Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Manor Rivervalley Area

Options
  • 03-12-2016 11:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

I am moving house to swords in the coming weeks, I've just left trinity and moving out of my city centre flat. I have relatives in the Berwick area and they have given me some advice, but they moved away recently. However, I stumbled across this, an incident that happened on 3 August 2008:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iozdle_98Q8

I am really reconsidering.

Any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I wouldn't recommend walking through that (or any) park late at night. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything to worry about. If your concern is that Swords is not a safe area generally, then that is not the case. It's no different to anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

TheIT wrote: »
    Hi

I am moving house to swords in the coming weeks, I've just left trinity and moving out of my city centre flat. I have relatives in the Berwick area and they have given me some advice, but they moved away recently. However, I stumbled across this, an incident that happened on 3 August 2008:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iozdle_98Q8

I am really reconsidering.

Any advice?

Cheers

I live in Swords Manor and like the other poster said , it's a park at night , no different to any other. I wouldn't walk through St Anne's park in Clontarf or Malahide Castle grounds at night either. The park or the valley is lovely during the day for a walk or run , full of families and people walking dogs.
    I've lived here 15 years and really like the area , obviously there are problem individuals like anywhere but the majority are good people and there's a good sense of community on most roads. Feel free to PM if you want any specifics on areas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭TheIT

Hi lads.

I had a walk through the Jacko this afternoon and its grand. I was probably just worrying about nothing. However, I am a bit concerned about the burglary threat in Abbeyvale area and the risk if I am walking home between 1y
    1 and 4 in the night. Any advice?

Hi lads.

I had a walk through the Jacko this afternoon and its grand. I was probably just worrying about nothing. However, I am a bit concerned about the burglary threat in Abbeyvale area and the risk if I am walking home between 1y
    1 and 4 in the night. Any advice?

In the time I've lived here , there was one burglary on my road of 20 houses and that was an unalarmed house, but that's not abbeyvale. I hadn't heard of a particular threat in Abbeyvale. I would walk from the Main St home plenty of times and have never experienced any trouble. I live near the bus stop so walking home from there isn't an issue though it is great if you fall asleep on the nitelink or SExpress.

If I was coming home from a house in Rivervalley just at the Jacko, and I wanted to get back, how would I be able to safely cross the Jacko.

I'll rephrase that, if I absolutely had to cross the jacko at 3 am what would be the safe way to do it.

I'm a 21 year old 6'2 male.

• Advertisement

If I was coming home from a house in Rivervalley just at the Jacko, and I wanted to get back, how would I be able to safely cross the Jacko.

I'll rephrase that, if I absolutely had to cross the jacko at 3 am what would be the safe way to do it.

I'm a 21 year old 6'2 male.

You'd probably be fine , I've never done it and can't think of any scenario where I'd chance it to be honest. There is only 2-3 exits on the Manor side , but if you had to the one by the playground would be your best bet , down the tarmac path on the River valley side. Get a 5 euro taxi !

What would be the most isolated and dangerous area of the Jacko and the most dodgy part of swords in general?

What would be the most isolated and dangerous area of the Jacko and the most dodgy part of swords in general?

Not something I've ever given much thought to . I wouldn't class any part of the Jacko as any more dangerous than anywher else. The parts down by the pond and mill.would be isolated , but can't see why you'd be down there at night . To me it's like avoiding alleyways in Temple bar at night , use some common sense you'll be fine. I don't think any parts of Swords are any worse than anywhere else. Look for trouble and you'll.find it , but be sensible you'll be grand

Are there any danegrous people around, for example, the toe rag who carried out the sex assault in the jacko? Has he been apprehended?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP, so far you've mentioned multiple events that could happen anywhere. Swords is like anywhere else in modern Ireland - no matter where you live you need to be sensible.

It seems to me that you're more interested in highlighting the negatives than anything else. Maybe a phone call to your relatives who used to live in Swords would help clarify things for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I spent a good portion of my youth walking through the Jacko at all times and never had any problems. I have had one or two random idiots try and start on me on Main St. late at night, so I'd for me the dodgiest part of Swords is Main St. after the pubs and clubs close.

Ok, but I am just enquiring about if there are any known weirdos around in the immediate vicinity of swords manor. I went down the jacko yesterday and its actually quite nice, given the numerous sexual assaults that seem to be frequent in that park.

I have my sights on a property in abbeyvale, but i want to know that there are no people who i would rather avoid around.

I work in RTE, and today on my lunch break i went up to the manor shopping centre. I went into the spar and the graingers manor inn. Seems fairly nice. What would be a high risk time around swords manor? Any bad incidents in the past few years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok, but I am just enquiring about if there are any known weirdos around in the immediate vicinity of swords manor. I went down the jacko yesterday and its actually quite nice, given the numerous sexual assaults that seem to be frequent in that park.

I have my sights on a property in abbeyvale, but i want to know that there are no people who i would rather avoid around.

