Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭ratracer

Limpy wrote: »
    If your lucky they will substitute the plane for another 747, the max8 plane will not fly by next month.

If they don't they will offer you a seat on the flight to Stewart New York, then bus you to Providance, again probably from Dublin. If your not happy with going to Stewart you should book new flights. I am on they same boat but I am accepting the fact I'll be flying to Stewart.

If I know there will be definitely a flight, and we’ll be guaranteed our seats, I don’t mind. It’s a nuisance, but not really Norwegian’s fault. What I would like is some clarity. There’s four in our travelling party, so not just myself to be concerned with.

There DM responses in Twitter are incredibly vague, but I didn’t really expect anything else just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

If they are going to get compensation from Boeing (I think they claimed that they'll try to get that), maybe they will hire in replacement wide-bodies to operate out of Dublin, with the costs maybe covered by that cash.

Prior to the arrival of the Dreamliners in the early days of their long-haul ops, I remember that they were mostly hiring in planes from EuroAtlantic and HiFly. They'd sometimes come back if a Dreamliner went tech.

I think I remember a HiFly A340 being used a lot back then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This is what they say these days
    QVJn1u2.jpg?1

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

zell12 wrote: »
    This is what they say these days
    QVJn1u2.jpg?1

Yeah pretty much since the grounding it's like that. To there credit they are accommodations people albeit via stewart. It seems they are keeping people in the dark to force them to accept stewart as plan B. If they gave people an early option to cancel for free it would be ideal for us but not for them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Asking Norwegian about the Dublin to Hamilton route for April 1st
    Thank you for waiting, Currently, the status of your ticket is still OK. However, it will most probably be cancelled. There may be an option, that it will be operated by our Dreamliner. But it is not confirmed yet. Please, wait for updates to your email. If it will be cancelled, you will have two options: free rebooking or a full refund.

Sean: But when will I know this? I will be leaving canada to fly to Dublin with another airline. I dont want to be trapped in ireland and no way back to canada on the 1st of April?

Mykhaylo: I guess, you will be informed at least one week in advance.

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »

"I Guess", that's his guess not company policy.

People flying from Providance and vice versa in 4 days are kept in the dark. They could curtail the dreamliner flights in other country's to support that flight but it will come down to numbers and money at the end of the day.

Doylers wrote: »

Thanks for keeping us posted on here.
    My flight isn’t until April 17, so obviously I’m getting no info from Norwegian yet. I think the Shannon schedule is supposed to start on Mar29, so I guess I’ll have to wait until then to see how they proceed with those bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

So, by the sounds of it, the early April PVD-ORK flights will actually be PVD-SWF by bus, then SWF to DUB, then another bus from DUB to ORK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

ratracer wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping us posted on here.
    My flight isn’t until April 17, so obviously I’m getting no info from Norwegian yet. I think the Shannon schedule is supposed to start on Mar29, so I guess I’ll have to wait until then to see how they proceed with those bookings.

He actually followed up with more that I didn't attach because I posted during the chat.
    Mykhaylo: You know, I found the confirmed information, that these flights to Toronto from Dublin will be
    cancelled from 02-nd of April only. Hopefully, the 1-st of April flight will fly according to the schedule, with
    another aircraft. In case there will be a change in this schedule as well, you will receive an email with options.

Thoie wrote: »
    So, by the sounds of it, the early April PVD-ORK flights will actually be PVD-SWF by bus, then SWF to DUB, then another bus from DUB to ORK?

That’s also assuming capacity/ availability. There will be five or six flights combined there in one so could be over booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 anonymous08

booked to go shannon-stewart in mid May.

i looked at their website and showing fully booked April. all flights in the summer 649 one way to stewart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How likely are they to be alive by July? Want to book a flight to Norway and SAS are rather expensive in comparison.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

titan18 wrote: »
    How likely are they to be alive by July? Want to book a flight to Norway and SAS are rather expensive in comparison.

What’s likely to happen before Norwegian goes bust is that the various arms of the company would be separated and dismantled. The profitable shorthaul Scandinavian sector is likely to wether almost any storm the airline faces, provided management act sensibly, but who knows, I’m purely speculating here

titan18 wrote: »

When chairmen are stepping down usually a new regime follows. Who knows what way they will go. It will be a shame either way. Atleast the max issue gives them an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah pretty much since the grounding it's like that. To there credit they are accommodations people albeit via stewart. It seems they are keeping people in the dark to force them to accept stewart as plan B. If they gave people an early option to cancel for free it would be ideal for us but not for them!!

:confused: all three of the messages you quoted mention the refund option.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Think the issue is you only get the refund option a week before. Whereas if people knew in advance they could rebook.

Refund only when they officially cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm not sure of the T&Cs for all insurers here and I am 100% not suggesting insurance fraud of any kind. But I think if your flight hasn't yet been canceled there is nothing to prevent you from taking out trip cover now in good faith. If you get the likes of Laya they will cover you the price difference if a canceled flight is refunded forcing you to book a new one on another airline.

At this stage you genuinely don't know if your flight will be canceled so for me it is bona fide.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm not sure of the T&Cs for all insurers here and I am 100% not suggesting insurance fraud of any kind. But I think if your flight hasn't yet been canceled there is nothing to prevent you from taking out trip cover now in good faith. If you get the likes of Laya they will cover you the price difference if a canceled flight is refunded forcing you to book a new one on another airline.

At this stage you genuinely don't know if your flight will be canceled so for me it is bona fide.

I already have annual worldwide travel insurance with my employer via Irish life. Are you saying if the Norwegian flights are cancelled I can get them to pay for new flights? I was thinking its only to get you home per see. Add to that what If Norwegian say there's a flight to Stewart instead? Would travel insurance still cover. I must look at the policy cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I already have annual worldwide travel insurance with my employer via Irish life. Are you saying if the Norwegian flights are cancelled I can get them to pay for new flights? I was thinking its only to get you home per see. Add to that what If Norwegian say there's a flight to Stewart instead? Would travel insurance still cover. I must look at the policy cheers.

Yeah it differs from policy to policy. Most travel insurance will cover alternative travel arrangements (even on outbound flights), although some have exclusions for government mandated groundings. Laya (for example) paid for a friend of mine to switch from Norwegian to Boston to Aer Lingus to Boston last week.

This is a reimbursement. So you pay yourself up front and submit the claim later.

• Advertisement

I spoke with Irish Life Travel Insurance today. They categorically will not cover any cancellation as a result of the airline cancelling flights, or any losses incurred as a result of same. He said that Norwegian would be liable here and any compensation payment would have to be sought through them.

Now if you couldn’t fly due to ill health, bereavement etc, that’s a different story. So, in my case at least, I’m stuck waiting to see if we will get seats ex Dub instead of ex SNN, or else just rebook now with EI and take a chance I will have the option of a refund from Norwegian, except won’t know this until 48/72 hrs before departure date. EI currently €700 dearer than original flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

ratracer wrote: »
    I spoke with Irish Life Travel Insurance today. They categorically will not cover any cancellation as a result of the airline cancelling flights, or any losses incurred as a result of same. He said that Norwegian would be liable here and any compensation payment would have to be sought through them.

Now if you couldn’t fly due to ill health, bereavement etc, that’s a different story. So, in my case at least, I’m stuck waiting to see if we will get seats ex Dub instead of ex SNN, or else just rebook now with EI and take a chance I will have the option of a refund from Norwegian, except won’t know this until 48/72 hrs before departure date. EI currently €700 dearer than original flights.

That doesn’t seem right, my policy definitely covers airline cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Hi All - I posted here about 10 days ago saying I was thinking of booking Norwegian flights from Gatwick to Rio for the end of April. The route isn't starting until the end of this month and a 787 Dreamliner was the planned aircraft.

My question is for people who know more about the industry than me is, would I be mad to book Norwegian given the current uncertainty surrounding the company? The advice a week ago was to book but do so with a credit card. I guess I'm worried that the introduction of the LGW-RIO route might be delayed a few months if the 787 is being used as a substitute for a grounded 737 MAX on a more profitable route.

Has the lack of updates in the past week done anything to change peoples minds or should I still go ahead and book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

Hi All - I posted here about 10 days ago saying I was thinking of booking Norwegian flights from Gatwick to Rio for the end of April. The route isn't starting until the end of this month and a 787 Dreamliner was the planned aircraft.

My question is for people who know more about the industry than me is, would I be mad to book Norwegian given the current uncertainty surrounding the company? The advice a week ago was to book but do so with a credit card. I guess I'm worried that the introduction of the LGW-RIO route might be delayed a few months if the 787 is being used as a substitute for a grounded 737 MAX on a more profitable route.

Has the lack of updates in the past week done anything to change peoples minds or should I still go ahead and book?

I'd say book. I feel that they'd likely prioritise routes like this one out of LGW. Also if they need to take away that 787 from the DUB Shuttle Service they are planning they can still probably hire in a widebody from HiFly to run it.

If I remember right, they hired in that HiFly A380 for routes out of LGW, due to demand and need for more seats / 787s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I don't know if it's any good to you but I booked flights from DUB to GIG via FRA for only 500 euro. When I looked at Norwegian it was 700+ and that didn't include flight from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Garuda talking about cancelling their 737max order due to customers having no faith in the aircraft.. Wonder if Norwegian would consider doing the same :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Garuda talking about cancelling their 737max order due to customers having no faith in the aircraft.. Wonder if Norwegian would consider doing the same :confused:

Garuda had already reduced their order significantly before the crashes. As for Norwegian, they wont. They already have the aircraft in service so why would they go to so much effort, esp given their financial situation? The NEO is sold out for 6-7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3 David N

Norwegian Website is quoting prices in the region of €600 - €800 each way for September flights to Providence RI which were in the region of €125!

Rang customer services who didn't know

Tweeted them and waiting on a reply

Any ideas from here?

Thanks - David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

David N wrote: »
    Norwegian Website is quoting prices in the region of €600 - €800 each way for September flights to Providence RI which were in the region of €125!

Rang customer services who didn't know

Tweeted them and waiting on a reply

Any ideas from here?

Thanks - David

Why do you think random people on the internet would know about Norwegian flight prices?

Welcome to boards and maybe a mod will move this to the travel forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

Just checked the low fares calendar and it looks like Norwegian have a fault on the website. All the fares are showing flex only and hence the high prices.

Either that or they are pulling those routes and they are trying to stop people booking until they announce it.

Anyone else got any theories?

Advertisement