Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

marno21 wrote:
    Looks like its headed for BFS?

No LN-NHB is, that guy as swung SW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

The Providence flight is probably more lucrative. Providence has a railway station connection and it has 6 million passengers, so it's probably more up to standard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    No LN-NHB is, that guy as swung SW.
    I see that now, seems to be headed for Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

LN-NII (B738) just landed in ORK after coming from ARN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Based on those early reports, this isn't an option I'd consider, no matter how cheap. 

As it currently stands they are using a standard 737-800, the same themselves and Ryanair use across Europe so thin seats, no entertainment and no food. Fine for intra-Europe, different across the Atlantic. The 737-MAX will do nothing to improve the on board comfort, they've got no entertainment, even thinner seats and no power ports. The free wifi should work better at least. 

As for the airports, unless you're driving your own car I can see it being a bit of hassle getting into the city. This will work for locals of the airports but not ideal for Irish tourists or business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Based on those early reports, this isn't an option I'd consider, no matter how cheap.

As it currently stands they are using a standard 737-800, the same themselves and Ryanair use across Europe so thin seats, no entertainment and no food. Fine for intra-Europe, different across the Atlantic. The 737-MAX will do nothing to improve the on board comfort, they've got no entertainment, even thinner seats and no power ports. The free wifi should work better at least.

As for the airports, unless you're driving your own car I can see it being a bit of hassle getting into the city. This will work for locals of the airports but not ideal for Irish tourists or business.

It all depends upon your budget, how you value your time, and where you are actually going to.

These flights will suit some people, but not others, who will prefer the alternative long haul options.

Horses for courses and there's room for both in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd have the same view, but expect some harsh replies.

Being honest, I think it's a game of wait and see once the novelty wears off.

Funny how people are happy to travel to airports outside Metropolitian areas in Europe, but when it comes to the United States (Already stated PVD airport has a direct rail link to New York City and Boston), this is somehow now not a realistic option.

I personally have no problem travelling to an airport outside of an urban area, as long as there is sufficient public transport attached to the airport that can get me out and back in a timely manner.

I wouldn't have a problem flying to PVD.

Wasn't long!

Well, it's right.

http://www.pvdairport.com/get-here/trains

I see nothing wrong with the PVD option at least.

No different to taking the Thameslink service from LGW or Stansted Express from STN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

For the record, the inaugural Irish flights today are being operated by:

D8 1821 - Cork-Providence - LN-NII (Positioned from Stockholm)
    D8 1763 - Dublin-Stewart - LN-NHA (Positioned from Oslo)
    D8 1801 - Belfast-Providence - LN-NHB (Positioned from Oslo)
    D8 8838 - Belfast-Stewart - EI-FJS (Positioned from Edinburgh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Flew out there over the house a couple of minutes ago grand sight. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Funny how people are happy to travel to airports outside Metropolitian areas in Europe, but when it comes to the United States (Already stated PVD airport has a direct rail link to New York City and Boston), this is somehow now not a realistic option.

I personally have no problem travelling to an airport outside of an urban area, as long as there is sufficient public transport attached to the airport that can get me out and back in a timely manner.

I wouldn't have a problem flying to PVD.

People have huge problems with this in Europe, too, though. Theres a reason 'Paris' Beauvais and 'Brussels' Charleroi are avoided by anyone who can, now that word has gotten out over how far they are from their nominal cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Despite the naysayers we have a historic lift-off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I see this as being no different to my next flight (although longer flight time) which will be Hahn-Kerry.
    I'll have on site parking on one side and hire car on the other. I don't care that either airport are remote from where the industry insiders saw people want to go.
    They've only got to fill a 737 sized plane, not an A380. Get about 120 to 130 passengers and they are probably at break even and beyond that is profit.
    Good luck to them.

I'd really love to hear in a few weeks time about aboutt he load factor on these flights, especially westbound and from Cork.

There was a bit said about how many seats that Norweigan could actually fill ex ORK with the headwinds and length of the runway. Whats more, much of that was in the belief that it was going to be the MAX operating this route from the start and not the 737-800 that will operate for the next couple of months.

By the way, heres a video of todays inaugural departure ex ORK:

How do you know that the 737-800 will be on for the next few months? 2 737MAX have arrived and will be in service in two weeks!

Also, I'd like to point out its summer, and that headwinds can be much much stronger in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Flying to PVD in August and can't say I'm looking forward to the flight, am 6'3 but have booked aisle seat at least. Flight was a third of what Aer Lingus (who I usually go with to Boston) were charging when I was looking to book so can't really complain.

Is the 737 MAX Norwegian will be using the same plane as the newer Ryanair fleet with different cabin roof lighting? was on one of those coming back from Edinburgh there the other week.

Flying to PVD in August and can't say I'm looking forward to the flight, am 6'3 but have booked aisle seat at least. Flight was a third of what Aer Lingus (who I usually go with to Boston) were charging when I was looking to book so can't really complain.

Is the 737 MAX Norwegian will be using the same plane as the newer Ryanair fleet with different cabin roof lighting? was on one of those coming back from Edinburgh there the other week.

The newer Ryanair fleet are still the regular 737-800, just with new interiors. The 737MAX is a different aircraft.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How do you know that the 737-800 will be on for the next few months? 2 737MAX have arrived and will be in service in two weeks!

Also, I'd like to point out its summer, and that headwinds can be much much stronger in winter.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/273062/norwegian-737max-8-s17-service-entry-changes-as-of-29may17/

I was going from the above, presumably they will switch to MAX8 sooner assuming the aircraft are in service.

I know the headwinds are stronger in winter but i'm not sure i;ve ever seen anyone confirm, even in the best of conditions that the 738 can make it transatlantic from Cork with a full passenger load.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

The author of this piece is 6'3 also

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/norwegian-air-737-max-8-tour/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

IBK1821 on descent into Providence now. No refuelling stops required. Be interesting to see the load on the flight.

I believe there was a 95% load onboard from Cork today.

marno21 wrote: »
    IBK1821 on descent into Providence now. No refuelling stops required. Be interesting to see the load on the flight.

If it required a fuel stop on a summer day with a slack Jetstream would that not completely destory the economics of the service?

Basically, should we not have expected the service to not have a fuel stop?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If it required a fuel stop on a summer day with a slack Jetstream would that not completely destory the economics of the service?

Basically, should we not have expected the service to not have a fuel stop?
    There were a fair share of people commenting that it would be impossible and that it either wouldn't make it off the end of the runway in Cork or need a stop in Keflavik/St. Johns no matter what the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I saw pictures from on-board the Cork flight and it looked far from full...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Have Norwegian ever actually turned a profit?

They just throw darts on a map and think it'll make good business. If this industry went belly up in the morning they would be among the first to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I saw pictures from on-board the Cork flight and it looked far from full...

You are aware loads are capped to around 160 and there was around 150 booked to fly.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You are aware loads are capped to around 160 and there was around 150 booked to fly.

Loads called to 160 for what reasoning? Payload restriction?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

$132 million

https://www.norwegian.com/en/about/company/investor-relations/reports-and-presentations/annual-reports/

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/norwegian-air-to-accelerate-capacity-growth-in-2017-1.2836691

http://atwonline.com/airline-financials/norwegian-posts-132-million-2016-net-profit

1123heavy wrote: »
    Have Norwegian ever actually turned a profit?

They just throw darts on a map and think it'll make good business. If this industry went belly up in the morning they would be among the first to go.

Advertisement