Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting behaviour

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Imagine... if all the time spent here reprimanding the OP went into something actually productive. Imagine... what could be accomplished with all that mental processing and research and typing.

Imagine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46 Rhaegal

L1011 it was a road safety hazard.

wtf is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

L1011 wrote: »
    AGS are not the correct body to report littering to. Council litter wardens can prosecute:

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Environment/LitterandGraffiti/

^^ This is wrong.

As littering is a criminal offence, the OP should be commended for doing his civic duty.

It is never a waste of AGS resources to report a criminal offence.

In this case, it wasn't a simple case of an ice-cream wrapper dumped on a footpath. The amount and location of this rubbish could have caused a hazard to road-users.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perhaps folks have forgotten that you do have a option to simply not reply to something you read and don't like. It might be a wise choice for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I'm not a mod on this forum either, but wow : take a deep breath the lot of you!

You can call your local Garda station for advice on pretty much any matter of criminal law / public order. A major incident of illegal dumping is a criminal matter and can be reported to either the local authority or the local Garda station. It is not a waste of police time and is part of local / community policing duties in corporation with the local authority litter wardens.

Obviously calling 112 or 999 would be utterly ridiculous and the OP hasn't done anything like that.

I used the Say it See it app myself once and got a response back more than a year later about the item I reported, so I wouldn't really be bothered using it again and the national helpline for environmental complaints is extremely poorly advertised.

It just shows the reason we need a non-emergency number as an alternative to 112 or 999

The UK for example uses 101 for these kinds of things. We could easily do something similar (perhaps there's a harmonised alternative for the whole EU one of those 116 XXX numbers that we should be looking at setting up?).

If they want to reduce the number of spurious calls to Garda station local numbers, they need to provide an alternative simple way of getting directed to the appropriate public service. Something like 101 works very well for this.

It's not the OP's fault or the public in general that there is no obvious non emergency phone number to report litter offences.

It's often the case that you could be driving along somewhere and not even know what local authority is responsible. I remember trying to report something in Dublin and not knowing which local authority to report it to and just gave up as Dublin City Council wouldn't take the report as it was possibly in Fingal's area and I couldn't find a number for Fingal, so I just ditched the report and left it for someone to spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I'm not a mod on this forum either, but wow : take a deep breath the lot of you!

Obviously calling 112 or 999 would be utterly ridiculous and the OP hasn't done anything like that.

I used the Say it See it app myself once and got a response back more than a year later about the item I reported, so I wouldn't really be bothered using it again and the national helpline for environmental complaints is extremely poorly advertised.

It just shows the reason we need a non-emergency number as an alternative to 112 or 999

The UK for example uses 101 for these kinds of things. We could easily do something similar (perhaps there's a harmonised alternative for the whole EU one of those 116 XXX numbers that we should be looking at setting up?).

If they want to reduce the number of spurious calls to Garda station local numbers, they need to provide an alternative simple way of getting directed to the appropriate public service. Something like 101 works very well for this.

It's not the OP's fault or the public in general that there is no obvious non emergency phone number to report litter offences.

Thanks so much GF2 for highlighting this 'easy-to-remember #' scenario. A few years ago I was driving SB on the M50 and between J7 & J9 I came across a doubled sized mattress lying in the middle lane - an accident just waiting to happen. I rang 999 as it is the only # easily remembered and I was conscious of the consequences if that was left there. They never said a word of complaint about why I rang that # but it would be nice and convenient for all concerned if Your suggestion could be followed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

OP did the correct thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Telling somehow how to save their own and the limited policing resources time is not being condescending

I have reported littering multiple times - to the correct people. Its not a difficult thing to find out and certainly easier than driving all over North Kildare at 6:30am

Why there is such opposition to doing something far easier and less wasteful I have no idea.
    I suppose the gardai should not have got involved with kerdifstown, i suppose the gardai should have their powers of issuing litter fines taken away, i suppose the environmental agency should not call the gardai in cases of severe littering.

You do know that the collection and dumping of waste without a licence is a CRIMINAL offence.

The council cannot prosecute or investigate CRIMINAL offences. That is the job of the gardai.

If a bag or two of rubbish has been left, then the environment agency or council are the ones to call. As the dumping of a large amount of waste is covered by criminal law, the gardai are the ones to call.

So the OP was 100% correct whether it was 6.30am on Saturday or 3pm on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

AGS are not the correct body to report littering to. Council litter wardens can prosecute:

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Environment/LitterandGraffiti/

Gardai can issue litter fines, so the OP did nothing wrong. That they choose not to is another discussion....

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Op, I also drove the road that morning. It's was horrendous!! Someone was either being a complete p*ick doing that or possibly an issue with a rubbish collection truck? It really was bad a huge hazard - not just a few bags in a ditch but ar least 30 or more bags down the middle of the road. But, as I was driving straight to childcare I then forgot about it so I didn't report it, but at that hour of the morning, I would have rang the gardai too!! Can't imagine there'd be enough staff in the council at that hour to take the call!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

ChewChew wrote: »
    Op, I also drove the road that morning. It's was horrendous!! Someone was either being a complete p*ick doing that or possibly an issue with a rubbish collection truck? It really was bad a huge hazard - not just a few bags in a ditch but ar least 30 or more bags down the middle of the road. But, as I was driving straight to childcare I then forgot about it so I didn't report it, but at that hour of the morning, I would have rang the gardai too!! Can't imagine there'd be enough staff in the council at that hour to take the call!!

Thanks ChewChew. At last someone else saw the scene, I was beginning to wonder was I imagining it LOL

As I have said before, I'm not looking for any medals for doing what I would think & expect is ANY decent Humans duty - I only hope whoever discarded that amount of trash slipped up and left some form of ID in the garbage. Fingers X'd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The OP did the right thing, the dumping was also a health and safety issue and could have caused an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

If I was psychology student I'd be in heaven looking at this thread. What a fine example of people getting so easily riled up over nothing. Chill out people, use cop on

If the rubbish was a few small bags, yea fine go about reporting it like how L1011 said. Who cares that he comes across as arrogant, its got nothing to do with it. I don't agree with reporting it to guards if it was only a few bags though... Reminds me of a girl who rang 999 over her eggs going missing!

If the rubbish was a blatant danger, which it sounds like it was in this instance, report it to guards for sure! No doubt in my mind that was the correct decision in this case.

Nothing wrong with both ways depending on how much rubbish there is, just some people on both sides of the discussion have a chip on their shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Won't somebody please just give the OP the gold star they are craving.

They reported litter on the road.

Regardless if it was reported to the LA or to AGS, it was litter.

I've reported a dead cow that was discovered on the road in the dead of night that was also a traffic hazard, but didn't feel the need to share it with the interweb (until now).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Also you don't need to drive around looking for an open garda station. The north Kildare divisional HQ is Leixlip on 01 6667800, and it's open 24/7. Most of (or all) the rest are part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

WestWing wrote: »
    Won't somebody please just give the OP the gold star they are craving.

They reported litter on the road.

Regardless if it was reported to the LA or to AGS, it was litter.

I've reported a dead cow that was discovered on the road in the dead of night that was also a traffic hazard, but didn't feel the need to share it with the interweb (until now).

Awareness is an important ingredient in an effort to combat this type of dumping and it's better to share.

Advertisement