Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

L1011 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the airframe can't make it from SNN to PVD if given infinite runway. Not enough fuel capacity; not limited by runway length.

Should be within range and even on a windy day, the 800 is capable of just over 3000 miles (nautical), the great circle distance to PVD is 2553, so unless the jet stream is seriously strong and can't be avoided, or the ATC routing is seriously off the great circle, there should not be too many issues.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Is that figure fully loaded? Bkehoe doesn't seem to think the Max has the performance from Ireland to make the East Coast during strong Jetstream periods, despite having a range of 3,515 Nautical Miles.

Is that figure fully loaded? Bkehoe doesn't seem to think the Max has the performance from Ireland to make the East Coast during strong Jetstream periods, despite having a range of 3,515 Nautical Miles.

Depends on which source you believe. For the 800, which is in service, so in theory accurate, the max range is limited to 162 passengers, so clearly there are some compromises. As for the newer versions, on line sources are vague about the exact capabilities, with one source suggesting that a range increase is due in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

a range of 3,515 Nautical Miles.

Published marketing figures are not based on 189 seats and do not reflect what could easily be an average wind component of over -50kts on a flight from Ireland to the US.

L1011 is talking about MTOW. If you fill the tanks on a 737 then you can't fill the cabin in a dense loco seating plan without exceeding the MTOW. The Max has a higher MTOW but with these routes having more hold baggage than typical EU loco routes then I still don't believe you can load the aircraft in the way you suggested above.

The aircraft has the range, the NG even has the range to fly from Cork-US non-stop year round but the usable payload is the issue. Either the payload has to be capped or non-stop 365 days a year isn't going to happen. No-show pax and typical winter 'low season' traffic loads will of course naturally help with this as well.

To be clear, Cork is a RTOW limitation. The aircraft can not take off at MTOW from Cork unless there is a huge headwind on the ground, dry runway, high QNH, low temperature, etc, therefore the RTOW becomes limiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

MoeJay wrote: »
    Most of their competitors in Ireland (including the US carriers) have been hoarding cash for a while so they can afford to burn a bit in order to get rid of NAI/NAS/NAx (delete as appropriate). Interesting times ahead.

Very true. One hopes this fiasco is put to an end quite soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Fabulous airline, flew with them today for the same price of a bus ticket to Cork. Full plane. Going to New York with my friend in 2 weeks from Dublin cant wait.
    Another Irish Success and achievements with good cheap travel. Everybody can fly and new planes. Fabbbbb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

mikel97 wrote: »
    Another Irish Success
    What is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

mikel97 wrote: »
    Fabulous airline, flew with them today for the same price of a bus ticket to Cork. Full plane. Going to New York with my friend in 2 weeks from Dublin cant wait.
    Another Irish Success and achievements with good cheap travel. Everybody can fly and new planes. Fabbbbb

How much did you pay? Any chance you get taxis and not buses to Cork?

Irish success?

Google is ure friend........

My fair to New York was 187 euro return.

Norwegian Air International
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Norwegian Air International

Norwegian Air International is an Irish low-cost airline and a fully integrated subsdiary of Norwegian Air Shuttle, using its corporate identity. It operates flights to European destinations from several bases in Finland, Spain, Italy and the United Kingdom; and is headquartered at Dublin Airport.[1]

Norwegian isn't Irish, they just registered a company in Ireland for tax reasons, fairly simple!

Also, €187 return? Jesus what bus do you go on? Great fare no doubt but come on, bus fare really?

• Advertisement

Also I'd like to point out that none of today's flights have landed in the states yet :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Why is there such a lack of goodwill towards Norwegian?

gizmo81 wrote: »

Staff on Asian contracts, questionable company structure etc etc.

My flight from Oslo today cost me 37 Euro but was booked about 3 months ago.

Theyre the only airline I can afford to travel for my first trip to New york on. every other company is crazy prices for my budget. And I love their enthusiastic crew and the wifi and the interior of there planes. Works for me.

New York hotels are very, very expensive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Look around and pick the right time of year, there are deals to be had. But of course, its NYC, its always going to be dearer than Waterford.

As Mike pointed out above, his flight cost €37. What customer will question the company that offers that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

gizmo81 wrote: »

Some airlines and staff of other airlines feel threatened by their arrival into the Irish market.

And rightly so....

€37? From where to where? Because if it's Europe to the US I would be extremely skeptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'm guessing from the cost that his flight today was from Oslo to Dublin with Norwegian (the parent airline).

Don't really understand the point in that case, I can fly Ryanair to plenty of places in Europe for that price or cheaper.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Look around and pick the right time of year, there are deals to be had. But of course, its NYC, its always going to be dearer than Waterford.

As Mike pointed out above, his flight cost €37. What customer will question the company that offers that?

Your looking at at least £200 per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Let's hope their days are numbered. Anything to wipe that smug look off Kjos' face.

They are like a disease attempting to spread across the planet (quite literally).

I would honestly pay an extra 200 and go with Aer Lingus, receive proper service, know the staff are being taken care of properly and not give a penny to this crowd.

Yeah I saw the prices but Im lucky I will stay with my brother and his wife for a week b4 we go to south of new jersey camping.

If it wasnt for the Norwegian Airlines I wouldnt be able to see my brother this year so im happy theyre here. I hope its the older 737 that does it as the new one they got yesterday have no wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Don't really understand the point in that case, I can fly Ryanair to plenty of places in Europe for that price or cheaper.

Ryanair don't fly from Oslo to Dublin.

There are still plenty of places that they don't fly to!

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Some airlines and staff of other airlines feel threatened by there arrival into the Irish market.

And rightly so....

Deja Vue. A long time ago, (late 80's) I didn't need a radio to hear the howls of outrage when the government of the day took some routes (Stansted, Liverpool and Munich if memory serves) off Aer Lingus and gave them to Ryanair, there were all manner of accusations made about the validity or otherwise of the actions that were taken to prevent Ryanair from going into bankruptcy, which it was very close to doing.

How times have changed!

I wonder if the howls of protest would be so loud if Ryanair had started the routes that Norwegian have started? Or would it have been a case of a different attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

1123heavy wrote: »
    Let's hope their days are numbered. Anything to wipe that smug look off Kjos' face.

They are like a disease attempting to spread across the planet (quite literally).

I would honestly pay an extra 200 and go with Aer Lingus, receive proper service, know the staff are being taken care of properly and not give a penny to this crowd.

Zzzzzzz

lxflyer wrote: »
    Ryanair don't fly from Oslo to Dublin.

There are still plenty of places that they don't fly to!

That wasn't my point, my point is that a €37 fare within Europe isn't that amazing or amazing at all really I can get an SAS flight (Shannon-Stockholm) for a similar price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Rawr

This post has been deleted.

I do miss that route too. I'm based in Oslo and RYG was a handy little airport to jet out of (took about as much time to get to as OSL).

Given the choice I did tend to prefer DY since it felt like they had a better product. The seats on their 738s are bit more comfortable than the FR 738s and the communal overhead IFE was a nice touch (watching classic cartoons on it really does eat into the 2 hours :D )

However I do miss the option of Ryanair. Without them Norwegian and SAS are the only direct options to Dublin, and maddeningly they have a knack of timing their flights for nearly exactly the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Also I'd like to point out that none of today's flights have landed in the states yet :)

mikel97 registers today and posts 5 times in this thread, he posts about how his flight is cheaper than a bus (and is proven false), and is also apparently posting about being on a flight and how amazing it was, when it has yet to even land...

An interesting combination :pac:

Advertisement