Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This post has been deleted.

It wasn't just them, the route was always close to the chop they could of moved to to both other Oslo airports, it went from 9 to 3 weekly pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Blut2 wrote: »
    mikel97 registers today and posts 5 times in this thread, he posts about how his flight is cheaper than a bus (and is proven false), and is also apparently posting about being on a flight and how amazing it was, when it has yet to even land...

An interesting combination :pac:

Loada nonsense as with much of the pro norwegian rhetoric. People here clearly have no idea of the damage this is doing to the industry. I really hope they go, as mean as it may sound it is for the best of all. And yes, including the consumer.

1123heavy wrote: »
    Let's hope their days are numbered. Anything to wipe that smug look off Kjos' face.

They are like a disease attempting to spread across the planet (quite literally).

I would honestly pay an extra 200 and go with Aer Lingus, receive proper service, know the staff are being taken care of properly and not give a penny to this crowd.

Why so negative?

I still believe a lot of their long haul network is loss making or marginally profitable. Their entry to the Irish market saw a lot of introductory fares, they will need to increase them a lot to become viable, the question is can they increase them enough to make money and find a place in the market to take enough passengers from legacy carriers to work.

They have so many aircraft on order and not a great business plan to make them all work like other low cost carriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I still believe a lot of their long haul network is loss making are marginally profitable. Their entry to the Irish market saw a lot of introductory fares, they will need to increase them a lot to become viable, the question is can they increase them enough to make money and find a place in the market to take enough passengers from legacy carriers to work.

Nail on the head there imo Jamie, but the real question is, can long haul be done at a low cost in reality? What fare level do Norwegian need, and will this fare level get passengers. As most passengers will likely be travelling to New York and Boston respectively (I don't believe either Providence or Steward can sustain transatlantic routes on their own market, especially the latter), will these sustainable fares be enough?

Interesting times ahead.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Nail on the head there imo Jamie, but the real question is, can long haul be done at a low cost in reality? What fare level do Norwegian need, and will this fare level get passengers. As most passengers will likely be travelling to New York and Boston respectively (I don't believe either Providence or Steward can sustain transatlantic routes on their own market, especially the latter), will these sustainable fares be enough?

Interesting times ahead.

It can be done by low cost (not like Europe) but just not sure DY are best placed to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

For me anyway, and I might be totally wrong, but the economics of it have difficulty stacking up.

737s with load restrictions travelling on already thin routes with no business class to bump up income together with a relatively unpleasant experience that may not entice people back for a 2nd time.

In addition to it being very poor aircraft utilization for a new 737 and the relatively low income to begin with given these are bottom of the barrel fares, where is the money going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

They are like a disease attempting to spread across the planet (quite literally).
    I know people who worked for Aer Lingus who said exactly the same thing about Ryanair. Why such bitterness? They are providing a service that people seem to want.
    I would honestly pay an extra 200 and go with Aer Lingus, receive proper service, know the staff are being taken care of properly and not give a penny to this crowd.
    Fair enough if you can afford to pay more but why be the begrudger?
    I have no reason to visit the USA again but I wish Norwegian T/A from IRL the same success as Ryanair in becoming one of the game-changers. Long overdue.
    People here clearly have no idea of the damage this is doing to the industry
    Nonsense, I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Flights also go to Bergen in Norway, would this not be an even longer distance? Are flights currently struggling with payload restrictions from there?

IBK1831 from Bergen to Providence on its maiden flight yesterday had to make a stop in Keflavik.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/d81831/#df0a8e5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Loada nonsense as with much of the pro norwegian rhetoric. People here clearly have no idea of the damage this is doing to the industry. I really hope they go, as mean as it may sound it is for the best of all. And yes, including the consumer.

Damage? You mean to loads in DUB?

It can be done by low cost (not like Europe) but just not sure DY are best placed to do it.

What airline do you reckon then?

• Advertisement

What airline do you reckon then?

It's hard to call, DY have jumped through so many hoops to cu labor costs yet they have spent (sorry borrowed) millions to purchase new aircraft and lease others. This is not cheap and it's hard to see when they will make a return as their financial position isn't great at a time when fuel is pretty low as well.

The lack of feed from their own short haul network and partners combined with out of town airports in the US won't help long term.

When JetBlue enter the market in a few years thy could really damage DY in IE/UK with the 321 LR serving markets such as JFK/BOS and there Mint product is pretty decent if offered on T/A. Likewise WestJet will have a similar impact.

It will just get more changeling in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Blut2 wrote: »
    mikel97 registers today and posts 5 times in this thread, he posts about how his flight is cheaper than a bus (and is proven false), and is also apparently posting about being on a flight and how amazing it was, when it has yet to even land...

An interesting combination :pac:

So I actually registered after my flight from Oslo to Dublin to check out DJ jobsi and the fair i paid was 1 euro cheaper than my last return bus trip from Belfast to Cork which took along time. Who prove me false why dont u take the time to read my post. English is ure first language its not mine. Yes and my flight from Oslo was amazing and landed at 3pm. Oh and Norwegian Airlines have wifi no other airline in Ireland has it that I know. Wots the big deal?
    And so Wot if i posted 5 times, on another non english forum I posted a couple of hundred times about dj equipments and people assist not argue. Norwegian Airlines for me (its my opinion) are great, i can travel cheaply and many more times than if i use aerlingus or ryanair which i dont like. Its my opinion i dont care if u agree or not. no interest in ure opinion.

I don't think that even merits a reply.

Plus, we are all talking about Ireland to USA, I don't know where Dublin-Oslo came into the equation, doesn't make sense.

It's hard to call, DY have jumped through so many hoops to cu labor costs yet they have spent (sorry borrowed) millions to purchase new aircraft and lease others. This is not cheap and it's hard to see when they will make a return as their financial position isn't great at a time when fuel is pretty low as well.

The lack of feed from their own short haul network and partners combined with out of town airports in the US won't help long term.

When JetBlue enter the market in a few years thy could really damage DY in IE/UK with the 321 LR serving markets such as JFK/BOS and there Mint product is pretty decent if offered on T/A. Likewise WestJet will have a similar impact.

I hope that lots of airlines do the us routes, the more the cheaper for me. I checked all the airlines and Norwegian was cheaper by 500 euro for same dates and im happy. The rest of u can fly with ure prefer airline. i have a cheap trip and happy. Yes bring every airline to Dublin

Jetblue probably won't serve secondary markets like Belfast, though. The Premium cabin is a problem in Ireland.

mikel97 wrote: »
    So I actually registered after my flight from Oslo to Dublin to check out DJ jobsi and the fair i paid was 1 euro cheaper than my last return bus trip from Belfast to Cork which took along time. Who prove me false why dont u take the time to read my post. English is ure first language its not mine. Yes and my flight from Oslo was amazing and landed at 3pm. Oh and Norwegian Airlines have wifi no other airline in Ireland has it that I know. Wots the big deal? Are u Challenged?
    And so Wot if i posted 5 times, on another non english forum I posted a couple of hundred times about dj equipments and people assist not argue. Norwegian Airlines for me (its my opinion) are great, i can travel cheaply and many more times than if i use aerlingus or ryanair which i dont like. Its my opinion i dont care if u agree or not. no interest in ure opinion.

Aer Lingus has wifi. I have personally used it over the Atlantic.

I don't think that even merits a reply.

Plus, we are all talking about Ireland to USA, I don't know where Dublin-Oslo came into the equation, doesn't make sense.

It came from my post at 1809 where i said they were great . I flyed with them for the first time today from Oslo. and was very happy as i booked a flight to the US ages ago and was wondering what would be the experience. Its called research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Not sure where everyone gets the idea other airlines "lookbafter their crew"? If you look at te kind of contrast newly recruited Aer Lingus or British Airways crew get, it is hardly any different to what the different Norwegian subsidiaries offer.

As for the choice between an Aer Lingus A330 and a Norwegian 738, there is very little in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Nonsense, I'm afraid.

EU based workers flying transatlantic flights on Asian contracts. Nothing out of the ordinary at all no :confused: This alone should send all alarm bells ringing.

They have been a major contributor to the downward spiral of t&c's in this business. They are leading the 'race to the bottom' that has blighted this industry for so long.

And before anyone mentions Ryanair ... no, there is no comparison. Ryanair are streets ahead of them on the employment side, especially flight deck.

The only comfort is that as many have said, these guys are buying on borrowed cash. The group as a whole has unprecedented levels of debt, levels of debt that warrant consolidation, not chaotic expansion. I patiently await the day I hear they are no longer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aer Lingus has wifi. I have personally used it over the Atlantic.

Wifi is free on Norwegian, you have to pay for AL's wifi and it doesn't seem to work a lot of the time!

I have to say using Wifi for free a few years ago to Oslo was amazing. Really helped make the time fly by :D

I find the same when taking Aircoach/GoBE to Cork, it makes the trip feel much faster and much easier.

I suspect free wifi would help take off the edge of a 7 hour trip in a 737.

There'll be no WiFi on the MAX for the best part of a year.

Also, I'm not even sure the 737 WiFi would work great over the Atlantic at this stage anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

My flight to USA is €200 return I can download movies on Netflix to my iPad before I travel.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    My flight to USA is €200 return I can download movies on Netflix to my iPad before I travel.

