Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

The flight over was about 70% full at a guess. It was a grand flight too, the MAX is a nice bus, no complaints at all.

I've different feelings now at this moment in time naturally. Lots of people annoyed here at the gate in PVD too. Met a guy that had a flight to Shannon cancelled yesterday and now his replacement flight to Cork is cancelled. To make matters worse he was only flying over for 3 days anyway or something for business in Galway. Flight from Edinburgh cancelled too.

Yikes. To be fair hes actually probably lucky he was flying over on business. At least his employers can't complain about him being stranded for days-on-end over there when they're the ones who sent him there. Would be a bit more problematic if he was returning from a family holiday and being forced to miss work.

There do seem to be a lot of Norwegian cancellations going on though. I said it before after the first month, and some posters replied claiming it was just teething problems. But we're a few months in at this stage. It'll be interesting to see their performance statistics after 6months/12months of operations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

This is what makes me laugh about the whole FR pilot debacle... The terms at FR may be s**t and I can understand pilots leaving for pastures new... but to an airline in this much financial trouble??

Given the choice, I'd stick with FR because if the balance sheets of both airlines are anything to go by! Only one of them will still be flying in 5 years!

Just to one bit there - the reason FR pilots may choose to go to Norwegian is a lot to do with the 787s. It’s a good lure to get away from only flying 737s. Good experience to be had.

Norwegian are ok for now, but they are borrowed up to the hilt, and that could go belly up in a year. All those new deliveries of new aircraft. They’ve got mad.

Someone mentioned Monarch earlier.... they’re almost gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Anyone know why so much disruption this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A319er wrote: »
    Anyone know why so much disruption this week?

Aircraft went tech in Cork (back now) and crew shortages apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

From a pilots perspective they must be a more attractive venture than Ryanair, after all who invests all the time and €s to become a pilot only to be happy to be based insomewhere like East Midlands flying x return legs each day with career prospects being limited to 737s. That’s not the dream

After 12 years of long haul, back of the clock, jet lagged flying, it doesn't seem too bad to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Getting type rated on the 787 is a good move for a young pilot. He can then easly move to BA, Virgin etc with the flying hours. I can see why pilots would take the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Blut2 wrote: »
    Yikes. To be fair hes actually probably lucky he was flying over on business. At least his employers can't complain about him being stranded for days-on-end over there when they're the ones who sent him there. Would be a bit more problematic if he was returning from a family holiday and being forced to miss work.

There were a few others on the flight too that were meant to be on the SNN flight the day before. They only bussed people as far as ORK which was bad form. Anyone that was was originally destined for SNN had to find their own way from ORK - Some dose after what turned out to be a 6 hour journey down from Belfast. There was another guy who was supposed to fly to ORK too. When we finally arrived on the bus he then had to pick up his rental and drive 3 hours to Dingle. Some way to start the holiday.

The return was disappointing and a pain but as I mentioned the outbound leg from ORK to PVD was flawless - I would definitely do it again. We booked one checked bag with no meal - I think we spent about $25 between us on a beer, wine, panini and some snacks on the plane on the way out. Didn't buy any grub on the way back as it was a night flight anyway (Plus we had just spent $58 on food in PVD courtesy of Norwegian :) ). Immigration in PVD was a breeze (who needs pre-clearance :p) and the train between PVD and downtown Providence is free until the end of the year. We actually got an Amtrak to Penn Station then in NYC. Staff were extremely friendly too, much better than my last experience going stateside with Aer Lingus. Only real downside of the whole experience (bar the return leg) was the lack of WiFi - no WiFi on the MAX for now - "because they're new".

The whole thing worked out at just under €240pp return with the one checked bag. EU261 comp will definitely forgive any shortcomings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Looks like Norwegian are dropping Belfast to Providence from the end of this month...

zetalambda wrote: »
    Looks like Norwegian are dropping Belfast to Providence from the end of this month...

It was always only seasonal from the start, flights resuming in late March.

Flight from Providence to Shannon cancelled this morning, flight from Providence to Cork on Saturday was also cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Comhrá

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Flight from Providence to Shannon cancelled this morning, flight from Providence to Cork on Saturday was also cancelled.

Any reasons that you know of? Would it be due to very poor loads eastbound?

Hardly tech on two flights so close together with new aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RebelCork17

Comhra wrote: »
    Any reasons that you know of? Would it be due to very poor loads eastbound?

Hardly tech on two flights so close together with new aircraft?

Cork was cancelled due to the weather. They made the decision on Friday morning. Passengers were sent by bus to and from Dublin where the flight operated to and from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any updates on Cork-Stewart?

Cork was cancelled due to the weather. They made the decision on Friday morning. Passengers were sent by bus to and from Dublin where the flight operated to and from.

Due to weather, really? There was no other cancellations or diversions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RebelCork17

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Due to weather, really? There was no other cancellations or diversions!

Decision was made based on the forecast and passenger inconvenience if they would have had to divert etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Service seems poor reliability wise, always a story on here about something going wrong, I’ve had my fair share of cancelled trans Atlantic flights over the years to know that the consequences(time off, the unknown, pain of hanging around an airport, dealing with crap service agents etc) are usually greater than the EU compensation of €600.

I was sceptical of the pros and cons of flying Norwegian but was willing to give them a chance but decided to stick with the proven United out of Shannon to EWR. I’m glad I did now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Service seems poor reliability wise, always a story on here about something going wrong, I’ve had my fair share of cancelled trans Atlantic flights over the years to know that the consequences(time off, the unknown, pain of hanging around an airport, dealing with crap service agents etc) are usually greater than the EU compensation of €600.

I was sceptical of the pros and cons of flying Norwegian but was willing to give them a chance but decided to stick with the proven United out of Shannon to EWR. I’m glad I did now.

Each to their own I am glad I went with Norwegian , Got to to show my 13 year old son New York in August for 3 days for €180 each..

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

TimHorton wrote: »

Each to their own I am glad I went with Norwegian , Got to to show my 13 year old son New York in August for 3 days for €180 each..
    same as ... I wouldn't be here with my 2 only for those fares

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

D81763 Dublin-Stewart diverted to Keflavik earlier today - any word on why?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mikel97

Just back to Dublino after another Norwegian atlantic crossing. Better than last time and on a Brand new Maxi Plane. So quiet and quick.
    Thats 2 times I got to NYC only thanks to them.
    I here a Dublin base now and looking for staff well quality staff as in done it before for the cabin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

TimHorton wrote: »

Just as a matter of interest. Do you book seats and were you worried about being split up? Service onboard ok etc?

knockon wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest. Do you book seats and were you worried about being split up? Service onboard ok etc?

Only ryanair split you up intentionally, unless you're a late check in and the flights full it's safe to assume you'll be seated together with people on the same booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Can see Norwegian leaving BFS if figures don’t improve... SWF had an avg lf of 74% in July, PVD was 60%. Move on to September and PVD was averaging at 40% and SWF 49%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

Shn99 wrote: »
    Can see Norwegian leaving BFS if figures don’t improve... SWF had an avg lf of 74% in July, PVD was 60%. Move on to September and PVD was averaging at 40% and SWF 49%

Any idea what the loads are like from DUB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Has anyone here flew from Cork into providence lately? A few of us are going Thursday week from Cork at 16.25 to providence and are considering getting tickets to the basketball in Boston which is at 8.we get into providence at 18.15,we would probably get an uber from providence in as there is a few of us to cut the cost. Would there be any chance of making the basketball with the journey time around 1hr 15 to 1hr and a half and clearing immigration. Basically we're wondering if immigration takes long to clear? Anyone his has made this trip might have a good idea, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

Just back from USA trip with norwegian, will defo use again...if anyone has any queries, feel free to post and I'll try answer....we went dub-stewart btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I haven't tried ORK-PVD, but I think that you're seriously pushing it with that plan Premier Man – essentially you're allowing 30 minutes for immigration and baggage reclaim *and* you're assuming everything will be on time.

In my experience many US sporting venues don't generally allow bags on the premises, too.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Shn99 wrote: »

Belfast is a dead duck. You heard it here first. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Has anyone here flew from Cork into providence lately? A few of us are going Thursday week from Cork at 16.25 to providence and are considering getting tickets to the basketball in Boston which is at 8.we get into providence at 18.15,we would probably get an uber from providence in as there is a few of us to cut the cost. Would there be any chance of making the basketball with the journey time around 1hr 15 to 1hr and a half and clearing immigration. Basically we're wondering if immigration takes long to clear? Anyone his has made this trip might have a good idea, thanks

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/IBK1821/history

• Advertisement

holly8 wrote: »
    Just back from USA trip with norwegian, will defo use again...if anyone has any queries, feel free to post and I'll try answer....we went dub-stewart btw

What was the load like?

Advertisement