Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Management on Aussie Holiday

• 03-12-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

I am heading to Australia in the new year for 2 weeks and looking for advice on least cost / most secure way to manage cash and access to cash when there.

I am going to have ca€2k in cash with credit card as a back up.

Options as I see them
    1. Have all cash in Aus Dollars before I travel (split up cash in carry on, wallet separately, down the socks etc.)
    2. Precharge cash onto credit card and access through ATMs etc ? (A work colleague whose opinion I would value told me this week that cash on credit card is not actually insured, which was news to me)
    3. access cash through ATM (Debit Card) in Australia (BOI Visa Debit)

Would welcome your advice on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

2. Precharge cash onto credit card and access through ATMs etc ?

I have traveled to Australia many times and have always put my money on MY CC never an issue.
    Always use Westpac/Commonwealth/ ANZ - dont use the ATMS in 711 or Bars Clubs unless your really stuck they charge very large fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

look into Revolut.............money held in euro but can be spent in any currency at an excellent exchange rate you will not get from any bank.
    Not exactly sure how it works with atm's so you need to check that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

If you have a friend you could trust who lives here then I would send it via currencyfair to your friends Australian bank account and get them to take out the AUD for you. It will save you some money on fess and you will get a much better rate than the bank.......provided your friend (if you have one here) doesn't just go and spend it themselves :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Legend100 wrote: »
    If you have a friend you could trust who lives here then I would send it via currencyfair to your friends Australian bank account and get them to take out the AUD for you. It will save you some money on fess and you will get a much better rate than the bank.......provided your friend (if you have one here) doesn't just go and spend it themselves :-)

Thanks Legend100, this sounds like a good solution. Going to visit family there, so this idea should work very well. Cheers.

Advertisement