Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

There will always be a reasonable demand for Business class on Transatlantic flights. The Norweigan venture is only for short flights to the NE Coast, no one could possibly expect to sit in a bog standard economy seat for 10/11 hours to the West Coast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There will always be a reasonable demand for Business class on Transatlantic flights. The Norweigan venture is only for short flights to the NE Coast, no one could possibly expect to sit in a bog standard economy seat for 10/11 hours to the West Coast.

Yes, I expect that is what scares the hell out of AL. Two things:

- I suspect every airline is watching this closely to see what the public's reactions and acceptance of it is and if successful *, you can bet that other airlines will jump on this model and we will be seeing lots more narrow body aircraft operating between the East coast and UK/Ireland. I'm certain Ryanair, Easyjet and the American airlines are watching closely.

* I don't know if Norwegian can make this work in terms of economics. But unlike some here, I'm certain the demand for it from passengers is there.

- Norwegian also operate nice modern 787 wide bodies. I'm sure AL are nervous that if this venture is successful, that Nor might bring their 787's to Dublin too to operate to the west coast too.

Not that I would expect the same low prices for west coast. But I do know I'd happily take a Nor 787 over an old AL -200 with it's terrible outdated IFE to SFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Hate the 100 gates myself each time im on a plane and it heads there i dont like it and am wishing for the 200 gates.

Norwegain long haul uses T2 so no issues there but the end gates at the end of T2 can be a long hike too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

bk wrote: »
    Norwegian also operate nice modern 787 wide bodies. I'm sure AL are nervous that if this venture is successful, that Nor might bring their 787's to Dublin too to operate to the west coast too.

EI don't seem to have too much of an issue with ET and their 787's flying to the west coast from DUB. ET are seriously cheap and have a considerably better product than DY*, so I'm sure if EI can compete with ET, DY wont phase them!

*I have not flown either ET or DY, and base this opinion on hearsay, trip reports on Youtube ect

• Advertisement

EI don't seem to have too much of an issue with ET and their 787's flying to the west coast from DUB. ET are seriously cheap and have a considerably better product than DY*, so I'm sure if EI can compete with ET, DY wont phase them!

*I have not flown either ET or DY, and base this opinion on hearsay, trip reports on Youtube ect

Im flying on DY's 787 in a few weeks from JFK to Gatwick ill let you all know how it goes, however ill be in premium so wont be able to comment on Economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

That is a good point you make, unfortunately though I wonder what else is at play when people decide to buy their ticket to LA and see that they can go with Aer Lingus or Ethiopian Airlines.

I experienced it quite recently actually when going to LA. I had my reasons for going with Aer Lingus however I bumped into a friend who turned out to be going also. I asked why they had spent all their money to go with Aer Lingus when Ethiopian would have saved them a lot of money with the prices at the time. I was shocked when I heard them express an element of mistrust, or that they didn't trust them as much as they would a famous Irish brand.

I don't necessarily agree with that line of thinking and would happily board an Ethiopian plane, but do that many other people think like this person? Who knows. My point is that if people do, then Norwegian on the route wouldn't have this (ridiculous) stereotype about them that would hurt them like it hurts Ethiopian on the same route ... meaning they will be more of a threat to EI than ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Savman wrote: »
    It's only 7hrs of your life lads seriously, the 737 is hardly "steerage on the Titanic" bad. This success of this venture will come down to price and price alone tbh.

If they stay considerably cheaper* (*all things considered) they'll do very well.
    They'll only do very well if they manage their costs, staying cheap is easy but making a profit off those low fares is quite another. It's very likely the entire operation is massively loss making right now, it takes years for a business to mature and off set start up costs. Capacity restrictions on the 737-800 also means there's a lot of a lost revenue potential for the first few months of operation along with the teething issues. 

They've done one thing right and managed to make a lot of noise about themselves which sparked an immediate interest and they've got support right up to the highest level. Appearing as the underdog against big, bad Aer Lingus always helps too!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well first of all SFO would be more popular then LA, in particular with the IT folk.

I'm also not sure people are as aware of this ET flight, plus as was said above, I think many people would be slow to "trust" them (not that I'd have any issue, I'd take it in a second if heading to LA).

Norwegian wouldn't have these issues. Been in Dublin a few years now. Probably a more trusted brand, rightfully or wrongly and I expect they might have better local advertising and PR, just look at the attention they are gaining at the moment.

BTW why do you think ET has a better product then Nor? They are flying the same aircraft. I can't imagine there being much difference.

I have flown Norwegian to Oslo a few years ago. Obviously shorthaul but I was seriously impressed. Much better then both Ryanair and Are Lingus short haul IMO

- free wifi, worked very well
    - cabin was nice, bright and modern looking. Looked way nicer then Ryanair yuck yellow and cheap advertising
    - no annoying announcements or hard sell
    - reclining seats and seat back tables
    - very friendly cabin crew who seemed genuinely happy to be there.

Nicest shorthaul I've been on around these parts, which is why I'd love to try out both of their transatlantic offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

BTW why do you think ET has a better product then Nor? They are flying the same aircraft. I can't imagine there being much difference

My post said why! word of mouth and reading/watching trip reports online. I've not flown either so can't say from experience.

Regarding the trust issues mentioned, I'd agree that there would prob be that sentiment from some people when booking but like has been said on this very thread a million times, for most people the lowest price wins so I don't think lack of trust is much of a factor in ET's bookings from DUB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Well first of all SFO would be more popular then LA, in particular with the IT folk.

I'm also not sure people are as aware of this ET flight, plus as was said above, I think many people would be slow to "trust" them (not that I'd have any issue, I'd take it in a second if heading to LA).

Norwegian wouldn't have these issues. Been in Dublin a few years now. Probably a more trusted brand, rightfully or wrongly and I expect they might have better local advertising and PR, just look at the attention they are gaining at the moment.

BTW why do you think ET has a better product then Nor? They are flying the same aircraft. I can't imagine there being much difference.

I have flown Norwegian to Oslo a few years ago. Obviously shorthaul but I was seriously impressed. Much better then both Ryanair and Are Lingus short haul IMO

- free wifi, worked very well
    - cabin was nice, bright and modern looking. Looked way nicer then Ryanair yuck yellow and cheap advertising
    - no annoying announcements or hard sell
    - reclining seats and seat back tables
    - very friendly cabin crew who seemed genuinely happy to be there.

Nicest shorthaul I've been on around these parts, which is why I'd love to try out both of their transatlantic offerings.
    Ethiopian have a good reputation overall, economy class in the 787 Dreamliner is typical of most 787 operators with 9 abreast seating which is reported as being quite narrow compared to Airbus counterparts. Their business class is in a 2-2-2 configuration and not entirely flat, Aer Lingus' hard product alone is way ahead of it and the meals on board vary from excellent to average, overall their business product is acceptable but at least a few years behind Aer Lingus and a generation behind the top worldwide carriers.

In economy it's typical of most 787 operators, narrow 9 abreast seating but with decent IFE and of course everything from meals to baggage is complementary, unlike Norwegian. So yes, I'd say Norwegian has a better product than Norwegian and on par with Aer Lingus. 

The Dreamliner is nice and new with pretty lights but it takes more than that to make an airline. I've flown both Norwegian and LOT Polish Airlines on their Dreamliners on a mix of short and long haul, nice flights but the A330 2-4-2 is a superior ride for passengers. 

Agree about short haul, flown them plenty of times within Europe and they're excellent, probably the best short haul airline around but transferring that exact level of service to long haul is quite different.

My post said why! word of mouth and reading/watching trip reports online. I've not flown either so can't say from experience.

I know, I was wondering if you could sumarise those reports. No worries, I've read a few reviews myself now.

And as I expected, they look largely the same, very similar interior, seating and ife.

I do see that ET offers, "free" food, luaggage and seat selection, but then Nor offers the same on their Lowfare+ product.

So I think I'd personally be fine flying either of them, I'd probably just compare ET versus Nor Lowfare+ and make the choice based on that.

Thanks for the review kevinandrew, very interesting. As you say I really like their shorthaul service, which has me interested in what their transatlantic is like too, cheers

You are right, I've read a few times that shoulder space on the 787 is poor compared to Airbuses.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

jjbrien wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-snacks-free-prices-food-menu-long-haul-economy-ba-a7447686.html

They are doing more and more buy on board its why i picked virgin over them last time even in world traveller plus they were charging.

Enjoy the nice ice creams they hand out

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Fabulous trip, went over 2 weeks ago from Dublin to Newyork and very quick check in, imigration easy dealt out with my visa was simple. Up to now i still kept my sandwich from home and got water after near small duty shop.
    I was travelling with my friend and we had a spare seat in between us at the exit row. all free.I counted 150 peroples. wifi great, didnt take anything from trolley and i went looking on overhead stowage and found some blankets down the back of plane.
    Very quick flight, the Pilots were from Norway and flight attendent mix of Norway and swedish.
    Lovely cheap flight and bus to the Manhaten was quick at 90 minutes and was waiting for us outside airport.

Coming back, easy trip to airport, quick checking in , again we got free seat in between us. Pilots Irish base is dublin, attendents all American base new york. I talked to the captain and he was telling me that its working out very well for them apart from a few teething problems they admit caused by the initial workload and has now settled down with average 160 most ways which makes them a profit. Nobody on asian contracts except the bangkok based attendents that work on 787 to bangkok. He was saying that arguement was put to bed months ago when Norwegian operated 737s in Milwaukee. The US unions have admit the arguement was Bull****.
    6 more 787 come thios year with possible of 4 in Dublin this year.
    The wifi didnt work coming home as the thing needed some licence update but the aircraft was a few weeks old. Certainly beats any other option out of Ireland for me. Total cost 165 euro return.
    Booked next trip for October bit more expensive at $227 as i put my area as usa after clearing cookies.
    FAB Company, Lovely FIT staff New planes. Cheap fares and I go again see my bro.

