Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

L1011 wrote: »
    I hope they learned their lesson of caning a new Boeing type on introduction from the 787 and have suitable recovery time built in here - albeit the MAX shouldn't be anywhere near as problematic

They Might of gave Airbus a buzz....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Never before has Ireland been so well connected to the outside world to the benefit of the Irish economy and society and yet we have this fool of a man trying to destabilize things:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noonan-raises-prospect-of-reintroducing-air-travel-tax-1.2962887
    It can't be dismissed as hot air since this is the man who saw fit to do the unthinkable by stealing Irish private pensions via a levy and discourage people from starting a pension as a by-product.

Hopefully all the new US routes will stand on their own feet and become fixed items on the arrival and departure boards.

If nothing else they will put downward pressure on trans-atlantic fares from the incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would just highlight that people should factor in onward travel costs to their destinations from these airports - and indeed baggage costs before making decisions on these fares - the headline fare might be low, but when you factor in the other costs it will get higher and may be substantially so depending upon where you are going.

Also, no checked bags or food are included in the lowfare category.
    Yeah but for visiting family it's grand. My mother visits us often in Berlin and just leaves clothes here. She only needs a carry on bag. If you had family in MA you could visit them regularly at those sorts of prices and you wouldn't need a checked bag at all. Obviously same for Irish in America coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Prices are increasing rapidly. Availability of the €69 fares are reducing fast. Many days are now €200 plus, some days are over €600 one way!!! That's with no checked bag or anything. I'll be giving these flights a miss I think. I certainly won't be booking them at the prices on the days that suit me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

737max wrote: »
    Never before has Ireland been so well connected to the outside world to the benefit of the Irish economy and society and yet we have this fool of a man trying to destabilize things:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/noonan-raises-prospect-of-reintroducing-air-travel-tax-1.2962887
    It can't be dismissed as hot air since this is the man who saw fit to do the unthinkable by stealing Irish private pensions via a levy and discourage people from starting a pension as a by-product.

Hopefully all the new US routes will stand on their own feet and become fixed items on the arrival and departure boards.

If nothing else they will put downward pressure on trans-atlantic fares from the incumbents.
    His days are numbered.

I wouldn't be too worried about him at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah but for visiting family it's grand. My mother visits us often in Berlin and just leaves clothes here. She only needs a carry on bag. If you had family in MA you could visit them regularly at those sorts of prices and you wouldn't need a checked bag at all. Obviously same for Irish in America coming home.

Absolutely - just highlighting that while the fare might appear a steal initially that there could be extra costs - people need to look at the entire trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

No matter the pros and cons, Norwegian coming into town is a total game changer . Alan Kelly is spouting in the dail that Cork was a Trojan horse and masked what Norwegians real intentions are re Dublin. Norwegian and FR are in talks about interlining pax onwards......can't see FR coming to agreement with EIN interlining with Norwegian possibly linking up with FR. I find the whole situation fascinating. My question is , with this extra capacity surely it will hit hard with the major carriers ex DUB? Anything that adds to connectivity from our little windswept island is a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Just booked Dub to Stewart return for 2 in October for €470.00 with 1 checked bag and extra leg room. Pretty pleased with that, similar flights into JFK or Newark were priced at about €955.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

amcalester wrote: »
    Just booked Dub to Stewart return for 2 in October for €470.00 with 1 checked bag and extra leg room. Pretty pleased with that, similar flights into JFK or Newark were priced at about €955.00.

Had a look at Stewart airports web site re transport into manhattan. Very very vague. The one thing about JFK which I like and travel a lot on my own is I can jump on the subway into the city and out at anytime re aJFK. The options are not as clear Stewart. I think Norwegian will fill their boots re PVD! All the J1 ers and a huge huge Irish contingent go to the cape every summer without fail. So we have connections to Stewart, PVD, BDL...... then the obvious BOS, JFK, EWR.......surely this is saturation. Will EIN et al engage in a price war? Fascinating stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Had a look at Stewart airports web site re transport into manhattan. Very very vague. The one thing about JFK which I like and travel a lot on my own is I can jump on the subway into the city and out at anytime re aJFK. The options are not as clear Stewart. I think Norwegian will fill their boots re PVD! All the J1 ers and a huge huge Irish contingent go to the cape every summer without fail. So we have connections to Stewart, PVD, BDL...... then the obvious BOS, JFK, EWR.......surely this is saturation. Will EIN et al engage in a price war? Fascinating stuff

I thought the links from Stewart were very vague too, but I'm not in much of a rush to get to NYC itself and was thinking of staying locally for a day, maybe go to see West Point which isn't too far away.

By October its possible that there'll be better links direct to Manhattan from the airport, so I'll wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

So we have connections to Stewart, PVD, BDL...... then the obvious BOS, JFK, EWR.......surely this is saturation. Will EIN et al engage in a price war? Fascinating stuff
    I'm pretty certain there'll be a price war. You can see it in other DY markets such as Oslo, Stockholm and Gatwick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

From what I can see it's a 35 minute bus ride from Stewart Airport to Beacon Station (Leprechaun bus lines) and then an hourly train service from there to Grand Central that takes 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you can bring on 10kg hand baggage for free. If you are travelling with other people, just split a checked in bag between you. As for drink / food, you can bring food onto plane! Maybe some of you have a different experience to me, but I fly a lot, plane food is s**te!

It looks to me, if you are clever and dont mind a longer travel time in, you will be potentially able to make significant enough savings...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Trust Labour TD Alan Kelly to put a dampener on the good news suggesting a Trojan horse conspiracy theory that Cork airport was "used" to advance a third terminal at DUB??? how does today's route announcement allude to that??? See his comments in attached.

Low-cost airline announces Ireland-US flights
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0223/854826-norwegian-airline/

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Trust Labour TD Alan Kelly to put a dampener on the good news suggesting a Trojan horse conspiracy theory that Cork airport was "used" to advance a third terminal at DUB??? how does today's route announcement allude to that??? See his comments in attached.

Low-cost airline announces Ireland-US flights
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0223/854826-norwegian-airline/

He's irrelevant,nobody listens to the fool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EI will respond similar to how they handled Ryanair when they started BVA, HHN etc.

It will depend how much traffic they lose but these supposedly low fares might stimulate demand.

what s**te is Alan Kelly coming out with?! Dublin has ten times the cork traffic, 50 flights a day I read to the us over the summer. What the hell did he expect? Cork has its transatlantic flight!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

What has happened to the Cork Barcelona route that norwegian were going to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork was used by Norwegian in this case though to get approval for the services, when the real goal was Dublin.

That's never been exactly hard to see though.

I notice that 5 airports got services today from Norwegian, ORK,SNN,DUB,BFS,EDI and out of them ORK is the only one without a service to Stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    What has happened to the Cork Barcelona route that norwegian were going to operate

That was the plan around 2 years back when the flights were planned to be BCN-ORK-BOS, BCN-BOS materialised by itself so that was no longer going to happen.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Cork was used by Norwegian in this case though to get approval for the services, when the real goal was Dublin.

That's never been exactly hard to see though.

I notice that 5 airports got services today from Norwegian, ORK,SNN,DUB,BFS,EDI and out of them ORK is the only one without a service to Stewart.

which it will allegedly get in April 2018. Would be good to see a Cork to Dublin flight re-instated. Its a shame Irish are being routed via London etc to the Us, instead of Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

TheChizler wrote: »
    2 people return Aug/Sept €280.40 :D
    You've done well. Aer Lingus basic return fare DUB to BOS is 527.56 for those dates - plus your costs in getting to Dublin and back to Cork.

Correction: OOPS that's just for one passenger. x 2 = 1055!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Very very vague

I wouldn't say its that vague... "Metro-North’s Hudson line provides a direct link to Grand Central Station in New York City from the Beacon Station. Leprechaun Bus Lines provides frequent and inexpensive connections from the Beacon Station to Stewart. Taxi service is also available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I wouldn't say its that vague... "Metro-North’s Hudson line provides a direct link to Grand Central Station in New York City from the Beacon Station. Leprechaun Bus Lines provides frequent and inexpensive connections from the Beacon Station to Stewart. Taxi service is also available"
    ...and car hire? am I the only one who when travelling straps a cabin approved rucksack to his back and then walks to the car hire desk to collect the car.

These problems with inaccessibility and charges for luggage are non-issues for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

737max wrote: »
    These problems with inaccessibility and charges for luggage are non-issues for me.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a return trip for two in late Jan for €277 for two. Free 10kg cabin bag each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is there a possiblity for people from elsewhere in europe to access these flights through norwegian or a partnered airline or are these routes set up in a hope that irelands demand alone will sustain these services?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Has anyone worked out how they'll take off from Cork on a full pax/cargo/fuel load, then fly direct? Wasn't that pointed out earlier in the thread, due to the limitations in the length of the runway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    which it will allegedly get in April 2018. Would be good to see a Cork to Dublin flight re-instated. Its a shame Irish are being routed via London etc to the Us, instead of Dublin...

What Irish are being routed to London? There are more direct flights to USA from Ireland now than at anytime in history!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Has anyone worked out how they'll take off from Cork on a full pax/cargo/fuel load, then fly direct? Wasn't that pointed out earlier in the thread, due to the limitations in the length of the runway?

I asked a friend of mine who drives the 737 for a living. He said, and I quote:

"The MAX can do it fully loaded on 35 with flap 25, 26k thrust at v1 141, vr 141, v2 148 n1%98.33."

He says the -800 can also get out at MTOW in dry, but not in wet/contaminated.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Noxegon wrote: »
    I asked a friend of mine who drives the 737 for a living. He said, and I quote:

"The MAX can do it fully loaded on 35 with flap 25, 26k thrust at v1 141, vr 141, v2 148 n1%98.33."

He says the -800 can also get out at MTOW in dry, but not in wet/contaminated.

*DING DONG* 'Sorry, we regret to inform you that flight D81821, to Providence, has been cancelled due to rain' :D

Advertisement