Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting behaviour

Options
  • 03-12-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Drove along the R403 yesterday morning and from Barberstown Castle roundabout to Celbridge was like a bomb site. The amount of rubbish that was thrown onto the road was shameful.

I drove to Celbridge Garda Station to report it, but it was closed. There was a number on the door for Leixlip, and I reported it. I believe the CC were out later yesterday cleaning the scene. I only hope the scum bag who did this made a mistake and left some form of ID in one of the many bags.

Truly disgraceful actions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭L1011

AGS are not the correct body to report littering to. Council litter wardens can prosecute:

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Environment/LitterandGraffiti/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »
    AGS are not the correct body to report littering to. Council litter wardens can prosecute:

With due respect, I drove by the road at 06h30 yesterday morning. Nowhere on the site You show says if it's a 24/7 phone number.

Also, I spoke to a guy in Leixlip yesterday morning, and told Him what I saw. He told me His missus saw a complaint on FB at 22h30 the previous night, so not sure anyone contacted these litter wardens then either. I don't know if You saw the bags & bags of garbage strewn all over the place, but for me, it was certainly the worst I have ever seen. They didn't even have the decency and throw it into the ditches, nah just f**ked all over the road waiting for vehicles to come along and drag it further and do more environmental damage.

Thanks for furnishing the site with the phone #'s though.

It doesn't really matter if KCCs number is 24h or not - the Guards are not the right place to report to.

It doesn't really matter if KCCs number is 24h or not - the Guards are not the right place to report to.

So, what are you saying I should have done at that time of morning? Ignore it?

FYI, when I reported to the Gardaí, they took my name & contact # and thanked me for reporting it. Nowhere did they tell me to do as you say here.

I really don't know where you are coming from, but am not getting into an argument over who I should/not have reported it to.

Going to bed GN

Wait and contact KCC later if required. We are already hideously short of gardai without them doing council work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

FYI, when I reported to the Gardaí, they took my name & contact # and thanked me for reporting it. Nowhere did they tell me to do as you say here.

I really don't know where you are coming from, but am not getting into an argument over who I should/not have reported it to.

Going to bed GN

Fair play to you for reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Going to bed GN

Fair play for reporting it. Ignore the pedants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

IMO Gardai were the correct people to report it to at that time as it could have become a traffic hazard.

The gardai would also have contact numbers for council in emergency to get a priority on it as they were probably able to spin out and look at how bad it was and the cuncil would accept a garda's word that it was amajor incident.

Also a major dumping incident could be prosecuted under criminal law and the gardai alos hve the power to issue on the spot fines under the 1997 litter act.

So well done OP - 100% correct procedure

From citizens information.ie
    "Report it to the 24-hour National Environmental Complaints Line. Details of the complaint will be passed to the local authority, the Garda Síochána or the Environmental Protection Agency, as appropriate."

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fair play for reporting it. Ignore the pedants.

One wonders why people bother doing the 'right' thing, when you have these know alls rocking up here and telling you You did wrong.

I don't know who else saw the mound of rubbish, but IMHO it was a hazard ( who knows what was inside the bags? ).

If I come across it again, I'll do the exact same thing, and let the pedants rant away thinking they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Thanks DA & PM for Your kind words. And Walter 2016 also.

The Gardai informed the council - that's all

In future, use the correct method of reporting it now that you are aware of it. Involving the Gardai is wilfully wasting their time when you know the correct way to report it. You didn't know the first time, but you do for the future.

Calling people "pedants" and fishing for sympathy for being told the correct way to do something is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

You're not the moderator of the world. OP did the right thing imo.

You're not the moderator of the world. OP did the right thing imo.

I'm not a moderator on this forum either

The OP did what they thought was correct at the time - that's not in question here. They have been told what is correct to do in the future and have gone in to a huff about it despite the fact its actually significantly easier than performing a wild garda chase at 6:30 in the morning.

AGS would have informed the council - and nothing more.

The Gardai informed the council - that's all

In future, use the correct method of reporting it now that you are aware of it. Involving the Gardai is wilfully wasting their time when you know the correct way to report it. You didn't know the first time, but you do for the future.

Calling people "pedants" and fishing for sympathy for being told the correct way to do something is pathetic.

No offence, but WHO are you to tell me how to go and do my civic duty?

I really think you are overstepping your authority here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The OP did what they thought was correct at the time - that's not in question here. They have been told what is correct to do in the future and have gone in to a huff about it despite the fact its actually significantly easier than performing a wild garda chase at 6:30 in the morning.

So how is it a waste of Garda's time then? They receive a phone call, and then make a phone call. Big deal. How do you envisage a 'wild Garda chase' as a result of reporting rubbish all over the road?

I don't have any authority here

I provieded you with an easier way to do something that also doesn't waste Garda time - something Kildare has the least of in the entire country.

If you want to waste both your own and Garda time, go ahead...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

L1011 wrote:

That wasn't a condescending reply at all !!

pablo128 wrote: »
    So how is it a waste of Garda's time then? They receive a phone call, and then make a phone call. Big deal. How do you envisage a 'wild Garda chase' as a result of reporting rubbish all over the road?

