Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ongarboy wrote: »
    What Irish are being routed to London? There are more direct flights to USA from Ireland now than at anytime in history!

you cant fly Cork to Dub, so IAG route all Cork - US traffic through the uk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

flanzer wrote: »
    *DING DONG* 'Sorry, we regret to inform you that flight D81821, to Providence, has been cancelled due to rain' :D

I rather suspect that's why Stewart from Cork hasn't been launched yet; they're waiting on the MAX.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

*DING DONG* 'Sorry, we regret to inform you that flight D81821, to Providence, has been cancelled due to rain'

Airlines don't tend to cancel flights when a wet/contaminated RWY is affecting performance ... they just leave behind some bags/cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

1123heavy wrote: »
    they just leave behind some bags/cargo.

Don't talk about the passengers that way! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you cant fly Cork to Dub, so IAG route all Cork - US traffic through the uk...

What difference will it make to Cork airport users whether they fly Cork - Dublin or Cork - LHR to connect to the USA?

Its still 2 flights and a transfer, its not as if they will save much time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

elastico wrote: »
    What difference will it make to Cork airport users whether they fly Cork - Dublin or Cork - LHR to connect to the USA?

There isn't enough transatlantic traffic alone to warrant setting up a Cork-Dublin sector, so the passengers are filtered through London instead where there is a sufficient demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Aircraft seem to have near a 8 hour turnaround in many cases.
    Flight times:

Dublin
    Before 27th October

DUB-PVD 15:55-18:45 Daily excl TUE/SAT
    PVD-DUB 20:00-07:55 Daily excl MON/FRI

DUB-SWF 15:55-18:55 Daily
    SWF-DUB 19:55-07:55 Daily

After 27th October

DUB-PVD 15:45-18:35 MON/WED/FRI
    PVD-DUB 21:00-08:10 SUN/TUE/THURS

Providence reduces from 5pw to 3pw

DUB-SWF 16:25-18:35 MON/WED/FRI
    SWF-DUB 21:25-08:50 SUN/TUE/THURS

Stewart reduces from daily to 3pw

Shannon
    Before 27th October

SNN-PVD 16:25-18:55 MON/FRI
    PVD-SNN 20:35-08:25 SUN/THURS

SNN-SWF 16:15-19:00 WED/SUN
    SWF-SNN 20:25-08:20 TUE/SAT

After 27th October

SNN-PVD 15:00-16:40 TUE/SAT
    PVD-SNN 21:00-08:05 MON/FRI

SNN-SWF 14:40-16:40 THURS/SUN
    SWF-SNN 21:00-08:15 WED/SAT

No change in frequency

Cork
    Before 27th October

ORK-PVD 16:20-19:05 TUE/THURS/SAT
    PVD-ORK 20:50-08:45 MON/WED/FRI

After 27th October

ORK-PVD 16:25-18:15 THURS/SUN
    PVD-ORK 20:45-07:45 WED/SAT

Providence reduces from 3pw to 2pw

Also worth noting most cheap fares are gone and the vast majority of fares are above €500, yet with no baggage/food and flying to airports in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Wondering about that myself, I would've thought the highest prices would be around €350 return, given that no baggage/food/in flight entertainment included. And the fact that you're flying to a regional airport. Can't see many booking once price goes above €350 rtn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

These airports aren't in the middle of nowhere. Millions of people live within 30 minutes drive of these regional airports in the North East US. The Irish diaspora isn't just in New York or Boston. I think people who ordinarily might have come home or gone out to visit once a year might now go several times a year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

flanzer wrote: »
    Has anyone worked out how they'll take off from Cork on a full pax/cargo/fuel load, then fly direct? Wasn't that pointed out earlier in the thread, due to the limitations in the length of the runway?
    Somehow I am going to guess that someone in Norwegian flight planning has already run the numbers on this one and decided that they will take off just fine. (and as with many airports/runways around the world, "with some operational limitations")

Wondering about that myself, I would've thought the highest prices would be around €350 return, given that no baggage/food/in flight entertainment included. And the fact that you're flying to a regional airport. Can't see many booking once price goes above €350 rtn
    Posters here are looking at this from a European PoV.
    Look across the pond at the US industry; They dont have the same fasination with massive hubs that we do,these destinations work just fine for pax originating in the NE corridor.
    Their legacy carriers have cut back massively on inflight services so that on flights up to 5-6 hours (EG LAX-BOS, SFO-HNL)you may not get any complimentary inflight service apart from hot/soft drinks and some cookies/snacks in Coach.
    So this offering from NAI isnt that big of a step from what is already offered internally in the USA.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    So this offering from NAI isnt that big of a step from what is already offered internally in the USA.

By all accounts its comparable to what you get on EI/FR on a European flight. Having flown to Marrakech recently (in a headwind) I'd argue that two more hours would make no difference to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    Tenger wrote: »

By all accounts its comparable to what you get on EI/FR on a European flight. Having flown to Marrakech recently (in a headwind) I'd argue that two more hours would make no difference to me.

I think today's announcement marks the beginning of the end of EI's current transatlantic model, it's only a matter of time now before EI roll out their European product to their long haul.
    By 2020 EI will offer 3 classes of cabins on transatlantic, Business class(no change) Economy Plus (basically today's economy) and low fares cabin which will basically be the exact same as their euopean product, buy on board, pay for seats, bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

elastico wrote: »

Clear customs in Dublin though, time saved there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭john boye

Is it though? The airports Norwegian are flying into aren't exactly going to be bustling with international flights arriving

I doubt it, T2 is fairly full in Dublin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Their twitter account is saying you will go through immigration in NYC, so I assume you skip it in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There are virtually no other international flights at either Providence or Stewart so I wouldn't be too worried about the length of time it may take to process the flights there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

lxflyer wrote: »
    There are virtually no other international flights at either Providence or Stewart so I wouldn't be too worried about the length of time it may take to process the flights there.

I'd argue the opposite. When you have CBP in Ireland, people go through at their leisure, some will go through 2 hours before some will run through 30 mins prior, either way flight leaves on time. Given the way US customs now is stateside, trying to clear a customs desk which may only have one or two guys working, with 180 people all arriving at once, could take you an hour at least if you were sat at the back of the plane,even longer if you have 2 or 3 flights landing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just looking on Wikipedia at the profile of the airports that Norwegian will serve in the USA, we are really talking about a tiny airport at Stewart that has less passenger traffic (approx 300K) currently than Kerry airport although I'm sure that will significantly improve this year with the additional routes from Ireland. This low patronage suggests the airport facilities will be quite basic at this airport. Providence TF Green airport on the other hand caters for approx 3.5 million and used to handle up to 6 million in the 2000s so it will probably be a much better equipped airport for passenger facilities/shopping/dining etc.

bk wrote: »
    Their twitter account is saying you will go through immigration in NYC, so I assume you skip it in Dublin.

NYC? Sadly it won't be going through immigration there either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

USPC has not been decided by either DY, DUB or the US authorities who operate it. The twitter team wouldn't have a clue about USPC in Dublin or even if a decision has been made.

It is however likely to be in the US if you look at it practically.

Norwegians prices have gone from Eye-Wateringly cheap to Eye-Wateringly expensive.

Cheapest return flight from Shannon to Providence in August is €599.80,
    Cheapest return flight from Shannon to Boston in August is €517.64,

Guess which one offers a 20kg allowance, free meal, allocated seating and actually flies to a central airport, all included in the fare.

Let's be fair and purchase the LowFare+ with Norwegian which offers the same service as Aer Lingus, and the cheapest fare in august is now €729.80, more than €200 more expensive.

False economy?

Addition:

Cheapest Shannon - Stewart in August with United = €479.80 (€609.80 on LowFare+)
    Cheapest Shannon - New York-JFK in August with Aer Lingus = €583.65
    Cheapest Shannon - New York-JFK in August with Delta = €611.57
    Cheapest Shannon - Newark in August with United Airlines = €575

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Had a quick look at some of the quoted prices to Rhode Island. Very expensive, think I might stick to the legacy carriers for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Guess which one offers a 20kg allowance, free meal, allocated seating and actually flies to a central airport, all included in the fare.

Don't you pay for allocated seating on Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

embraer170 wrote: »
    Don't you pay for allocated seating on Aer Lingus?

Free choice at time of booking on transatlantic services

Norwegians prices have gone from Eye-Wateringly cheap to Eye-Wateringly expensive.

Providence *is* a central airport for those going to Providence :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Let's be fair and purchase the LowFare+ with Norwegian which offers the same service as Aer Lingus, and the cheapest fare in august is now €729.80, more than €200 more expensive.

False economy?

Addition:

Cheapest Shannon - Stewart in August with United = €479.80 (€609.80 on LowFare+)
    Cheapest Shannon - New York-JFK in August with Aer Lingus = €583.65
    Cheapest Shannon - New York-JFK in August with Delta = €611.57
    Cheapest Shannon - Newark in August with United Airlines = €575

Just booked for Thanksgiving in New England at about a third of the price I paid for last year with Aer Lingus......

PVD is about 90 mins from downtown Boston - the train (MBTA) goes from the airport right into South Station - plus it's smaller and easier to move around than Logan - distance-wise it may not be 'central' but timewise it's not bad.

Hartford, for example wouldn't have the connectivity PVD has.

I've already advised the family over there that they'll be seeing a lot more of me thanks to Norwegian. Hopefully it'll encourage Aer Lingus to be a bit more competitive outside the high demand periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hilarious mis-fire of an ad in the papers today. Stating all their cheapest fares are gone and claiming a relatively high density 737 is "one of the most comfortable aircraft"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Flying into the "central" option won't be the best option for everyone. Also if visiting family or friends, everyone over there drives and can probably give a lift. This Norwegian announcement is nothing but good news. Will they be securing longer range aircraft? Would love if they could serve more than just east coast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,679 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Flying into the "central" option won't be the best option for everyone. Also if visiting family or friends, everyone over there drives and can probably give a lift. This Norwegian announcement is nothing but good news. Will they be securing longer range aircraft? Would love if they could serve more than just east coast!

They have 787s, if they wanted to fly them from Ireland. There isn't, and won't be a narrowbody that can go further than the midwest; and I doubt ORK/SNN/BFS would support a widebody of any description to those locations.

Advertisement