Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb in New York…

Options
  • 03-12-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Myself, wife and child plus my dad, cousin and his wife are all going to travel to New York for my Grandad's 90th birthday, staying for 10 days.

My grandad lives in Brighton Beach. Initially my dad was looking at a Sleep Inn Hotel in Coney Island. The rooms there ar $170 per night.

But myself and my cousin think That the area the hotel is, is a bit dodge. We then thought instead of renting three separate hotel rooms why not try Airbnb and rent out a whole apartment. For the same, or similar money we can rent out a whole apartment in Brooklyn, somewhere like Williamsburg, and all stay together.

Doing further research, it seems it is now illegal since 2010 to rent out a whole apartment for less than 30 days. How is it then that there are hundreds of such places up for rent on Airbnb?

I think it's too much of a risk for us to go ahead with Airbnb?

Has anyone rented a whole apartment with Airbnb in NYC? It's looking like we might have to go back to initial plan of hotel rooms, but at a more favourable local…

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the travel forum. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The question here is can you afford to risk it? Personally I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

mad muffin wrote: »
    Myself, wife and child plus my dad, cousin and his wife are all going to travel to New York for my Grandad's 90th birthday, staying for 10 days.

My grandad lives in Brighton Beach. Initially my dad was looking at a Sleep Inn Hotel in Coney Island. The rooms there ar $170 per night.

But myself and my cousin think That the area the hotel is, is a bit dodge. We then thought instead of renting three separate hotel rooms why not try Airbnb and rent out a whole apartment. For the same, or similar money we can rent out a whole apartment in Brooklyn, somewhere like Williamsburg, and all stay together.

Doing further research, it seems it is now illegal since 2010 to rent out a whole apartment for less than 30 days. How is it then that there are hundreds of such places up for rent on Airbnb?

I think it's too much of a risk for us to go ahead with Airbnb?

Has anyone rented a whole apartments with Airbnb in NYC? It's looking like we might have to go back to initial plan of hotel rooms, but at a more favourable local…

Because the property owners think it is worth the risk to make a truck load of money, by renting out their properties to visting vactioners. There are a lot more properties up for short term rent, than there are inspectors policing the NYC listings.

Advertisement