Do they take and make that call without using any time? Quantum policing, fantastic.

The OP had trouble finding a Garda station open to report to - including actually going to visit a physical station! It will vastly save them time in the future to use the correct phone number.

They appear to be abnormally upset with being given information on how to save their own time.

FYI, You are only half right. Yes, the Gardaí did contact KCC, but the Gardaí also sent out a squad car.

And what gives you the right to say this was a wild goose chase? I saw the mounds of rubbish, I witnessed a bus dragging one of the bags on its undercarriage in the Clane direction. So, please don't think you are right and I am wrong. As I said above, if I come across the situation again, I'll do exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Ignore that poster. Someone's on a superiority kick and is being pretty condescending about it.

There are a number of people in the world who will tell you how to do everything despite never having done anything themselves.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ignore that poster. Someone's on a superiority kick and is being pretty condescending about it.

There are a number of people in the world who will tell you how to do everything despite never having done anything themselves.

Telling somehow how to save their own and the limited policing resources time is not being condescending

I have reported littering multiple times - to the correct people. Its not a difficult thing to find out and certainly easier than driving all over North Kildare at 6:30am

Why there is such opposition to doing something far easier and less wasteful I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Do they take and make that call without using any time? Quantum policing, fantastic.

The OP had trouble finding a Garda station open to report to - including actually going to visit a physical station! It will vastly save them time in the future to use the correct phone number.

They appear to be abnormally upset with being given information on how to save their own time.

I'm not asking about the OP. I'm asking how would a report of rubbish strewn about the road result in a wild Garda chase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

You are wrong. The Gardai can and do prosecute under the 1997 Litter Pollution Act as amended as well as Litter Wardens.

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Koscielny

Littering and/or commercial dumping are criminal offences, the OP was correct in reporting this to AGS.

People love to be contradictory for the sake of it.

Donal55 wrote: »
    You are wrong. The Gardai can and do prosecute under the 1997 Litter Pollution Act as amended as well as Litter Wardens.

I didn't say they can't.

The reality is that the council handled the cleanup and will handle any prosecutions.
    Koscielny wrote: »
    Littering and/or commercial dumping are criminal offences, the OP was correct in reporting this to AGS.

People love to be contradictory for the sake of it.

The majority of the posters in this thread are being contradictory for the sake of it

It is quicker, easier and more direct to report to the council.

The OP has, for whatever reason, decided they want to go about it the long way. Not much more to be said there but repeated back-slapping posts and reinforcement of doing it the long way seems to be the way of the thread now.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    I'm not asking about the OP. I'm asking how would a report of rubbish strewn about the road result in a wild Garda chase?

The OP *went* on a wild Garda chase - trying to find one to report to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I didn't say they can't.

The reality is that the council handled the cleanup and will handle any prosecutions.

The majority of the posters in this thread are being contradictory for the sake of it

It is quicker, easier and more direct to report to the council.

Everybody understands your point, nobody is interested.

Telling somehow how to save their own and the limited policing resources time is not being condescending

I have reported littering multiple times - to the correct people. Its not a difficult thing to find out and certainly easier than driving all over North Kildare at 6:30am

Why there is such opposition to doing something far easier and less wasteful I have no idea.

You really are making wild assumptions here. You say I am fishing for sympathy? ALL i did by reporting the incident was a) prevenbting a possible acciden & b) hopefully the scumbag who tossed out the rubbish left some form of ID leading to prosecution. You also say I caused the Gardaí to go on a 'wild goose chase' How? I gave them the exact location, what's a goose chase about that? I drove in from the roundabout, drove into the Garda station park in Celbridge, saw the notice in the window, and phoned the number mentioned. Whats goose chasing about that?

Beginning to wonder why I bothered at all.

YOU went on the wild goose chase.

There is an awful lot of replying without reading thoroughly going on here.

All that my initial posts that you took issue to was intended to do was let you know how to save time for yourself and others in future. I still don't know why you took issue with it in the manner you did.

I'm out - there's nothing to be achieved here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

L1011 wrote:

First you told the OP he went the wrong way about it , then you told him he went the long way about it . In between you gave him some condescension, lecturing and patronising responses. You're implying that he should have done things according to your way of thinking . Others here picked you up on it and now you're saying people aren't thinking through their replies.

YOU went on the wild goose chase.

All that my initial post that you took issue to was intended to do was let you know how to save time for yourself and others in future. I still don't know why you took issue with it in the manner you did.

Read my original post. I only went to one Garda Station, then phoned another. Also this matter ( I was told ) was on FB at 22h30 the previous night ( I only found out this after contacting the Gardaí ). Also, knowing where a Garda Station is is much quicker at 06h30 than trying to find someone in KCC to (hopefully ) answer a phone.

I am NOT looking for sympathy, I NEVER went on any wild goose chase.

I only reported this to highlight an ongoing problem throughout the country ( I believe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Must be great knowing something about everything.

Fair play to the OP. With some luck, the offender will be prosecuted.

Advertisement