Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

So without taking any sides in this DY vs Legacy cost debate I have taken the time this morning to do a few dummy bookings with EI and DY (or whatever subsidiary it is who fly the routes) to look at actual cost.

3 trips to BOS on random dates and 3 trips to NY on random dates.... these dates were in the middle Sept, end of Oct and beginning on Jan and were the same for both airlines. For DY I selected the option that gave 20kg checked bag plus a meal... This was just to even it up with what you get with EI.

Despite all the hoopla about cheaper fares, for every trip, EI were cheaper... one of them was wait for it €500 cheaper! All bookings were for 2 return. This isn't to say great deals cant be got, but it does say that you have to go looking for them and the dates you find them may not be suitable/convenient!

You're also forgetting to add in the cost of the bus to actually get to NYC from the airport there, thats another approx 50eur to add to the Norwegian fare for most passengers.

I think the super cheap fares were mostly introductory. When theres 250e of savings on a fare there can be an argument made for putting up with the lack of IFE, no food, smaller planes, inconvenient airport etc. I wouldn't personally go for it - but I can see why budget conscious travelers might.

But when the price difference goes down to 50-100eur, or none at all, its going to be extremely hard for Norwegian to compete with Aer Lingus or any of the American carriers with their lower quality product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blut2 wrote: »
    You're also forgetting to add in the cost of the bus to actually get to NYC from the airport there, thats another approx 50eur to add to the Norwegian fare for most passengers.

$35 return for the bus.

UberPool from JFK is $50 and Taxi $80 one way.

Yes there is the airtrain and subway to JFK. But that particular subway is seriously dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it. The last time I took it, two fights broke out within 2 meters of me with 10 minutes of each other :eek:

So no, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, even as a seasoned public transport user. I'd recommend UberPool instead and at that cost, you are over the cost of the bus to Stewart anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly the first few blog reports of trips seem to be largely positive.

Food not great and pity lack of power and IFE, but interestingly no major complaints about legroom or seats.

Most seem largely happy that it is good value for money if you got a cheap ticket.

Overall seems to be much like I suspect it would be. People fine with it if cheap and 7 hours not that much of a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Blut2 wrote: »
    You're also forgetting to add in the cost of the bus to actually get to NYC from the airport

I intentionally left out the cost of getting to and from the respective airports in order to ensure my comparison was be black and white.

Also as mentioned, if you go with no bag and no food than the cost comes down significantly, and in some cases on the bookings I done may have been cheaper (I don't know because I didn't select those fares) but again, I wanted to see a like for like comparison.. I agree many people will forgo a bag and meal, but likewise, manly people wont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I agree many people will forgo a bag and meal, but likewise, manly people wont
    I can't be the only one who stuffs my bag with snacks/fruit from the cupboard/fruit bowl/fridge that will be gone off by the time I arrive back from my trip and eat it on the trip or am I just an especially frugal. I figure that if it is good enough to eat at my kitchen table or on the sofa it is good enough to eat while waiting for or on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Snacks may be ok but if you're doing preclearance, US Customs will take great exception to your fruit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

bk wrote: »

Food not great and pity lack of power and IFE, but interestingly no major complaints about legroom or seats.

Most seem largely happy that it is good value for money if you got a cheap ticket.

Overall seems to be much like I suspect it would be. People fine with it if cheap and 7 hours not that much of a stretch.

Were they westbound or eastbound reports?

It's the latter that would be the greater issue given it's a night flight I suspect?

lxflyer wrote: »
    Were they westbound or eastbound reports?

It's the latter that would be the greater issue given it's a night flight I suspect?

The first two I read were both surprisingly eastbound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

Link to blogs would be helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'd like to see the blogs too, I can't find any.
    I'm doing the trip myself next week from Shannon.

• Advertisement

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Link to blogs would be helpful!

Sorry I hadn't them on hand at the time, here is one:

http://layoverhub.net/trip-report-flying-the-737-with-norwegian-newburghstewart-edinburgh/
    Even though this aircraft is regularly used for short-haul flights within Europe, the amount of legroom was decent, as well as the recline of the seat.
    For the price that I paid, the flight met expectations, and was enjoyable at that. If Norwegian manages to keep the prices as low as they are now, I would definitely go out of my way to fly out of Stewart with Norwegian. Even though there had been no in-seat entertainment, or power plugs, the professional crew and modern cabin design made the flight a very good experience. There is no doubt in my mind that if Norwegian can keep up the level of service that they’re providing, and improve on their few weak points, their services out of Stewart will thrive.

Even though they fly the same aircraft as Ryanair, I do remember from my time flying to Oslo a few years ago too it feeling a lot nicer then Ryanair. Seemed to have slightly more leg room, seats were more comfortable padding and reclined, tray tables and mesh on the seat backs. Also the colour scheme seemed more modern and MUCH more relaxing then Ryanair. Plus cartoons on the overhead screens and free wifi.

Of course still wouldn't be as nice as a widebody aircraft with all the frills, but also somewhat higher then Ryanair IMO.

Sorry I hadn't them on hand at the time, here is one:
    Aw, I thought they'd be about Ireland-US reviews. The Edinburgh reviews are two weeks old http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103831520&postcount=496

Aw, I thought they'd be about Ireland-US reviews. The Edinburgh reviews are two weeks old http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103831520&postcount=496

Sorry, no, but should be largely the same, same aircraft, airports on the US side, etc.

Only major difference here is they are using US pre-clearance in Terminal 2, which anyone who flies to the US regularly should know well already.

What most people were waiting to hear about was what the inflight experience is like and what Stewart is like, so the above blog entry should give you a good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

I will be writing a review for sure on my flight from Dublin to NYC when I go on the 15 July.
    Snacks will be packed, Ipads Ifones charged. Drink and chocys bought after security check.

Yet I see another airline called Wow be also doing flights but i think they have to stop in the Iceland as its a small plane. And the shannon airport has a few flights also. Good more choice. Choice is great. I see lots of airlines doing us flights and not just aer lingus as competition. I bet theyre worried now

https://www.ittn.ie/news/shannon-goes-transatlantic-with-norewegian/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Looking forward to your review.

I usually bring my Anker charger on European Flights, Will there be any restrictions for that travelling to USA I wonder?

mikel97 wrote: »
    I will be writing a review for sure on my flight from Dublin to NYC when I go on the 15 July.
    Snacks will be packed, Ipads Ifones charged. Drink and chocys bought after security check.

Yet I see another airline called Wow be also doing flights but i think they have to stop in the Iceland as its a small plane. And the shannon airport has a few flights also. Good more choice. Choice is great. I see lots of airlines doing us flights and not just aer lingus as competition. I bet theyre worried now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Should drinks not be added into the cost of the flight? You're going to pay a nice bit for drinks after USPC, and you'd otherwise get them free on a full carrier service.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Should drinks not be added into the cost of the flight? You're going to pay a nice bit for drinks after USPC, and you'd otherwise get them free on a full carrier service.
    Empty bottle and fill it with water after security.

What do you think Aer Lingus include for free?

Not usually a fan of Lovin Dublin

https://lovindublin.com/feature/pure-muck-aer-lingus-transatlantic-food

No free alcohol on Are Lingus from what I remember and the just gave you a glass from a large bottle of coke which I dint want

https://almostneverclever.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/dublin-trip-aer-lingus-economy-review/

You are not getting free choice on Are Lingus, whats included is what they give you.

I still had to buy a drink.

Check out this boards thread on service on transatlantic from last year.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055043465

You don't seem to know much about the service yet. Norwegian have started flights from Belfast/Dublin/Shannon to both Stewart and Providence, as well as Cork to Providence.

I don't think Aer Lingus have ever been the only airline flying Transatlantic from Ireland, at least not in my lifetime. You've always had Aer Lingus, Delta, United and American Airlines (and the old companies that merged to create these). Certainly from Shannon at least, the American 3 combined offer more annual capacity than Aer Lingus.

You seem to have a serious dislike of Aer Lingus, while I agree their product can be overpriced for what you get during the summer, is this your only reason for your like of the Norwegian service? Because I don't think the damage will be profound, not for now at least. I can't see any real damage to any of the current Transatlantic carriers until Norwegian move to the main airports like they currently do from Gatwick, Barcelona, Oslo etc.

Ah jaysus from where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Yep thats the plan.

Maybe they have that honesty box water after pre-clearance . . .
    Yep thats the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The Jacks?

I was guessing that was what was implied.

No thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You don't seem to be too familiar with who flies where from Dublin or Shannon across the Atlantic. There are already a lot of operators.

First of all, WOW only offer connecting services via Reykjavik - you have to change aircraft. It is no different to using British Airways via Heathrow for example.

For the record these are the existing operators on Transatlantic routes:

From Dublin:
    St John's: Westjet (Summer only)
    Halifax: ASL France (Summer only)
    Toronto: Aer Lingus; Air Canada Rouge; Air Transat (Summer Only); Westjet (Summer only via St John's - same aircraft)
    Montreal: Air Transat (Summer only)
    Vancouver: Air Canada Rouge (Summer only)
    Boston: Aer Lingus; Delta (Summer only)
    Hartford: Aer Lingus
    New York JFK: Aer Lingus; Delta; American (Summer only)
    Newark: Aer Lingus; United
    Washington: Aer Lingus;
    Philadelphia: American
    Chicago: Aer Lingus; American (Summer only); United (Summer only)
    Charlotte: American (Summer only)
    Atlanta: Delta (Summer only)
    Orlando: Aer Lingus
    Miami: Aer Lingus (from September)
    San Francisco: Aer Lingus
    Los Angeles: Aer Lingus; Ethiopian

From Shannon:
    Boston: Aer Lingus
    New York JFK: Aer Lingus; Delta (Summer only)
    Newark: United
    Philadelphia: American (Summer only)
    Chicago: United (Summer only)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I was guessing that was what was implied.

No thank you :)

Do they not have water fountains for filling your drinking water after uspc, they definitely have them beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The same people who travel in their hundreds of millions with LCC's like Ryanair, etc.

The point is these cheaper fares open up the East Coast of the US to the same type of 3 to 4 day trips that are so common around Europe. You really don't need much luggage for that. A cabin max bag easily fits two weeks worth of luggage.

Come off it BK. Flying 2hrs to Amsterdam with just carry on is not the same as flying 7.5hrs to the states. Budget conscious pax aren't going over for a day trip and are going generally require a larger suitcase for their 7-10 days in Boston.

I'm going for three days to New York with Norwegian.

ED E wrote: »
    Come off it BK. Flying 2hrs to Amsterdam with just carry on is not the same as flying 7.5hrs to the states. Budget conscious pax aren't going over for a day trip and are going generally require a larger suitcase for their 7-10 days in Boston.

• Advertisement

Today's inaugural Shannon to Providence flight has been cancelled due to a technical issue with the aircraft.

Advertisement