Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

etselbbuns wrote: »
    Will they get €600pp EU261 too?
    Free hotel night and a cross country sing-a-long bus hike for perhaps a €140 return flight. Bargain! :D

What If you were only going for three days though!?! :):):)

Providing they are easier to get the EU261 from than Ryanair, then I'd be happy with the cancellation!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

bk wrote: »
    No I won't, what a load of nonsense!

First of all with flights around €200 to 250 this will really open up the east coast of the US to quick 3 or 4 day trips that are currently common in Europe. The weekend trippers who are well use to travelling with just carry on on Ryanair etc. There are a few people here on this thread doing exactly that.

I've been to NYC twice myself for just 3 days each time. Great fun for a weekend trip and easily doable with just carry on.

Also I regularly go on two week trips with just carry on (check out cabin max bags) even when luggage is included. Seriously easy to do.

Millions of people do this on the LCC's, I'm not sure why people are still surprised by this!! It is very common and even normal now.

A 4 day trip to the United States with a 5 hour time difference? I think that's a bit much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭hynesie08

JCX BXC wrote: »
    What If you were only going for three days though!?! :):):)

You still have 2 days plus the money to book another trip, win win.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You still have 2 days plus the money to book another trip, win win.

My comment was severely sarcastic, although I must point out it must be great to so freely get time off work!

If the reliance of Norwegian becomes poor, maybe we should all try Norwegian! Best Case scenario, €600 and a trip to New York or Providence, worst case scenario, a trip to New York or Providence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

If the reliance of Norwegian becomes poor, maybe we should all try Norwegian! Best Case scenario, €600 and a trip to New York or Providence, worst case scenario, a trip to New York or Providence.
    You should put that to their marketing department :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A 4 day trip to the United States with a 5 hour time difference? I think that's a bit much.

This thread is littered with people saying that no one would do this or that, based purely on their own personal preferences.

While individuals here (including myself) wouldn't do it, there are plenty of people who would.

Travel preferences are very much down to individual taste, and guess what, everyone is different.

Again you may think it's a bit much (and personally I'd agree), but there's a large of people out there happy to do it.

People need to accept that we all have different preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Like BK I have done 3 nights plenty of times, get the first flight out of Dublin on a Friday morning and you be in manhattan at 12.30pm on the Friday. Fly home on the 7pm flight on Monday and touch down in Dublin around 7am on Tuesday morning and into work. That's over 3 full days in NYC so plenty of time for catching up and only 2 days vacation.

Very doable if it's a regular trip, if it's a first / once in a life time I would agree that you would need more time.

Its definitely technically 'doable', but its not just a smart use of time spending 24 hours combined traveling to a location and back, to only spend 72 hours or less on the ground there.

Its also a 4 night trip with the red-eye, as is BK's - you're leaving on a Friday, home on a Tuesday. Which is exactly my point about the problems of the added distance. Going straight to work after a long haul red-eye flight is also not an option for people flying economy who need to be semi useful in their job that day, so its 3 days vacation leave used realistically.

Thats a big difference from someone taking 1 day of vacation leave to catch a Thursday evening flight to somewhere in Europe, and back on Sunday evening. I don't think many city-breakers will be making that leap, low fares or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

So this is out?

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/world/fancy-new-york-as-a-daytrip-itll-be-available-to-irish-jetsetters-this-summer-34320727.html

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its definitely technically 'doable', but its not just a smart use of time spending 24 hours combined traveling to a location and back, to only spend 72 hours or less on the ground there.

Its also a 4 night trip with the red-eye, as is BK's - you're leaving on a Friday, home on a Tuesday. Which is exactly my point about the problems of the added distance. Going straight to work after a long haul red-eye flight is also not an option for people flying economy who need to be semi useful in their job that day, so its 3 days vacation leave used realistically.

Thats a big difference from someone taking 1 day of vacation leave to catch a Thursday evening flight to somewhere in Europe, and back on Sunday evening. I don't think many city-breakers will be making that leap, low fares or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

gizmo81 wrote: »

I think when your travel time exceeds your time on the ground its definitely out!

It'd be a badge of achievement of sorts, though, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Can somebody confirm what in flight entertainment is available on Dub to New York? I've had a look at the Norwegian Air website, but it only refers to transatlantic and 787's?

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Can somebody confirm what in flight entertainment is available on Dub to New York? I've had a look at the Norwegian Air website, but it only refers to transatlantic and 787's?

No IFE whatsoever, they have WiFi but that won't be on the 737MAX for about a year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

No, it doesn't have personal IFE. It has screens overhead that show cartoons, etc.

I recommend bringing a tablet, laptop, etc. and loading it up with some TV shows, movies, etc. or just bring a book.

No, it doesn't have personal IFE. It has screens overhead that show cartoons, etc.