Really? Jaysus never heard about that before! (Extreme sarcasm btw)

Using a phone to watch Netflix on my recent 4 hour flight, have to say, does not have anywhere near the same experience as using a PTV, infact after an hour I had enough and just put it away.

While that's great for you, it is, in my opinion, unreasonable to expect that everyone will, or even most, chances are a significant number of people on the flights will just be restless for 7 hours!

EU based workers flying transatlantic flights on Asian contracts. Nothing out of the ordinary at all no :confused: This alone should send all alarm bells ringing.

They have been a major contributor to the downward spiral of t&c's in this business. They are leading the 'race to the bottom' that has blighted this industry for so long.

And before anyone mentions Ryanair ... no, there is no comparison. Ryanair are streets ahead of them on the employment side, especially flight deck.

The only comfort is that as many have said, these guys are buying on borrowed cash. The group as a whole has unprecedented levels of debt, levels of debt that warrant consolidation, not chaotic expansion. I patiently await the day I hear they are no longer.

Um? Aren't the flight attendants American?

Dude, I don't know what you expect for €200.

I flew to New York with Aer Lingus for €500 last time, no wifi except for a fee. Food included that wasn't particularly edible unless i paid for an upgrade.

People are clouded by nostalgia and mis-directed loyalty.

I'm sure €300 extra spending money in my pocket will soothe any restlessness.

Using a phone to watch Netflix on my recent 4 hour flight, have to say, does not have anywhere near the same experience as using a PTV, infact after an hour I had enough and just put it away.

While that's great for you, it is, in my opinion, unreasonable to expect that everyone will, or even most, changes are a significant number of people on the flights will just be restless for 7 hours!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There'll be no WiFi on the MAX for the best part of a year.

Also, I'm not even sure the 737 WiFi would work great over the Atlantic at this stage anyway?

Sure, but it will come later in the year and be free, great :)

They use a satellite based system, not ground based, so flying over the Atlantic shouldn't make a difference.

I agree AerLingus PTV is terrible, one of the worst I've ever used, ready for the bin :p

I much prefer my iPad, vastly superior. I agree that a small screen phone isn't great. But then €300 you are saving will buy you a nice iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Again horses for courses - it'll appeal to some people who are price sensitive, but who are not as time sensitive.

It's not going to appeal to everyone, but it may appeal to sufficient numbers of people to fill the smaller aircraft.

I think dismissing it straight away is a bit hasty to be honest.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea necessarily, but I can imagine plenty of people who will be prepared to use it.

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Dude, I don't know what you expect for €200.

I flew to New York with Aer Lingus for €500 last time, no wifi except for a fee. Food included that wasn't particularly edible unless i paid for an upgrade.

People are clouded by nostalgia and mis-directed loyalty.

I'm sure €300 extra spending money in my pocket will soothe any restlessness.

This is also what bugs me, it's not €300 saving unless you're not going to buy a single food item or beverage onboard, you stick with you're 10kg hand baggage, and you don't select your seat.

If not, fair enough, you can save €300 and have no real IFE + a long bus journey into Boston or NYC, providing that's your destination. I think the savings compensate this.

I don't begrudge the service, but on here it's clear that people do not want to accept any criticism of the service! This has gone to the point where accounts have been set up to promote the service. There's massive issues, which some people can overcome, some will just fly with who they normally fly with. Anyone who doesn't conform with this view of perfection is considered tight or a whinge or any one of the many names that have been thrown out over the course of the thread.

• Advertisement

I think the anger is mis-guided. Criticise the service when you use it. You don't get unlimited free snacks and beverages on Aer Lingus, have you flown to NY with them?

Last time I flew with Aer lingus into JFK and hired a private driver, it took forever to get into our Times Sq Hotel.

I am traveling for 3 days to New York with Norwegian, something i wouldn't have considered with Aer Lingus with the price tag.

I will get the direct bus into Port Authority for €35 return near my Time Sq. hotel.

So for under €650 I have three days in New York during peak-season. I was pacing Berlin for this month and it was the same price point.

I will only have my cabin-max bag. I will have lunch before I fly and might buy some snacks/nuts/drinks on the plane. Which I buy on any flight regardless of price.

This is also what bugs me, it's not €300 saving unless you're not going to buy a single food item or beverage onboard, you stick with you're 10kg hand baggage, and you don't select your seat.

If not, fair enough, you can save €300 and have no real IFE + a long bus journey into Boston or NYC, providing that's your destination. I think the savings compensate this.

I don't begrudge the service, but on here it's clear that people do not want to accept any criticism of the service! There's massive issues, which some people can overcome, some will just fly with who they normally fly with. Anyone who doesn't conform with this view of perfection is considered tight or a whinge or any one of the many names that have been thrown out over the course of the thread.

Advertisement