Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feliway for cats

• 02-12-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

My cat (1 year old) is quite timid and jumps and runs at a lot of noises. I got her when she was only about 3-4 weeks old. She purred for a while and then stopped. She doesn't like being petted or held much, but she allows me, but only me really. She scrapes or runs if someone tries to pet her (I try to tell people to go gently but so far it hasn't worked).
    I was wondering if a feliway diffuser would be of benefit? I saw it helps for territory so I'm not sure if it would work for her. She is easily frightened so maybe it could help. She is quite independent otherwise but she does show affection to people she likes.
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I have used feliway for my very nervous cat and it has stopped him spraying around the house thank god, but it doesn't help his skittishness. The best I found was the pet remedy diffusers, made a major difference to nerves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Our skittish cat Bunk loves pet remedy. I spray some around the living room and on the rug and he just rolls around for ages rubbing on it and being generally playful :) Really seems to help him relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, just out of interest, is your cat plain black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thanks for the replies, sorry for not coming back sooner!
    The pet remedy seems like a good buy, I might get that, thanks! She isn't extremely anxious but it might make a difference so I'll try it and see.
    My cat is mostly black with some white. Although her black hair has a bit of a brownish/red tinge to it in some places (where she was shaved for spaying!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was interested in the colour of the cat as I have now come across numerous black cats, rather skinny shorthairs, also with that brownish colour in the sun, and they are all ridiculously nervous. Mine behaves as though the world (including me) is out to get her and she will startle at the smallest thing, is very difficult to catch and does a runner if anyone else comes into the house.

Except that while she treats me during the day as though she is expecting to be assaulted, at night she comes and sleeps on my bed, entirely at her own convenience, and is very difficult to move :) When she figures its bedtime she comes and walks on me, nudges up to me, looks for affection and waits outside the bathroom door demanding that I get a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Our Bunk is a black cat and whilst he loves me to death (sometimes it's overbearing) he's very skittish around anyone else and will dart through doorways and such instead of walking calmly. Maybe it is a black cat thing.

Thanks for your replies! I think I will get the diffuser as I feel the spray might be used a bit too liberally! Hopefully it will help.

looksee wrote: »
    I was interested in the colour of the cat as I have now come across numerous black cats, rather skinny shorthairs, also with that brownish colour in the sun, and they are all ridiculously nervous. Mine behaves as though the world (including me) is out to get her and she will startle at the smallest thing, is very difficult to catch and does a runner if anyone else comes into the house.

Except that while she treats me during the day as though she is expecting to be assaulted, at night she comes and sleeps on my bed, entirely at her own convenience, and is very difficult to move :) When she figures its bedtime she comes and walks on me, nudges up to me, looks for affection and waits outside the bathroom door demanding that I get a move on.
    Our Bunk is a black cat and whilst he loves me to death (sometimes it's overbearing) he's very skittish around anyone else and will dart through doorways and such instead of walking calmly. Maybe it is a black cat thing.

That's really interesting! Our last cat was always very gentle from when she was a kitten, you could do anything to her! Some of my family are a little put out that she isn't very friendly and scratches or walks away when near :/
    Still trying to get her out of the biting thing... Sometimes she bites when she is licking my hand but other times she seems to bite if she's doing something wrong like when I lift her off the table and she knows she's been caught!
    She is just so cute though, thanks for the help again :)

• Advertisement

Is there a difference between the diffuser and spray? I like the idea of the spray as I could spray it where ever I wanted as opposed to one diffuser. The spray would probably get used needlessly a lot more but maybe it is better?
    Also does it smell? I'm fairly sure I'm going to buy it so thanks for your advice!

There's a slight smell off it, but it's not awful. It smells of valerian but not as severe as the valerian toys would. The only think I don't like about the diffuser is the fact my cat is very attracted to it and likes to lick where the smell comes from.. does seem too safe to have him licking a plug! So I just use the spray now and let him lick the cushions etc to his hearts content!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I have a skinny black cat and her fur goes brownish in the sun.. extremely skittish! Indoor only and if someone comes to our apartment we don't see her until the person has left! She will come snuggle on the couch with us but other times if you move too quickly she makes a brrrr noises and runs off! We had a feliway plugin for a while but I'm not sure it made a difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Zoo Plus on line is great to get the feliway from much cheaper than the shops...

Advertisement