Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In other news about DY:

The Safety Investigation Authority of Finland (Otkes) has begun an initial investigation into the case of a Norwegian airline plane that slid off its designated runway during landing at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport on Tuesday.

None of the 166 passengers on board were injured during the unusual turn of events.

Otkes communications chief Sakari Lauriala says that the preliminary investigation will take at least a week, during which both of the plane's black boxes will be analysed and the pilot inverviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow, that flight has been operating for years! I wonder if United is adopting a strategy of pulling back from Secondary routes? They also pulled out from Belfast in January.

So maybe new management has a different approach.

Id say those routes are extremely marginal as it is, throw in an airline that is a total newcomer, flies over 100km away from ny and that is enough to dislodge united, tells you a lot..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Think 757 is too much plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Think 757 is too much plane.

In what respect, might I ask?

• Advertisement

Too much Business Class. I think a Westjet sized operation would probably be more profitable.

That can be done now with the 737MAX. Although American airlines don't appear to be too keen to introduce this kind of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

If the 757 is classed as too much aircraft in the winter, you may as well call time on the route as a year round service. How much smaller are airlines willing to go just to make a route break even or profitable? The 737-MAX is of course an opportunity for some airlines as a transatlantic aircraft but for the US carriers it's limited to just east coast to Ireland and the UK, the return on investment may not be there. 

Norwegian has probably eaten away at an already very weak yield situation in bleak midwinter, unfortunately this may indicate that they've failed in stimulating additional demand with their low fares and instead have managed to just drive United away. Now the question is how sustainable this whole operation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

If the 757 is classed as too much aircraft in the winter, you may as well call time on the route as a year round service. How much smaller are airlines willing to go just to make a route break even or profitable? The 737-MAX is of course an opportunity for some airlines as a transatlantic aircraft but for the US carriers it's limited to just east coast to Ireland and the UK, the return on investment may not be there. 

Norwegian has probably eaten away at an already very weak yield situation in bleak midwinter, unfortunately this may indicate that they've failed in stimulating additional demand with their low fares and instead have managed to just drive United away. Now the question is how sustainable this whole operation is.

If it has driven united away no doubt Norwegian will push up fares as they got less competition. But still got EI doing SNN JFK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not so sure it's purely due to Norweigan - would be a pretty quick reaction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

Van.Bosch wrote:

I wonder is it because people who are closer to Cork than Shannon are using Norwegian now ex Cork, neverlone the numbers using Norwegian ex Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭john boye

Van.Bosch wrote: »

Agreed. They've been cutting a lot of secondary European routes in recent times - Belfast (well before DY started there), Manchester, Newcastle and Oslo spring to mind. I doubt this is related to Norwegian in Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

With Norwegian flying transatlantic from 4 Irish airports, it must only be a matter of time before the other carriers start to reduce frequency in Dublin too. Who knows, maybe just a summer schedule there too.

john boye wrote: »
    Agreed. They've been cutting a lot of secondary European routes in recent times - Belfast (well before DY started there), Manchester, Newcastle and Oslo spring to mind. I doubt this is related to Norwegian in Shannon.

Possibly new management?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

kub wrote: »
    I wonder is it because people who are closer to Cork than Shannon are using Norwegian now ex Cork, neverlone the numbers using Norwegian ex Shannon.

Norwegian only fly Cork to Providence so it's unlikely that had anything to do with United cutting Shannon to New York. Norwegian are doing Shannon to Stewart as well which is more likely a factor in the United decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I know it's being flying for years but the SNN transatlantic routes always struck me as strange. Perhaps they have just found more profitable routes to fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I know it's being flying for years but the SNN transatlantic routes always struck me as strange. Perhaps they have just found more profitable routes to fly.

Fairly likely the aircraft will just be staying on the ground for the winter, maybe operating a very slack schedule.

geeting back on topic i just seen a photo of the seats dont think id like to spend 7 hours in it very thin

Norwegian-row.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

jjbrien wrote: »
    geeting back on topic i just seen a photo of the seats dont think id like to spend 7 hours in it very thin

Norwegian-row.jpg
    I wish I hadn't looked now!!

holly8 wrote: »
    I wish I hadn't looked now!!

Im going with them myself from JFK to LHR lucky i booked premium but I think the 787 is better as it has entertainment and nicer seats. I would have thought they would have put the same level of service they have on a smaller scale long haul on their 737-Max 8's but it seems to be Ryanair style. I might take it if theres no other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They don't fly to LHR?

• Advertisement

Norwegian's Q2 results are out and the news isn't great.

http://www.reuters.com/article/norweg-air-shut-results-idUSL8N1K40HZ

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

jjbrien wrote: »
    Im going with them myself from JFK to LHR lucky i booked premium but I think the 787 is better as it has entertainment and nicer seats. I would have thought they would have put the same level of service they have on a smaller scale long haul on their 737-Max 8's but it seems to be Ryanair style. I might take it if theres no other option.

The whole plane has common seating, but it's honestly fine. It's good value for what you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

JCX BXC wrote: »
    They don't fly to LHR?
    Long walk to Gatwick from LHR.:D

Norwegian's Q2 results are out and the news isn't great.

http://www.reuters.com/article/norweg-air-shut-results-idUSL8N1K40HZ

$144 million is still a profit if they were making a loss I would be more worried. Its the same people who used to run Braathens was a long established aniline the merged with SAS back in 2003. Norwegian used to run services for them and split off to do the low cost operation. Braathens used to be very conservative when it came to trying out new stuff but Norwegian is the total opposite. Still I wish them well.

The trend is the worry, yields are falling and their costs are rising. Nothing in the forecast says this is going to change anytime soon.

The trend is the worry, yields are falling and their costs are rising. Nothing in the forecast says this is going to change anytime soon.

Well they will have to cut their spending to boost up the profits. Seem to be going to boeing with an open chequebook and saying i want it all now.

I heard earlier that their first 2 7M8 enter service tomorrow.

Guessing 7M8 means the new MAX aircraft in which case, saw a photo of one up at Belfast earlier today so must be getting prepared for service. 

As for the passenger experience, not much changes, cabin is identical to the 737-800s. Operationally things should improve, no more fuel diversions, no payload restrictions and the wifi might finally work across the atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Yes this is correct

BFS - SWF
    EDI - BDL

SWF - DUB
    BDL - EDI

• Advertisement

Advertisement