Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor lights install

Options
  • 03-12-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I want to install 3 No. PIR sensor lights around the house; front, rear & side.

I'm planning to take the permanent Live for each individual PIR light from 3 separate light switches upstairs, run them into individual fused FCU's for easy isolation/safety and from there, into a junction box. Planning to take Neutrals & Earths from upstairs light fittings into the junction box as well.. And use NYMJ cable for cables running to PIR lights, due to it's suitability for outdoor use. All cabling will be in the attic, so this should make install a lot easier than having to lift floorboards etc.

Looking for advice/opinions on this arrangement. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I want to install 3 No. PIR sensor lights around the house; front, rear & side.

I'm planning to take the permanent Live for each individual PIR light from 3 separate light switches upstairs, run them into individual fused FCU's for easy isolation/safety and from there, into a junction box. Planning to take Neutrals & Earths from upstairs light fittings into the junction box as well.. And use NYMJ cable for cables running to PIR lights, due to it's suitability for outdoor use. All cabling will be in the attic, so this should make install a lot easier than having to lift floorboards etc.

Looking for advice/opinions on this arrangement. Thanks.

too complicated imho
    1.5 t&e from distribution board to 3 gang light switch on landing fed from 10a mcb
    3 individual nym to each light from switch
    run cable inside hotpress and drill out to switch on landing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

And use NYMJ cable for cables running to PIR lights, due to it's suitability for outdoor use.
    NYM-J is not particularly suitable for outdoor use. For a start, it wouldn't be UV resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Risteard81 wrote: »
    NYM-J is not particularly suitable for outdoor use. For a start, it wouldn't be UV resistant.

What would you recommend for the outdoor runs of cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Risteard81 wrote: »

What would you recommend for the outdoor runs of cable?
    If it is exposed then Hi-Tuff is an option if not buried, otherwise SWA. Or singles in conduit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Nyj-j is the outdoor variant of the ny cable, most likely available from meteor electrical online.

You could use double pole switches if you are worried about working on them individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You might consider keeping PIR and light separate.
    I use a dusk to dawn sensor which is wired to bypass the pirs so if I am away herself can leave them on overnight as added security, they are 10 watt leds
    I also have an isolation switch so as I can turn them off if required.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement