Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that when Norwegian began the operation from Cork to Providence that they operated a 738?
    Also I recall that they had to top up in Canada only once?
    Obviously their 738's are assigned to other routes so it only the most profitable ones will now be operated.
    Yes it was a 737-800 when the Cork route started, but they had it load restricted when it was operating on the 738.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My husband is American and I spent years flying back and forth across the Atlantic, so I feel for you. Can she just wait and reorganize it for after this weekend or will you be even more out of pocket then with any hotels/bookings etc.

Thanks for that tbh, it actually does suck a lot with such short notice. Fortunately she was visiting me in Dublin this weekend for Patricks day, and we were going to some gigs and stuff next weekend with some bookings in Kilkenny and Waterford. So if Norwegian can get another plane on the route we won't lose much other than time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I was about to book a Norwegian flight from Gatwick to Rio for May. The route hasn't even began yet, it's being introduced at the end of March. I'm not sure which aircraft they planned to use for the route.

Do people think it's safe to book or might it be at risk of being cancelled? Even if it isn't the 737 MAX 8, might they delay the route being introduced by a few months in order to use the aircraft to continue existing or more profitable routes instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I was about to book a Norwegian flight from Gatwick to Rio for May. The route hasn't even began yet, it's being introduced at the end of March. I'm not sure which aircraft they planned to use for the route.

Do people think it's safe to book or might it be at risk of being cancelled? Even if it isn't the 737 MAX 8, might they delay the route being introduced by a few months in order to use the aircraft to continue existing or more profitable routes instead?

Doubt it'd be the MAX on that one. Not sure if it has the range. Others will correct me but that is a serious journey on a 737 MAX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Pretty glad they suspended 737MAX8 ops. Two flights this week with Norwegian and I was terrified that it wouldn’t be on a NG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Your flights being operated by the 787 Dreamliner, highly doubt the MAXs will still be grounded in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Fabio wrote: »
    Doubt it'd be the MAX on that one. Not sure if it has the range. Others will correct me but that is a serious journey on a 737 MAX.
    Shn99 wrote: »
    787 Dreamliner

Great thanks. I guess my bigger concern was that they might delay the introduction of the Gatwick to Rio route to use the aircraft to continue existing routes if they can't use their MAX 8's.

Or am I worrying over nothing and should I go ahead and book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Great thanks. I guess my bigger concern was that they might delay the introduction of the Gatwick to Rio route to use the aircraft to continue existing routes if they can't use their MAX 8's.

Could happen, but not likely.

Higher risk is they'll go bust - book on a real credit card (not debit not prepay)

If I was you I’d go ahead and book(with a credit card preferably)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

What type of aircraft do Norwegian use for the Dublin to Stewart route?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What type of aircraft do Norwegian use for the Dublin to Stewart route?

The exact same type that’s been banned due to recent crashes the 737MAX

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Just to clarify, Norwegian uses a mix of B737-800 and B737MAX on routes out of Europe.
    Their B787s mostly operate routes from Gatwick under their Norwegian LongHaul subsidiary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0312/1035823-ethiopian-airlines-crash/

So Norwegian have 110 Boeing 737-800's
    and only 18 737-Max.

Surely with it being a quieter time of the year in this neck of the woods they could surely have a few spare 800's that they could use instead of the Max's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Simoseco1

You can’t book through Norwegian website now, all sold out until May, obviously trying to sort themselves out and stretch -800s around the different routes, maybe cancel a few too.

The flights in May are up at €1200ish, flexi, again probably trying to discourage bookings for a while until things are more certain.

How soon, will tomorrow's flight from the USA be cancelled. GF really doesn't want to miss St Patrick's day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

errlloyd wrote: »
    How soon, will tomorrow's flight from the USA be cancelled. GF really doesn't want to miss St Patrick's day.

My guess is the Shannon and Cork flights will be pulled and Dublin will remume as normal, with a different plane.

Norweigian need to give more information but I understand it wasn't there fault. Saying that it's not the passengers fault either so they really need to get information across. The new few days could well decide norweigians future in Ireland and across the Atlantic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kub wrote: »
    Surely with it being a quieter time of the year in this neck of the woods they could surely have a few spare 800's that they could use instead of the Max's.
    March/April is generslly when airline schedules start to ramp back up.

And the -800s may not have the range to crosss without a fuel stop.

Keep in mind that Norwegian have various subsidaries. NAS have the bulk of those aircraft shuttling around Europe. Norwegian Long Haul operate B787s out of Gatwick.
    Norwegian International operate out of Irwland.

Limpy wrote: »
    My guess is the Shannon and Cork flights will be pulled and Dublin will remume as normal, with a different plane.

Norweigian need to give more information but I understand it wasn't there fault. Saying that it's not the passengers fault either so they really need to get information across. The new few days could well decide norweigians future in Ireland and across the Atlantic.

There are no Shannon flights to pull so that ain’t gonna work :). Flights from SNN ORK don’t resume until the beginning of April

There are no Shannon flights to pull so that ain’t gonna work :). Flights from SNN ORK don’t resume until the beginning of April

My bad. I am booked on a providance to Shannon flight myself early April. So I haven't a clue what's gonna happen either. If I had to fly back to Dublin I would accept that but they need to give timely information.

I flew on a half full maxx in November so I though chopping those would make sence from a money saving point(SNN-PVD - Stewart routes) , as they have an excuse now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

All their flights from Shannon to Boston have all gone up to 1200, I was looking at dates for august yesterday they were 550 return they're now gone up to 1200 return.. Ended up booking with aerlingus yesterday evening cause there wasn't a huge difference in price and knew Norwegian flew those planes. bit mad that they've increased the prices all the way to august they won't sell another seat..

could it be a case that they plan on putting the Dublin/Shannon to Boston just as one flight from Dublin maybe?
    so that's why they're down as sold out up to may and why the prices have gone so high for after may.
    Friends are booked with Norwegian for august

• Advertisement

Upon further investigation, ALL flights to the US from DUB/SNN/ORK are marked as “sold out” until the beginning of May. Beyond that they are all listed as €649 one way with only the most expensive fare option available.

Transatlantic flights from Bergen to Stewart also off sale until May.

Upon further investigation, ALL flights to the US from DUB/SNN/ORK are marked as “sold out” until the beginning of May. Beyond that they are all listed as €649 one way with only the most expensive fare option available.

Could it be they are stopping people booking so they can come up with contingency plans for the flights booked now from Ireland to us. Or would these routes be pulled till may?

Limpy wrote: »
    Could it be they are stopping people booking so they can come up with contingency plans for the flights booked now from Ireland to us. Or would these routes be pulled till may?

Not sure, best wait for an official statement. They are definitely discouraging people from booking with those €649 fares from May onwards

Tonight's SWF - DUB flight is on a dreamliner. But they cancelled SWF - EDI.

To be fair to Norwegian they booked my OH on a later return flight that would have been more expensive to give her an extra day here.

Norwegian have announced they'll seek compensation from Boeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I looked at Norwegian flight prices for Dub - SWF recently just out of curiosity, about a month before the Ethiopian crash. It already looked like a lot of their prices had gone up substantially. Thought it was a bit mad since Aer Lingus now do the cheap option without the bag seat blanket etc. but with food and it was around the same.

Norwegian just cancelled today's Boston flights.

In addition tonight's SWF - DUB flight has been delayed by around 13 hours. It will take off 11am US time tomorrow morning (that's 3pm Irish time). I presume that's due to a delay on Dublin - SWF.

(also reminder. If youre on the afternoon Norwegian flight and there is a delay you will not preclear in Dublin and have to pre clear in the USA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

Call me Suspicious Sam, but I wonder does the Sold Out or expensive fair only mean something else coming up on the horizon?? i know their business model is a cut throat/inflexible strategy, but surely they need seats filled not seats empty??

Surely this MAX issue wouldn't have caused this?? It's like they're winding down....

flanzer wrote: »
    Call me Suspicious Sam, but I wonder does the Sold Out or expensive fair only mean something else coming up on the horizon?? i know their business model is a cut throat/inflexible strategy, but surely they need seats filled not seats empty??

Surely this MAX issue wouldn't have caused this?? It's like they're winding down....

To be fair, Germany have closed their airspace to the Max until June or something. So I think Norwegian have just prudently assumed that there are no flights at all.

Atm if you book Dublin - New York (any) it gives you 3 options. Buy a flex fare on one of the normal flights, or buy a flight that connects Via Oslo to JFK on the dreamliner. I suspect that if they can't use the Max, anyone who buys that Flexi will be put on the dreamliner flight via Oslo to JFK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SWF upgauging to 787 temporarily according to a press release, PVD passengers to be carried on it and bussed

Advertisement