so much about it.

Try turning down the aiming sensitivity in the game options. The Last of Us might not have been the best game to start off with. It's a great game and one of my all time favourites but the aiming seems to be more difficult, kind of sluggish, by design compared to something like Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭CiboC

I'll try to persevere so! Any other suggestions for good fps games to try?

Games along the lines of half life 1 & 2 and portal would be the kind of thing I enjoyed most back when I was gaming regularly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Wolfenstein : The New Order is just a tremendous amount of fun and can be picked up cheap as chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Wolfenstein : The New Order is just a tremendous amount of fun and can be picked up cheap as chips.

I second this. Another thing about it is the game does not force to into direct combat for most of the levels. So if you wanted to avoid getting into a fire fight you could stealthily take out NPCs through takedowns, throwing knives, or silenced pistols.

That said, I find the gun play in Wolfenstein to be tremendous, so it's a shame to avoid it totally! Great game to get you back into the swing of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I played COD 4 on PC no bother, Years later after playing FPSs on console I tried playing MW2 on my brother's PC. Couldn't do it, like couldn't even move.
    Destiny, Wolfenstein the new order, Doom and Battlefield 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How about a fps but not a shooter. I'm playing the witness at the moment and loving it, it's a puzzle game but in first person, something like that may help in getting used to using a controller with the consequences of being constantly killed in game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I came from PC to consoles myself. It took a few years playing to get used to it to be honest

Advertisement