Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Do Norwegian do business class? It would seem that by flying to/from TF they will pretty much lose the J business, which in marginal cases is often what keeps a route afloat. I know if I were travelling for work I may as well route via DUB/LHR/AMS and land in the city rather than have to get from Warwick to downtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Locker10a wrote: »
    Absolute agree there, I recently had family who flew to London, one lives in Cork at the moment, the other in Mayo..:. Guess where they flew to London from!!? ..:..Dublin!!
    This is the trouble with people knowing the price of everything but not the cost..

They may be time rich and cash poor? Although, I bet they spent more on fuel driving to Dublin, tolls, snacks or meals along the way to and from in their effort to "save" money. I did it once when I was about 21 and broke, flying to JFK via LHR to save 50 Irish pounds instead of direct from SNN or DUB. I think I spent that much in the 6 hours I endured in Heathrow on overpriced meals, coffees and pints, magazines etc as well as the extra travel time so never again....

Interesting article in the IT this morning agreeing with some of the suggestions above:

However, it is likely that Norwegian will announce it will fly 12 times per week from Dublin to airports in New York and Rhode Island, while Cork will get three services, also to Rhode Island, with the possibility of further routes added in the future.

One industry source said on Tuesday night news that Norwegian now intended to launch the bulk of its flights from Dublin could be seen as a blow to hopes that its plans would create opportunities for regional airports such as Cork and Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

I know that their maintenance provider is hiring several engineers to cover their DUBLIN flights and are expected to be ready for the summer.
    Not sure which routes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Route and fare details to be announced tomorrow according to the Irish Times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

We always knew it was going to be Dublin as the main feature, although there was a few fantasy's hoping that Cork would be transformed by this announcement.

If the route is cut shortly after commencing, will Norwegians lower fares cause more and more people to travel to Dublin as opposed to connecting in LHR?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

jucylucy wrote: »
    I know that their maintenance provider is hiring several engineers to cover their DUBLIN flights and are expected to be ready for the summer.
    Not sure which routes.....

And cover for Cork and Shannon,heard Belfast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If the route is cut shortly after commencing, will Norwegians lower fares cause more and more people to travel to Dublin as opposed to connecting in LHR?
    personally, I wouldnt be using them. The fares in my opinion wouldnt be cheap enough to justify not going into main airports for a start. I think current transatlantic fares are already very reasonable. The way I see it, they will simply reduce the headline cost and recoup much of this through ancillary means. Now of course if you dont go for any of these, you can save money... Is it worth it? time will tell... It will be interesting to see, how much more demand, cheaper headline fares actually generate...

one thing that makes me laugh though is people paying a large premium for the rubbish meals and 2 or 3 drinks you get on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just researched edinburgh, makes total sense, handled 12.5 million PAX last year, also glasgow close. United, Delta and Virgin fly into NY and CHicago, just took random dates in June. MY GOD the prices, min E1200 return!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just researched edinburgh, makes total sense, handled 12.5 million PAX last year, also glasgow close. United, Delta and Virgin fly into NY and CHicago, just took random dates in June. MY GOD the prices, min E1200 return!!!

That's a bit mad alright. I checked for interest BA, and they do via LHR for around £600.

It does seem strange though that it's so very expensive from EDI. Anyone know why? Lack of competition or some other factor?

• Advertisement

Looks like it's going to be Bradley; Stewart and TF Green. Direct competition with EI on Bradley. Will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be Bradley; Stewart and TF Green. Direct competition with EI on Bradley. Will be very interesting.

Bradley? Where did you hear that? First I heard of Bradley.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Great to see Norwegian using the Ryanair ploy of dumping you nowhere near the City you want to go to. :mad:

Should be marketed as a Cork to Providence route.

After coming off a T/A flight the last thing I want to be doing is spending another couple of hours actually getting to Boston, which is 60 miles away.
    In my opinion the onus in this case is mainly on the purchaser of the ticket. If you dont fully research your own travel plans then you are at fault. If you are not fully confident in using the online booking options then use a travel agent or a trusted family member who prints out your itinerary and a detailed map.
    The whole US North East market is more than just Boston and NYC. While Norwegian is marketing for the big cities but serving smaller airports they are still serving the wider NE suburban region.

Historical Aside: Back when I worked in the airport I was once stopped by a passenger who was horrified to discover that she had to connect to another flight to London. She had booked Aer Lingus "JFK-LHR" and had completely missed the info about the "one stop" part, I met her as she wondered lost inside Pier B. I gently steered her to her gate and went off to my own flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

LiamaDelta wrote: »

I read they were talking about Bradley for next year, not this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Booking doesn't appear to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Flights start on 1st july, you can now book on the airlines website.Tuesday, Thursday and saturday, departing at 16.20 arr 19.05 to Providence. Well there you are folks, it's for real, use it or lose it.

roundymac wrote: »
    Flights start on 1st july, you can now book on the airlines website.Tuesday, Thursday and saturday, departing at 16.20 arr 19.05 to Providence. Well there you are folks, it's for real, use it or lose it.

What site, I was on www.norwegian.com and couldnt find the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

amcalester wrote: »
    What site, I was on www.norwegian.com and couldnt find the flights.
    Not a great start, is it.:confused:

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Not a great start, is it.:confused:

No, I was on to their web chat support as well and they are saying the have no access to information about flights or routes which have not yet been published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I found flights Dublin to Stewart were bookable for me. €69 on way out and €72 on way back however this doesn't include checked baggage so you would need to double this fee if you want a checked bag which I think most going as far as the States would. Get them quick if you want a cheap trip though, I doubt these fares will be available for long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I found flights Dublin to Stewart were bookable for me. €69 on way out and €72 on way back however this doesn't include checked baggage so you would need to double this fee if you want a checked bag which I think most going as far as the States would. Get them quick if you want a cheap trip though, I doubt these fares will be available for long.
    Snn-Pvd bookable too €140 return in September

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

2 people return Aug/Sept €280.40 :D

410111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

TheChizler wrote: »
    2 people return Aug/Sept €280.40 :D

410111.jpg

No food, no bags in that fare you have to remember. THat said you get that in Lowfare+ which probably still works out pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Exit rows appear to be closed off ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would just highlight that people should factor in onward travel costs to their destinations from these airports - and indeed baggage costs before making decisions on these fares - the headline fare might be low, but when you factor in the other costs it will get higher and may be substantially so depending upon where you are going.

Also, no checked bags or food are included in the lowfare category.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

The figures that were up here a while back for marginal weather at cork..how that fare out for a 737 Max???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I hope they learned their lesson of caning a new Boeing type on introduction from the 787 and have suitable recovery time built in here - albeit the MAX shouldn't be anywhere near as problematic

Advertisement