I work in RTE, and today on my lunch break i went up to the manor shopping centre. I went into the spar and the graingers manor inn. Seems fairly nice. What would be a high risk time around swords manor? Any bad incidents in the past few years?

I've lived in Swords the past 7 or so years and don't recall a single of the "numerous" sexual assaults you mention.

HOnestly I think you need to get over this negativity

And if you work in RTE why in gods name would you choose to live in Swords and have a long commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

I've lived in Rivervalley for 28 years and cannot fathom where you're getting your numerous sexual assaults from. There were two cases in the Jacko that I know of in that time. Think you're worrying about nothing. If you want a 100% safe environment you need to go live alone on an island. Swords is no more dangerous than any town in Ireland.
    Youve a lot of detailed questions.... are you sure you're not researching for RTÉ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP, it seems as if you're trying to draw people on "bad incidents" and "known weirdos" around Swords, and aren't interested in the area in general. If you read the Boards charter you'll see that even if the were any "known weirdos", mentioning them by name would not be permitted - no matter where they live.

Now you're asking what is a high risk time around Swords Manor :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Troll me thinks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - You've been told by the good people of Swords that your fears are unfounded. Yet you persist in banging on about sexual assaults that no other locals are aware of. If you think that Swords is too dangerous for a 6'2" bloke - find somewhere better suited to your disposition.

Because if I think that you are just here to wind up the locals your access to the forum may be removed.

tHB

Ok I'm sorry. Maybe I can now focus on the positives of the area, as seen as it is against the boards rules to focus on the negatives�� So, what are the ups and downs of living in swords?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Ups, pavilions, airside, m50/1, coast, dart, empire, pound, schoolhouse, borimhe medical centre/shopping, nice folk.

Downs, poxy getting home after pints in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Ok I'm sorry. Maybe I can now focus on the positives of the area, as seen as it is against the boards rules to focus on the negatives�� So, what are the ups and downs of living in swords?

It is not against boards rules to focus on negatives. However, to continually ignore good advice by informed locals & to make repeated negative unsubstantiated allegations may be seen as trolling. I hope you can see the difference.

tHB

• Advertisement

Ok I comprehend that i was making myself out to be a troll but that is NOT my intention. I work part time on rte news and current affairs and on radio 1 on the switchboard. In fact, i was responsible for all the live broadcasts on rte news now today, i did he first half of the six one and am coming off rte now. I'm in a flat in the lesson street area.

I would like to ask what areas in swords in general to avoid and what areas to consider. Is that ok?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok I comprehend that i was making myself out to be a troll but that is NOT my intention. I work part time on rte news and current affairs and on radio 1 on the switchboard. In fact, i was responsible for all the live broadcasts on rte news now today, i did he first half of the six one and am coming off rte now. I'm in a flat in the lesson street area.

I would like to ask what areas in swords in general to avoid and what areas to consider. Is that ok?

I can't think of anywhere to avoid on the basis of safety tbh, main street near the castle is a pain in the hole at night.

I'd live anywhere in Swords serviced by the Swords Express, excluding Holywell as it's just a bit far out.

Ok maybe i can settle for abbeyvale. BTW i saw a strange cat-like creature on the way to glendalough last night. Bit off topic but i guess i should just let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Aaaaaaand we're done.

Not necessarily, I am stil a bit wary of the fact that there could be dangerous people around. I am not trolling but am trying to figure out if,without naming, the suspect in the Jacko case has been apprehended, then I will settle for a house in Abbeyvale.

Locals, please?

Not necessarily, I am stil a bit wary of the fact that there could be dangerous people around. I am not trolling but am trying to figure out if,without naming, the suspect in the Jacko case has been apprehended, then I will settle for a house in Abbeyvale.

Locals, please?

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/man-posed-as-teen-before-raping-girl-14-at-knifepoint-27816047.html

You are aware there was an attempted gangland related shooting close to Swords Manor a month ago?

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/tommy-savage-shooting-gardai-probing-12096107

Seriously you need to get over this obsession you have, there are dangerous people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I'd like to hear more about this strange cat creature. OP, by any chance did it have any of the following:

a retractable leg so it can leap up at you better?
    lights up at night?
    four ears, two are for listening and the other two are kind of back up ears
    claws as big as cups?
    a tremendous fear of stamps,?
    magnets on it's tail?
    four arses?

I'd like to hear more about this strange cat creature. OP, by any chance did it have any of the following:

a retractable leg so it can leap up at you better?
    lights up at night?
    four ears, two are for listening and the other two are kind of back up ears
    claws as big as cups?
    a tremendous fear of stamps,?
    magnets on it's tail?
    four arses?

Sure don't you know there are tigers hiding in the jacko :)

OP, if you're that interested in the suspect you can do your research elsewhere. You've trolled this forum enough, think carefully before posting here again.
    Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement