Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BZ

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Today's inaugural Shannon to Providence flight has been cancelled due to a technical issue with the aircraft.

Anti skid problem dame aircraft diverted yesterday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

JCX BXC wrote:
    Today's inaugural Shannon to Providence flight has been cancelled due to a technical issue with the aircraft.

Why does it say on Providence departures on FR 24 that the Edinburgh flight is cancelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

kub wrote: »
    Why does it say on Providence departures on FR 24 that the Edinburgh flight is cancelled?

Because there's an aircraft stuck in Shannon, so there's no aircraft in Providence to operate tonight's Edinburgh flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

lxflyer wrote: »
    You don't seem to be too familiar with who flies where from Dublin or Shannon across the Atlantic. There are already a lot of operators.

First of all, WOW only offer connecting services via Reykjavik - you have to change aircraft. It is no different to using British Airways via Heathrow for example.

For the record these are the existing operators on Transatlantic routes:

From Dublin:
    St John's: Westair (Summer only)
    Halifax: ASL France (Summer only)
    Toronto: Aer Lingus; Air Canada Rouge; Air Transat (Summer Only); Westair (Summer only via St John's - same aircraft)
    Montreal: Air Transat (Summer only)
    Vancouver: Air Canada Rouge (Summer only)
    Boston: Aer Lingus; Delta (Summer only)
    Hartford: Aer Lingus
    New York JFK: Aer Lingus; Delta; American (Summer only)
    Newark: Aer Lingus; United
    Philadelphia: American
    Chicago: Aer Lingus; American (Summer only)
    Charlotte: American (Summer only)
    Atlanta: Delta (Summer only)
    Orlando: Aer Lingus
    Miami: Aer Lingus (from September)
    San Francisco: Aer Lingus
    Los Angeles: Aer Lingus; Ethiopian

From Shannon:
    Boston: Aer Lingus
    New York JFK: Aer Lingus; Delta (Summer only)
    Newark: United
    Philadelphia: American (Summer only)
    Chicago: United (Summer only)

*Westjet*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

*Westjet*

D'oh - fixed!

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »

The flights are all interworked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You don't seem to be too familiar with who flies where from Dublin or Shannon across the Atlantic. There are already a lot of operators.

First of all, WOW only offer connecting services via Reykjavik - you have to change aircraft. It is no different to using British Airways via Heathrow for example.

From Dublin:
    St John's: Westjet (Summer only)
    Toronto: Aer Lingus; Air Canada Rouge; Air Transat (Summer Only); Westjet (Summer only via St John's - same aircraft)

From Shannon:

Don't forget Washington DC which Aer Lingus and United both have services from Dublin!:)

ongarboy wrote: »
    Don't forget Washington DC which Aer Lingus and United both have services from Dublin!:)
    Fixed!
    I think I've caught them all now - started out just doing the US, and then said I'd better include Canada - somehow Washington got left out!

Or else I'm trying to blot Washington out of my mind for some reason lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

This post has been deleted.

Couldn't help but laugh :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Fixed!
    I think I've caught them all now - started out just doing the US, and then said I'd better include Canada - somehow Washington got left out!

Or else I'm trying to blot Washington out of my mind for some reason lol!!

United go to Chicago too from Dublin during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

From Dublin:
    St John's: Westjet (Summer only)
    Toronto: Aer Lingus; Air Canada Rouge; Air Transat (Summer Only); Westjet (Summer only via St John's - same aircraft)
    Washington: Aer Lingus;

From Shannon:

For completeness United to Chicago ex DUB also

I think it goes to show that there is a significant amount of choice out there apart from just Aer Lingus as some people seem to think!

I think it goes to show that there is a significant amount of choice out there apart from just Aer Lingus as some people seem to think!

For most I think they are aware of the other choices but they just go with aer lingus cos they're Irish (yes I know IAG aren't). For many old people especially that I've spoken to, flying and Aer Lingus are somewhat synonymous.

Personally Aer Lingus are top of my list if I can help it. They earned my trust and rarely disappoint. There would have to be some serious savings to make me go with Delta or United et al.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Ah jaysus from where?

They have a drinking fountain which can be used to fill a water bottle after uspc, the DAA also have the honesty water bottle stand (something they don't get enough credit for, one of their better initiatives that saves pretty much every passenger a few Euro as the shops have had to drop their price)

They have a drinking fountain which can be used to fill a water bottle after uspc, the DAA also have the honesty water bottle stand (something they don't get enough credit for, one of their better initiatives that saves pretty much every passenger a few Euro as the shops have had to drop their price)

I concur. I must also say anytime I've been there people have dropped in the money too, I always admire the great display of honesty from the travelling public. Though having said that, I'm sure there are those who take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

8% https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/how-many-passengers-pay-for-water-at-dublin-airports-honesty-box-35201967.html

Dublin is a remarkably cheap airport for practically anything by European standards. Vending machines charging the same prices as ones anywhere else, bars within a reasonable margin of the city and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

1123heavy wrote: »
    I concur. I must also say anytime I've been there people have dropped in the money too, I always admire the great display of honesty from the travelling public. Though having said that, I'm sure there are those who take advantage.

98% compliance I read a few weeks back. At a Euro a bottle people are happy to pay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ED E wrote: »
    Come off it BK. Flying 2hrs to Amsterdam with just carry on is not the same as flying 7.5hrs to the states. Budget conscious pax aren't going over for a day trip and are going generally require a larger suitcase for their 7-10 days in Boston.

No I won't, what a load of nonsense!

First of all with flights around €200 to 250 this will really open up the east coast of the US to quick 3 or 4 day trips that are currently common in Europe. The weekend trippers who are well use to travelling with just carry on on Ryanair etc. There are a few people here on this thread doing exactly that.

I've been to NYC twice myself for just 3 days each time. Great fun for a weekend trip and easily doable with just carry on.

Also I regularly go on two week trips with just carry on (check out cabin max bags) even when luggage is included. Seriously easy to do.

Millions of people do this on the LCC's, I'm not sure why people are still surprised by this!! It is very common and even normal now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW first reviews coming in from people who are actually flying with them from Dub over on the Bargain Alerts forum and people seem to be really happy with it:
    Arrived in lovely sunny Providence - disembarking was a breeze - stroll straight off the plane and onto the street - no waiting for any customs officers etc.

Grab an uber and 16 dollars later I'm in central providence - nice!

Good to remember that lots of Irish people have family and friends living in or near Providence, so this service can be great addition for them.
    Same for Stewart NYC .arrived into baggage hall grab bag and straight out to waiting bus .1 hr 20 and we arrived at port authority .Have to say considering what I paid (€185) i would 100% fly with them again .No problems whatsoever

Sounds like it is quicker to get out of and too Manhattan from Stewart then it is from JFK!

So overall sounding pretty good so far. To be honest much like I expected. Clearly it isn't going to be a "Full service" airline. But quiet good value for money for some people.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Come off it BK. Flying 2hrs to Amsterdam with just carry on is not the same as flying 7.5hrs to the states. Budget conscious pax aren't going over for a day trip and are going generally require a larger suitcase for their 7-10 days in Boston.

I think you underestimate the numbers of people (especially younger people) who are happy to go for short mid-haul breaks (as in a long weekend).

The US northeast coast is most definitely mid-haul and doable for a weekend.

They won't need massive amounts of luggage (unless they're doing lots of shopping)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

I think you underestimate the numbers of people (especially younger people) who are happy to go for short mid-haul breaks (as in a long weekend).

The US northeast coast is most definitely mid-haul and doable for a weekend.

They won't need massive amounts of luggage (unless they're doing lots of shopping)!

I regularly fly DUB > NYC for work, unfortunately. The door to door travel time definitely rules out going over for a weekend. Its the 7.5hour flight time, plus the extra hour in the airport over normal flights to clear US immigration, plus travel time to/from the airports. You're looking at the guts of 12 hours door to door, and dealing with a 5 hour time difference. And most likely a red-eye flight home.

Its a longer door-to-door than traveling to Dubai, which nobody in their right mind would suggest going to for a 2/3 night weekend break from Dublin.

5 nights is about the minimum you need to make the trip worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Blut2 wrote: »
    I regularly fly DUB > NYC for work, unfortunately. The door to door travel time definitely rules out going over for a weekend. Its the 7.5hour flight time, plus the extra hour in the airport over normal flights to clear US immigration, plus travel time to/from the airports. You're looking at the guts of 12 hours door to door, and dealing with a 5 hour time difference. And most likely a red-eye flight home.

Its a longer door-to-door than traveling to Dubai, which nobody in their right mind would suggest going to for a 2/3 night weekend break from Dublin.

For your first time in New York, doing all the touristy stuff, I'd agree. However this now opens up a different avenue.

I'm a Dallas cowboys fan, and I try to get to one game a season, that usually means a 6 day holiday, IF Norwegian can keep a reasonable average price (admittedly a big if) it opens up the possibility of flying out to ny on a Saturday, going out to the game on Sunday, flying home Monday, I could hypothetically get to 3 away games a year.

I'm not claiming there's a huge gaggle of NFL fans in Ireland who Will suddenly make this profitable, but that's just one of the ways it'll open up travel, think if McGregor fights in msg, the amount of people who could do fri-sun without having to take a week of work/remortgage the house, families flying over for birthday's/christenings without breaking the bank.

I don't know if Norwegian are the great white hope that will revolutionize air travel, but if they provide (and sustain) a decent, affordable service, I'll definitely be flying to America a lot more.

I've done it at 3 nights, it is fine.

Obviously travelling for work is different then for pleasure. You need to be fresh for work, etc. But for fun you can be off the plane and straight into the pub.

For instance looking at Norwegian schedule, leave Dub on a Friday at 14:30, arrive 17:30 local, into Manhattan by 8ish and straight out to pub/club/dinner. There all day Saturday and Sunday. There for half of Monday, fly out at 19:55 and arrive into Dub at 7:55, head straight to work :D

Plenty of time to sample Manhattan and see the major sites IME and all with just two days off work (obviously depends on your type of work on the Tuesday).

I'm not saying another day or two wouldn't be nice. But fine for a quick bit is site seeing/partying/shopping.

I suspect you'd be surprised how many people might do it.

It all depends on individual circumstances and preferences.

It wouldn't appeal to me, like you I'd need more time, but I know plenty of people who have actually done just that.

Have never been past pre-clearance to know what was there in DUB.

And I'd agrees the honesty box is brilliant, just after security in T1, use it everytime I travel. I would love Shannon to take on that initiate, as generally I pay €5 for 2 750ml bottles there.

According to passengers on Twitter, passengers (or some of them at least) due to travel on the Norwegian flight from Shannon to Providence had to stay the night in Limerick, and are now being bussed to Belfast to get on the flight there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

According to passengers on Twitter, passengers (or some of them at least) due to travel on the Norwegian flight from Shannon to Providence had to stay the night in Limerick, and are now being bussed to Belfast to get on the flight there.
    Will they get €600pp EU261 too?
    Free hotel night and a cross country sing-a-long bus hike for perhaps a €140 return flight. Bargain! :D

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Will they get €600pp EU261 too?
    Free hotel night and a cross country sing-a-long bus hike for perhaps a €140 return flight. Bargain! :D

As it was an aircraft fault, yes of course they're entitled to compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Like BK I have done 3 nights plenty of times, get the first flight out of Dublin on a Friday morning and you be in manhattan at 12.30pm on the Friday. Fly home on the 7pm flight on Monday and touch down in Dublin around 7am on Tuesday morning and into work. That's over 3 full days in NYC so plenty of time for catching up and only 2 days vacation.

Very doable if it's a regular trip, if it's a first / once in a life time I would agree that you would need more time.

Advertisement