Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick mechanical question re cassette

Options
  • 03-12-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

Getting a direct drive turbo which has an 11speed cassette already on it. I've 10-speed cassette on the bike.
    Will I get away with simply popping my bike and 10-speed chain on and fire away or will I need to put a 10-speed on. I know it's not advanced mechanics to swap cassettes but I'm trying to avoid (anymore!) unecessary purchases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

I would say it'd be crunchy. But to confirm - why don't you quickly try a buddy's 11 gear rear wheel on your 10 gear bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

11 and 10 speed are not compatible. You will have to change the cassette on the turbo to a 10 speed, or buy a new 11 speed bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

07Lapierre wrote: »
    11 and 10 speed are not compatible. You will have to change the cassette on the turbo to a 10 speed, or buy a new 11 speed bike!

Thanks. In my simple mind I thought it might be ok somewhere in the middle of the block.
    So if it has an 11-speed now, then I need to put on a 10-speed and a spacer?
    Thanks
    (Would love to be able to justify new 11-speed bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Yes. That'll do it.
    10 speed cassette and spacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Doc07 wrote: »
    Thanks. In my simple mind I thought it might be ok somewhere in the middle of the block.
    So if it has an 11-speed now, then I need to put on a 10-speed and a spacer?
    Thanks
    (Would love to be able to justify new 11-speed bike)

If you find a sweet spot with one gear...that should be OK in theory, but if you want to change gears it will be messy. Your levers are designed to move in 10s increments, versus 11s ones.

Spacer and 10s cassette as mentioned, is the way to go. A 10s cassette is a lot cheaper than a new bike in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

10 speed chain may be too wide to run between the 11 speed cassette chainrings. As above get a 10 speed fitted on the turbo!

Advertisement