Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed has been shocking all day

Options
  • 03-12-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Hello Eir,

My 12Mbps package has been clocking a whopping 2Mbps or less (More often less) all day today.. It's at the point of being unusable.. Pages taking an eternity to load, videos simply don't play.. Fun times when I have work to get done on a Saturday afternoon! :)

Here is the best part: I decided to give the online chat a go and the gentleman on the other end decided that he would do me a favour - Decided to brighten my weekend - By offering me an increase on my package from 12Mb/s to 10Mbs... Yeah... I'm not sure he understood what he was saying to me
    https://i.imgur.com/Y19c0mM.png

This gentleman told me he would reset my line and the chat may disconnect when he did so.. but my modem never turned off and the chat did indeed disconnect.. Read that however you want.. 

I've had problem after problem since signing up for your service. I have been absolutely patient so far and assisted in any and all troubleshooting steps. We finally resolved a problem I was experiencing where my ping would spike into the 1000's randomly which actually did cause the internet to become unusable.. That is not an exaggeration either, my computer would actually disconnect from the internet entirely while the modem sorted itself out.. 

I'm tired of paying 50 quid a month for a service that works infrequently.. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Danger781 wrote: »
    Hello Eir,

My 12Mbps package has been clocking a whopping 2Mbps or less (More often less) all day today.. It's at the point of being unusable.. Pages taking an eternity to load, videos simply don't play.. Fun times when I have work to get done on a Saturday afternoon! :)

Here is the best part: I decided to give the online chat a go and the gentleman on the other end decided that he would do me a favour - Decided to brighten my weekend - By offering me an increase on my package from 12Mb/s to 10Mbs... Yeah... I'm not sure he understood what he was saying to me
    https://i.imgur.com/Y19c0mM.png

This gentleman told me he would reset my line and the chat may disconnect when he did so.. but my modem never turned off and the chat did indeed disconnect.. Read that however you want.. 

I've had problem after problem since signing up for your service. I have been absolutely patient so far and assisted in any and all troubleshooting steps. We finally resolved a problem I was experiencing where my ping would spike into the 1000's randomly which actually did cause the internet to become unusable.. That is not an exaggeration either, my computer would actually disconnect from the internet entirely while the modem sorted itself out.. 

I'm tired of paying 50 quid a month for a service that works infrequently.. :/

I see you are in cork, I am also in cork and with eir. can't get more than 1mb since last night, this has happened on a number of occasions over the last few weeks- terrible service, also terrible customer service. I don't have a huge understanding from a technical point of view but surely if this issue is happening regularly for a lot of people then there is a fundamental problem with the service. I'm yet to see a satisfactory explanation from eir on this issue- they MUST be aware of these REGULAR issues
    Eir- please tell us why this is happening on a consistent basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Sounds like you're on ADSL2+.

If you're in Cork you could be both in a similar area being fed from the same exchange which might be experiencing a fault.

There are actually loads of exchanges, especially in high density areas like Cork City, so it's hard to generalise about a whole region.

Cork City has at least : Quaker Road, Churchfield, Dennehys Cross, Cork Central, Wellington Road, Hettyfield, Douglas & Mahon as well as several smaller ones like Cork Airport and there are a couple of small ones in the Wellington Road footprint on the Northside too. and all the suburban / commuter towns have their own exchanges.

So you'd really need to narrow it down with tech support or have a a chat with them on Twitter!! More public.

It could be a router has failed or a broken fibre/fibres that have educed capacity temporarily.

The VDSL2 (eir fibre) is a separate platform using different equipment too so there's no reason why one couldn't be up and the other down.

You've also got some rural areas where 1st generation ADSL can still be in use. that's actually a third network again!

Also the rep you spoke to is clearly selling you broadband in MG (milligrammes) - not surprising they weren't able to help.

I find tweeting them and including #Cork seems to get more of a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tonio

Also the rep you spoke to is clearly selling you broadband in MG (milligrammes) - not surprising they weren't able to help.

I find tweeting them and including #Cork seems to get more of a response.

I'm in east cork. Switched to Eir from Vodafone for free BT sport. Have VDSL. Never had one problem with speed with Vodafone. Like an earlier poster said there have been several slow downs over the past 2 months I would say. Including this afternoon. The speed slows to around 3Mb/s so almost impossible to stream anything. With up to 3 simultaneous streams required most of the time in my house I am very disappointed with these slowdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Same issue with me as well in Cork. A tracert to any website shows drops at the INEX2 router so there may be a fault.

• Advertisement

Can someone start posting traceroutes ? Might help drive point home ...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Speed is brutal down Mallow way since last night. My 50mbps line only running around 3 to 4 at best. Rang them and they told me there is a major outage problem in Cork..Engineers are working on it all day and should be back up some time tomorrow hopefully. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Im on efibre in Cork and im getting less than 1 mb/s. Its been really poor the last few days. From patchy to non existent.

Only last night it went completely for about 10 minutes. I was on hold waiting for an eir rep when it came back.

Im guessing this is a bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tonio

Gru wrote: »
    Im on efibre in Cork and im getting less than 1 mb/s. Its been really poor the last few days. From patchy to non existent.

Only last night it went completely for about 10 minutes. I was on hold waiting for an eir rep when it came back.

Im guessing this is a bigger issue.

Seems to be back up to speed again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Indeed it does. I checked twitter and they seemed busy enough taking queries on service issues. Apparently there was an outage in the Cork area that Eir were aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

[font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Guys,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm afraid we did have an issue in Cork over the weekend. This was due to a piece of cable been damaged however this has now been repaired & service should be restored to all customers affected. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Anyone that is still experiencing issues with their broadband can you reboot your modem.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Back at it again tonight.. Speed Tests are timing out before they complete.. Pages are taking an eternity to load.. 

Surely not another line break?? This is happening way too often.. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

tracert eir.ie

Tracing route to eir.ie [86.43.151.7]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    52 ms    48 ms    26 ms  95-44-68-1-dynamic.agg2.bnc.chf-qkr.eircom.net [95.44.68.1]
      3    50 ms    47 ms    56 ms  lag-26.pe1.qkr.chf-qkr.eircom.net [86.43.59.205]
      4     *       30 ms    57 ms  lag-9.core2.prp.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.114]
      5    54 ms    61 ms    53 ms  tenge-2-2-1.pe2.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.142]
      6    46 ms    35 ms    29 ms  86.43.242.86
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Seems like an outage to me... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Danger781 wrote: »
    tracert eir.ie

Tracing route to eir.ie [86.43.151.7]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.254
      2    52 ms    48 ms    26 ms  95-44-68-1-dynamic.agg2.bnc.chf-qkr.eircom.net [95.44.68.1]
      3    50 ms    47 ms    56 ms  lag-26.pe1.qkr.chf-qkr.eircom.net [86.43.59.205]
      4     *       30 ms    57 ms  lag-9.core2.prp.core.eircom.net [86.43.253.114]
      5    54 ms    61 ms    53 ms  tenge-2-2-1.pe2.crz.crz-crz.eircom.net [86.43.252.142]
      6    46 ms    35 ms    29 ms  86.43.242.86
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
    13     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Seems like an outage to me... 
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Danger781,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have contacted our technical team & they have advised there are no reported issues in Cork. I would recommend contacting the technical team & troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. You can contact them on 1890260260 or Freephone 1901 option 2. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]- Pamela [/font]

Advertisement