I recommend bringing a tablet, laptop, etc. and loading it up with some TV shows, movies, etc. or just bring a book.

Do the 737 MAX have this feature? I understood that it didn't have the overhead screens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭etselbbuns

The Sun does comment
    It’s understood that flight D-81825 was grounded at Shannon with a technical problem due to a fault with the Boeing 737-MAX’s anti-skid braking system.
    It has also emerged that the same plane diverted to an airport in Iceland on Sunday after experiencing a technical problem.
    After the plane arrived in Shannon from Providence on Monday morning an issue was found that forced engineers to ground the jet and cancel the outbound service to Providence.
    Passengers were accommodated in local hotels overnight and were transported by road to Cork and Belfast airports to from where they were flown to their destination.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/1219648/norwegian-airs-new-low-fares-service-to-us-from-shannon-airport-has-shaky-start-as-flight-is-axed-one-day-after-launch/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do the 737 MAX have this feature? I understood that it didn't have the overhead screens.

I'm not sure about the Max-8's they have bought, no indication either way from the first tours of the aircraft, I guess they might not.

The aircraft currently flying the Dub routes is the 737-800's which do have drop down screens and wifi, though the wifi seems to be hit or miss if it works, so don't rely on it (not that I've found any aircraft wifi reliable, including paid for ones).

The Max-8's will be delivered without wifi, but it will be added later.

Either way I wouldn't rely on either feature and just bring my own entertainment.

Blut2 wrote: »

Believe me I know of several people who have done precisely that - gone to the States for a long weekend and gone into work the next day having flown economy.

I wouldn't do it myself, but at the same time I wouldn't be as black and white about saying no one would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I've done it at 3 nights, it is fine.

Obviously travelling for work is different then for pleasure. You need to be fresh for work, etc. But for fun you can be off the plane and straight into the pub.

For instance looking at Norwegian schedule, leave Dub on a Friday at 14:30, arrive 17:30 local, into Manhattan by 8ish and straight out to pub/club/dinner. There all day Saturday and Sunday. There for half of Monday, fly out at 19:55 and arrive into Dub at 7:55, head straight to work :D

Plenty of time to sample Manhattan and see the major sites IME and all with just two days off work (obviously depends on your type of work on the Tuesday).

I'm not saying another day or two wouldn't be nice. But fine for a quick bit is site seeing/partying/shopping.

For instance looking at Norwegian schedule, leave Dub on a Friday at 14:30, arrive 17:30 local, into Manhattan by 8ish and straight out to pub/club/dinner. There all day Saturday and Sunday. There for half of Monday, fly out at 19:55 and arrive into Dub at 7:55, head straight to work :D

Are you crazy! Did you never here of the thing called sleep that all us humans need. Maybe you are an alien and sleep a lot less. I for one would not do that and certainly can,t sleep on a thin can sorry plane. Maybe thats where you and the other crazy poster that suggested something similar intend to sleep but that is not the same as a proper sleep and not as good either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Believe me I know of several people who have done precisely that - gone to the States for a long weekend and gone into work the next day having flown economy.

I wouldn't do it myself, but at the same time I wouldn't be as black and white about saying no one would do it.

Raises hand,

Yep, did it in Feb, flew out Fri morning, went ​to gigs sat and sun, flew home 5ish Monday afternoon, back in work two hours after landing.

Was it ideal? No
    Was it smart? No
    Was it doable? Absolutely
    Slept like a ****ing baby that night though.

AMKC wrote: »

Are you crazy! Did you never here of the thing called sleep that all us humans need. Maybe you are an alien and sleep a lot less. I for one would not do that and certainly can,t sleep on a thin can sorry plane. Maybe thats where you and the other crazy poster that suggested something similar intend to sleep but that is not the same as a proper sleep and not as good either.

You know we sleep when we're in America right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You know we sleep when we're in America right?

Arriving stateside i don't wanna do anything but drop into the bed. Can usually last 3/4 hrs getting to the hotel or wherever but as soon as my body hits a 180 angle i'm off.

Going to a club on a friday night after a 7 hr trek over the atlantic and half the state of new york?

Leaving NY on a sunday evening and spending 6 hrs tossing and turning in ur seat trying to find a perfect position to "comfortably" sleep in but then eventually give up. After landing you're off to work?

Are you related to the Hulks by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

1123heavy wrote: »
    Arriving stateside i don't wanna do anything but drop into the bed. Can usually last 3/4 hrs getting to the hotel or wherever but as soon as my body hit's a 180 angle i'm off.

Going to a club on a friday night after a 7 hr trek over the atlantic and half the state of new york?

Leaving NY on a sunday evening and spending 6 hrs tossing and turning in ur seat trying to find a perfect position to "comfortably" sleep in but then eventually give up. After landing you're off to work?

