Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its shares have dropped 38 percent in 2017 bucking the industry trend and, according to Norway's Financial Supervisory Authority, investors have taken out bets on price falls with 5.35 million of its shares, or 14.9 percent of its capital.

The so-called short-selling increased after Norwegian said the outlook for both its revenue and costs was worse than expected, its chief financial officer of 15 years abruptly quit and operational glitches left it short of pilots at the start of the peak summer season.

In the second quarter, Norwegian's operating expenses jumped 45 percent with increases across the board.

The carrier ended up with a second-quarter operating loss of 863 million crowns.

"Roaring success" indeed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

JCX BXC wrote: »

They may well become a success, but it's quite clear that they're not the roaring success you so desperately want them to be quite yet.

Time will tell. I'm not desperate for them to be successful I am however sick of the anti Norwegian/Pro EI sentiment on this thread.

I'll concede that "roaring" is a stretch but it has been a very successful launch from DUB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'd seen twitter reacting when they were first released about bad connections to NYC. Then that direct bus service was put on. The bus was about three-quarters full so I'd imagine most people use it or rent a car. It was just over an hour and didn't stop. The bus was leaving every 30 minutes from right around the corner from Times Square. Couldn't be any better.
    The airport is not JFK, but that's a good thing. Its not much longer time wise to get to and its a small provincial airport. Even security were pleasant. there isn't really a case to push Aer Lingus NYC flights as a better option, in my opinion.
    Yes, we were really lucky with the price and it went up about 10 minutes after I booked it. I'd still have booked for up to about €120 a head. We house swapped in NYC so overall was cheaper than a traditional seaside package holiday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Reports like that confirm why Norwegian plan to expand Irish ops already. So far it's a roaring successs. Fair play to them.

Where does it say they are going to expand?

OP mentions empty seats so hardly a "roaring success"!

It was a 737-800, they had to block seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sesame wrote: »
    I'd seen twitter reacting when they were first released about bad connections to NYC. Then that direct bus service was put on. The bus was about three-quarters full so I'd imagine most people use it or rent a car. It was just over an hour and didn't stop. The bus was leaving every 30 minutes from right around the corner from Times Square. Couldn't be any better.
    The airport is not JFK, but that's a good thing. Its not much longer time wise to get to and its a small provincial airport. Even security were pleasant. there isn't really a case to push Aer Lingus NYC flights as a better option, in my opinion.
    Yes, we were really lucky with the price and it went up about 10 minutes after I booked it. I'd still have booked for up to about €120 a head. We house swapped in NYC so overall was cheaper than a traditional seaside package holiday.

How was leg room on the plane?

Was it like a Ryanair flight with staff constantly trying to shill things or were you mostly left alone?

You didn't happen to catch the price/range of beer/spirits did you.

How was Stewart as a departure airport? If the bus gets there 3 hours before flight will I be bored out of my mind.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'm not tall so leg room wasn't an issue, but I did try to put my head to rest on the tray table. The seat in front had the seat all the way reclined and I couldn't rest my head on it which was quite funny as I attempted to contort into any position. Having the spare seat beside me helped.
    I didn't see the alcohol prices.
    No there was no annoying selling at all either journey. No selling other than the drinks/snacks cart.
    We were at Stewart 4 hours ahead of the flight (I like to be prepared and wanted to pick good seats in the flight as we didn't pay to book them). There wasn't much seating before security and not a lot to do. They had people collecting luggage from a flight right beside us. No conveyor, just put the luggage inside a door. It was entertaining.
    The Quinzos is before security so we sat there. They sold beer too and there was a souvenir shop.
    After security there was a cafe/big-ish duty free and magazine shop.
    There's water fountains at the gates too, so we brought an empty 5 litre bottle through security and filled it up for the journey.

Grand so, tablet loaded up with movies, wireless headphones and a power bank it is. Actually looking forward to this now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You didn't happen to catch the price/range of beer/spirits did you.

From the video above,

Heineken 33cl $4.50
    Variety of Spirits (JD, Absolut, Bacardi, Baileys, Famous Grouse) 5cl for $6.50, Glenlivet Scotch is $8.00

Mixers $2, Coke, etc. $3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly from the video, it seems that in addition to having free wifi, they also allow you to stream some Live TV and TV boxsets to your own device and also have movies to rent for €5

Doughnuts actually look yummy!

To be honest, it actually looks a lot better then I was expecting. Definitely not Ryanair Low cost and while not quiet EI transatlantic, not too far off either.

Stewart sounds lovely compared to the nightmare that is JFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

bk wrote: »
    Interestingly from the video, it seems that in addition to having free wifi, they also allow you to stream some Live TV and TV boxsets to your own device and also have movies to rent for €5

Doughnuts actually look yummy!

To be honest, it actually looks a lot better then I was expecting. Definitely not Ryanair Low cost and while not quiet EI transatlantic, not too far off either.

Stewart sounds lovely compared to the nightmare that is JFK.

British Airways have started to charge for snacks these days on long haul. Seems Norwegian isnt far off them other than paying for bags and a meal.

jjbrien wrote: »
    British Airways have started to charge for snacks these days on long haul. Seems Norwegian isnt far off them other than paying for bags and a meal.

I'm fully expecting united to introduce a version of their basic economy on TA routes before long, No seat selection, no meal, no checked bag. If it brought DUB-EWR fares down i'll be all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No they haven't - BA only charge on short haul.

lxflyer wrote: »
    No they haven't - BA only charge on short haul.

You get one snack for free with the first drink service usually a small bag of pretzels then any more than that you got to pay. Drinks are free however.

You get one snack for free with the first drink service usually a small bag of pretzels then any more than that you got to pay. Drinks are free however.

Fair enough but that's only for the old "raid the larder" where you could grab stuff from the galley.

The trolley service is still free.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-snacks-free-prices-food-menu-long-haul-economy-ba-a7447686.html

They are doing more and more buy on board its why i picked virgin over them last time even in world traveller plus they were charging.

The "Raid the Larder" is free only in Club World or First.

But to be clear that's the only "buy on board" on BA long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Even watching that 737 video one must feel claustrophobic.

This leads to the conclusion that there is a sizeable amount of the population who will not want that. Aer Lingus don't seem to have taken much of a hit this summer at leads with their NYC flights leaving full to the brim.

If this means that both companies can coexist without one dragging the other down then I suppose that is good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

1123heavy wrote: »
    Even watching that 737 video one must feel claustrophobic.

Ah here, try stay somewhat within a reasonable argument. 757's fly TATL every day of the week!

Ah here, try stay somewhat within a reasonable argument. 757's fly TATL every day of the week!

Agreed. Did 757 ta twice, Aer Lingus and AA, horribly uncomfortable. These actually look slightly roomier due to lack of seatback entertainment, thinner seats etc. At least Norwegian aren't charging me 500 euro plus for the privilege

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I don't think you can check in online for any US flights, gotta queue at the airport.

From Norwegians website

Seat allocation
    It's not necessary for you to reserve a seat when making a booking if you request special assistance. We'll assign you a suitable seat free of charge when you check in at the airport, based on the type of assistance you require.

You'll be seated close to the toilets.
    Your seat will have movable armrests.
    If you're travelling with a safety assistant, you'll be seated together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's only 7hrs of your life lads seriously, the 737 is hardly "steerage on the Titanic" bad. This success of this venture will come down to price and price alone tbh.

If they stay considerably cheaper* (*all things considered) they'll do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

My point was that Norwegian only exist for one reason, and it's to accelerate the race to the bottom that has glutted this industry. They are not making their money on your overpriced soggy sandwiches. They are making their money by underpaying their staff and using very unethical work practices. Be under no illusion, because this is what makes them their millions. Those planes don't fly on their own.

There are genuine airlines out there doing their best to provide reasonable work standards for their crew and also doing their best to keep passengers happy by offering a very good product for a very reasonable price.

This type of business undercuts most who are trying to make a living out of aviation and accelerates the downward spiral this industry is heading in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Tweet them and ask, They've been pretty quick to respond from i've seen. Or their live chat is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

1123heavy wrote: »
    My point was that Norwegian only exist for one reason, and it's to accelerate the race to the bottom that has glutted this industry. They are not making their money on your overpriced soggy sandwiches. They are making their money by underpaying their staff and using very unethical work practices. Be under no illusion, because this is what makes them their millions. Those planes don't fly on their own.

There are genuine airlines out there doing their best to provide reasonable work standards for their crew and also doing their best to keep passengers happy by offering a very good product for a very reasonable price.

This type of business undercuts most who are trying to make a living out of aviation and accelerates the downward spiral this industry is heading in.

I'm sorry but with this post and this posters constant spouting of anti Norwegian sentiment I'm unfollowing this thread.

Norwegian only exist to accelerate a race to the bottom? Seriously, that's the reason they exist?

Underpaying staff? All airlines are looking to reduce staff costs. A newer growth airline like Norwegian and Ryanair will have their staff on newer competitive contracts. Meanwhile flagship carriers struggle with legacy staff contracts and
    unions removed from modern aviation reality.

What's a genuine airline, is there such thing as a counterfeit airline?

It undercuts those trying to make a living out of aviation? What are Norwegian staff doing then? Do you think they get the bus to a homeless shelter after their shift ends?

Honestly it's amazing what we accept as fact these days.

Gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

You can get special assistance for any reason and you don't necessarily have to tell them the reason. Everyone pays a small fee as part of their fare which entitles you to it. Most people don't use it hence it's not a huge cost to the airline. It was brought in to ensure equality of access to airlines. You don't need to show a 'wheelchair badge' or anything. Many people are able to walk but unable to walk the long distances in an airport and are entitled to use it. You request it, they provide it no questions asked.

Advertisement