Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a starter camera for astrophotographyy

Options
  • 03-12-2016 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi ,

have been following this forum for a while , having been fascinated with astronomy for years and always wanted to give astrophotography ago ( allinthehead's thread is excellent!).

have looked online for recommendations for a decent starter camera I'm a bit overwhelmed to be honest :) Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

It depends on what type of astrophotography you wish to do :)

If its widefield Milky Way, then a 50mm lens and a DSLR is all you need to get started.

If you want to involve a scope, or if you already have one, you will need a good motorised Equatorial Mount, preferably goto, to take the weight of your desired scope and camera.

Do you currently have a scope or mount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Hi Kersh, thanks for the reply.

No dont have a scope or a mount :)

I was looking at this Nikon camera..has been recommended on a few site sand is just about in my price range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D5300-Digital-18-55mm-Compact/dp/B00I3M6BVY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481323080&sr=1-4&keywords=nikon+d5300

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

For basic widefield shots, on a tripod, that will be grand. If you get a 14mm, or 24mm fixed lens, it would be better again. But, as its a fixed tripod, exposure lengths will be quite short, under 25s to 30s depending on the lens.

The next step up is a small mount, such as the Star Adventurer by Skywatcher, or Skytracker by iOptron will allow you to do tracking shots with the camera, thus yielding much better results. This is often a nice stepping stone to deeper sky stuff, as a Star Adventurer will support a small scope up to 70mm/80mm, which you can attach the camera to with the appropriate adaptors.

When you want to move on then, to get proper long exposure deep sky nebulae/galaxies etc, that camera will serve you well with a suitable telescope and tracking equatorial mount, such as Skywatcher EQ5 Pro/HEQ5 Pro or Celestron AVX or CGEM II.

Its a huge field of interest, and there are many options. :)

Kersh wrote: »
    Its a huge field of interest, and there are many options. :)

Tell me about it :) Got swamped just looking into it.

Again thanks Kersh for the input...I'll probably post some pics up at somestage once I'm pass the NoOb stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Put up your noob pictures as well for those of us at the pre-noob stage to give us something to aim for!

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Put up your noob pictures as well for those of us at the pre-noob stage to give us something to aim for!

Depends how bad they are ! :pac:
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Hi SkinnyBuddha what about a second hand astro modified camera? Something like this.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/270089-reduced-%C2%A3250-inc-postage-astro-modded-canon-100d-and-clip-filter-and-yongnuo-50mm-lens/

Regarding mounts kersh has given sound advice. Maybe worth starting with a cheap tripod( army surplus store $20) aim at moon and see if you get hooked. A word of warning, it's an expensive, at times frustrating, stupid hobby to get into in Ireland given the amount of cloud we get but it's also an extremely rewarding one, which has put many a smile on my face over the last year.

☀️

Advertisement