Thank you Norwegian XX

mikel97 wrote: »
    Fabulous trip, went over 2 weeks ago from Dublin to Newyork and very quick check in, imigration easy dealt out with my visa was simple. Up to now i still kept my sandwich from home and got water after near small duty shop.
    I was travelling with my friend and we had a spare seat in between us at the exit row. all free.I counted 150 peroples. wifi great, didnt take anything from trolley and i went looking on overhead stowage and found some blankets down the back of plane.
    Very quick flight, the Pilots were from Norway and flight attendent mix of Norway and swedish.
    Lovely cheap flight and bus to the Manhaten was quick at 90 minutes and was waiting for us outside airport.

Coming back, easy trip to airport, quick checking in , again we got free seat in between us. Pilots Irish base is dublin, attendents all American base new york. I talked to the captain and he was telling me that its working out very well for them apart from a few teething problems they admit caused by the initial workload and has now settled down with average 160 most ways which makes them a profit. Nobody on asian contracts except the bangkok based attendents that work on 787 to bangkok. He was saying that arguement was put to bed months ago when Norwegian operated 737s in Milwaukee. The US unions have admit the arguement was Bull****.
    The wifi didnt work coming home as the thing needed some licence update but the aircraft was a few weeks old. Certainly beats any other option out of Ireland for me. Total cost 165 euro return.
    Booked next trip for October bit more expensive at $227 as i put my area as usa after clearing cookies.
    FAB Company, Lovely FIT staff New planes. Cheap fares and I go again see my bro.

Thank you Norwegian XX

Nice review.

Pilot said 787 coming to Dublin not the 737 max 8's? If thats the case Aer Lingus is going to be in trouble on long haul routes and will add some very stiff competition for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭trellheim

ummm not entirely sure. Remember there are already operators like American and United on the routes as well, which have EI beat on hubs and the like, as with so much else it depends on what market you are in !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RebelCork17

Is the max flying from Dublin with a full passenger load? Or are they still waiting to see how the engines perform?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

MAX services are intermittent, it's a mix between the Max and the regular -800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Just an update on my trip, small thing I noticed.
    On the way over I bought a cup of coffee for $3. Not bad price I thought for in the air.
    But they only accepted cards, no cash of any currency which I thought strange at the time but ok.

But looking at my bank statement, the exchange rate is vastly different to what my ATM transactions US side have been. Don't have it on me right now but it looks like they did their own conversion of my Euro account to dollars at their own rate to benefit them. It wasn't vastly different but an extra earner on their side. Hmm.

Sesame wrote: »
    Just an update on my trip, small thing I noticed.
    On the way over I bought a cup of coffee for $3. Not bad price I thought for in the air.
    But they only accepted cards, no cash of any currency which I thought strange at the time but ok.

But looking at my bank statement, the exchange rate is vastly different to what my ATM transactions US side have been. Don't have it on me right now but it looks like they did their own conversion of my Euro account to dollars at their own rate to benefit them. It wasn't vastly different but an extra earner on their side. Hmm.

Happens a lot more than you think. When I come home and go to shops and bars even car hire places with an American card I get asked which currency I want to pay in if I select pay in euoros not dollars otherwise the bank makes the rate to suit themselves.

Norwegian have a bit of an odd way to make money. If you book your ticket on norwegian.no (the site is in Norwegian) its cheaper than booking via the Irish, American or British website usually by 10%. So I am wondering if its the same on the plane, they convert from USD to NOK then to Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Sesame wrote: »
    So they're using a US bank account for their Irish registered service? Is the 'local' currency for their card machines dollars? I wonder if you used a Revolut card say would they give you the option to pay in the currency of your choosing or do they just pick the card default?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I'm contradicting myself, the exchange rate was vastly different, but the actual value to me was only a few cents different, if you know what I mean!
    No there was never any choice of how I wanted to pay. But the prices were given in dollars.

Yup i did from the states, my brother did it in Dublin the site is in Norsk and you have to pay in krones but it works out cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yup i did from the states, my brother did it in Dublin the site is in Norsk and you have to pay in krones but it works out cheaper

One of the perks of becoming an Oslo-based Norwegian speaker. Kinda feels like cheating :D

yes but you can open the site side by side if you want in two diffrent tabs

Happens a lot more than you think. When I come home and go to shops and bars even car hire places with an American card I get asked which currency I want to pay in if I select pay in euoros not dollars otherwise the bank makes the rate to suit themselves.

Actually the opposite is true, you should always select the local currency of the country you are in. US Dollar in your case.

The reason being that you are charged the exchange rate set by Visa/Mastercard (not your bank) which is usually a fair rate.

If you pay Euro, then you are accepting the retailers exchange rate, which can literally be anything they want.

This is also true online, Amazon etc. Always pay in Sterling.

Another tip is get a Revolut card, they charge the actual market exchange rate and thus incredible value.

mikel97 wrote: »

If this is 787's rather then 737-max 8's then EI will be seriously worried.

I'm not at all surprised, it is obvious that Norwegian were only trying these new routes to feel out the market here. If successful it was obvious they would bring the 787's to the UK and Ireland too.

EI better get their A350's soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I will be delighted if Dublin is working out great for them, cant wait for them to bring in the 787's!

Bring on a route to vegas!

Advertisement