Are you related to the Hulks by any chance?

Some people just don't need as much sleep as others. Is it that hard to understand? Personally I can function the day after once I've had around 4 hours kip. I couldn't do it for a week but certainly for a couple of days its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Some people just don't need as much sleep as others. Is it that hard to understand? Personally I can function the day after once I've had around 4 hours kip. I couldn't do it for a week but certainly for a couple of days its possible.

Think the discussion is clearly about the majority of the travelling public.

A very low percentage of people will be up for what was suggested.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

AMKC wrote: »
    For instance looking at Norwegian schedule, leave Dub on a Friday at 14:30, arrive 17:30 local, into Manhattan by 8ish .

This is where Norwegian lose me(and other late departures). You have to take a days vacation on the Friday (be at airport at 12) so why not get an earlier flight and get an extra 6hours at your destination. That's worth paying extra for.

Would you not use the €300 approx saving to stay two extra nights in NYC?
    This is where Norwegian lose me. You have to take a days vacation on the Friday (be at airport at 12) so why not get an earlier flight and get an extra 6hours at your destination. That's worth paying extra for.

1123heavy wrote: »
    Think the discussion is clearly about the majority of the travelling public.

A very low percentage of people will be up for what was suggested.

But that's where I genuinely think you're wrong. They may not be the majority of travellers, but there are a lot more people that think like that than I think you and others here realise.

I'm not one of those people (and personally I think they're mad), but I know quite a few people (particularly younger people) who would do it.

Again you're assuming everyone else has the same preferences as you, which they don't - we are all different.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Would you not use the €300 approx saving to stay two extra nights in NYC?

It's not necessarily €300 though is it? Anyways it's vacation days that are a premium for me. As has been said 100 times it's all about different priorities for different people.

E.g. a random weekend in Nov;

Norwegian base fare = €240 (after cc fee)
    - you don't land until 18.30 so almost no time in NYC on the Friday.
    - flight home on mon is good, however you are getting a bus to the sticks, you can't chance cutting that fine so you have to leave plenty of time.

United fare = €422
    - you land at 11.30 am into EWR, ultra reliable train to Penn
    - you fly home at 7.45, again ultra reliable penn train gets you to the airport in good time
    - added benefit of;
    ---- food and drink both ways (another €20 savings?)
    ---- bag checked if needed(no seeing sonething nice but you can't buy because you will get shafted with a late bag check)
    ---- blanket
    ---- seat selection for free
    ---- loads of extra time (possibly 7hrs on the fri & a few on the mon) on the ground in manhattan

Depending on the type of trip I am taking (e.g. Some shopping) then united above for me is s no brainier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,433 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some flight timings and airport locations on short haul show that there are plenty of people who pit no value on time or cost on hassle.

Horses for courses.

The dates I'm flying to Stewart for €220 (now €270) the next cheapest is Aer Lingus for €512, I'd get into JFK at lunch time but having flown into JFK previously it was a nightmare to get into Times Sq by car. The return flight is earlier so I'd miss out on the afternoon in Manhattan.

I'd prefer to buy my own food than to have the Aer Lingus 'free' food.
    I'm not bothered by a blanket, or seat selection.

Time wise I lose 5 hours by flying Stewart on first day and gain 4.5 hours on my return day. So time is comparable.

Fly DUB-STW 4:15pm land 6.25pm Stewart
    Fly Dub-JFK 10.50am land 13.40pm JFK

Fly Stw-DUB 21.25pm land 8.50am Dub
    Fly JFK-DUB 17.30pm land 5.00 am Dub

Norwegian 75 hours in USA
    Aer Lingus 75.4 hours in USA

JFK Air Shuttle Multiple stops to PABT $34
    Stewart Air Shuttle Direct to PABT $40

It's not necessarily €300 though is it? Anyways it's vacation days that are a premium for me. As has been said 100 times it's all about different priorities for different people.

E.g. a random weekend in Nov;

Norwegian base fare = €240 (after cc fee)
    - you don't land until 18.30 so almost no time in NYC on the Friday.
    - flight home on mon is good, however you are getting a bus to the sticks, you can't chance cutting that fine so you have to leave plenty of time.

United fare = €422
    - you land at 11.30 am into EWR, ultra reliable train to Penn
    - you fly home at 7.45, again ultra reliable penn train gets you to the airport in good time
    - added benefit of;
    ---- food and drink both ways (another €20 savings?)
    ---- bag checked if needed(no seeing sonething nice but you can't buy because you will get shafted with a late bag check)
    ---- blanket
    ---- seat selection for free
    ---- loads of extra time (possibly 7hrs on the fri & a few on the mon) on the ground in manhattan

Depending on the type of trip I am taking (e.g. Some shopping) then united above for me is s no brainier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement