If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding soundbar

Options
  • 03-12-2016 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi there and hope you are well...

The past few weeks I have been considering getting a soundbar. Recently purchased a house and turning it into a home so at least I can consider making a slightly bigger purchase knowing that I have final say (well, with the wife that is! :P ) about what can go where.

Starting my look for a soundbar was the equivalent to looking for a needle in a haystack! Lots of options out there depending on the budget. I spent a great deal of time trying to track down lists of reviews/budget options and you would get a variety of opinions on quality. I'd find one that I would think 'hmm, okay, that could be interesting and well priced' before looking at reviews and it gives it middling reviews. Admittedly, they could be getting those reviews to be comparable to the high priced models.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit...

One of the models I noted in your stock that seemed to fall into the category of (a) reasonable priced budget and (2) generally favorable reviews was the Philips HTL5140. What I have found on it rates it reasonable well. Although some of the buyer feedback on stores have noted potential techinical issues like the loss of bluetooth connection to the sub. I'm just wondering if that is a known issue you have had to deal with it.

Obviously something like this is a big purchase. I'm trying to get around and make the best choice for my money. I'd also like to think that this item is going to be serving me for many, many years hopefully. So it is important to make the right choice. I have set myself a budget around the 200-300 mark - but if something was to creep over that meant absolute quality, I'd consider it given that I see this for long term use.

Would I be missing the mark with the one I have chosen, or would you have some other suggestions to consider? Personally, given the price of such a purchase, I'd rather actually spend a few bob more to buy it from a store such as yourselves that offers a bricks and motar option than from an online-only vendor. :) 

Anyway, sorry for the long ramble on a Saturday morning. I will thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer this query.

Regards,

racersedge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Any chance of some feedback on this. Just want to make sure it didn't get lost in the shuffle having posted at the weekend. :)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Racersedge,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - we are nearly up to date but we are still a little behind - apologies!

We have sold 100's of the HTL5140 and we have had virtually no issues with them - of course online you may see some issue with BT connectivity but Bluetooth does have many variables including distance limitations and it can in very rare occasions be prone to external RF interference - however in our experience its pretty bulletproof - for under £200 there are very few Sub / Bar combos that will touch it:
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201499-htl5140.aspx

If were able to upgrade the next one up to consider is the stunning Q Acoustics Media 4:
    http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/media-4/review

The Media 4 is a bit of a step up at £269 but its exceptional quality and it does not even have a sub - it honestly doesn't need one! unless you have the space for the Monitor Audio ASB2 at £299 there are very few soundbars under £500 that will come close to the Media 4.

Apologies again for the delay and keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.