Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Kilcock become more attractive to live in with the rail fare cuts?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

n97 mini wrote: »
    The definition of urban sprawl: The housing needs of a city are spreading into rural land. Development on green field sites in Kildare is being driven by the needs of Dublin. There are probably less people working in Kilcock itself than there were 20 years ago.

Even the OP's question is premised on the fact that cheaper rail fares will be more attractive for getting to.... Dublin.

And what is it called when the housing needs of the town aren't met due to the towns expanding population? See Leixlip, Cellbridge and Maynooth when Intel moved to Leixlip. Not saying this is what's happening in Kilcock but to just whinge about one issue when it is not the only thing taking place is inaccurate.

Kilcocks population is expanding. More people have grown up there, I'm guessing alot of them might want to continue to live there. Houses are needed. Amenities are needed.

Also are you calling it urban sprawl that people who can't afford to live in Maynooth/Cellbridge/Naas have to settle for Kilcock? Because if you're talking about Dublin - i'm done.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    1798 the British burned Kilcock.

Just Kilcock was it? Is it them back now snapping up all the houses?
    Also 1798 - move on pal, way too much living in the past. Know your history, but don't be ruled by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

kidneyfan wrote: »
    The Pale ditch ran through what's now Kilcock

Off-topic but do you know it's route or have a map? The only bit of it I know in existence is in and around Clongowes College

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, remember you can differ in opinions..but it does not give you permission to name call. If you can't keep it civil, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Anyway......back on topic time will tell. I'm delighted personally about the rail fare cuts as I intend renting my house out in a few years and it make the area more popular for commuters. I can see Super Valu & Clearys Hardware having to put up a barrier or something to stop people parking in their car parks and going to work as even at the moment their is no spare parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lordgoat wrote: »
    And what is it called when the housing needs of the town aren't met due to the towns expanding population? See Leixlip, Cellbridge and Maynooth when Intel moved to Leixlip. Not saying this is what's happening in Kilcock but to just whinge about one issue when it is not the only thing taking place is inaccurate.

Kilcocks population is expanding. More people have grown up there, I'm guessing alot of them might want to continue to live there. Houses are needed. Amenities are needed.

Also are you calling it urban sprawl that people who can't afford to live in Maynooth/Cellbridge/Naas have to settle for Kilcock? Because if you're talking about Dublin - i'm done.

To express a (well founded) opinion is to whinge?

Amenities are needed across North Kildare, but let's park that.

The Liffey Champion reports that KCC in their wisdom have plans for over 3,000 new houses (the majority of which will be more 3-bed semis) in Leixlip. 2,000 of them are on the other side of Cope Bridge in Confey. Do you think all these houses will be bought by locals who want to stay local? Or do you think it's possible a significant proportion will be bought by people who have no connection to the area and are (like a lot of others) working in Dublin?

Leixlip, Kilcock and places even beyond Longford are dormitory towns. People working in Dublin but sleeping in another county.

BTW, Celbridge has one L, not two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

An application has been submitted to build 450 houses with an entrance near kilcock GAA. It's going to be a nightmare getting out of Royal Meadows estate if this gets the go ahead......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

An application has been submitted to build 450 houses with an entrance near kilcock GAA. It's going to be a nightmare getting out of Royal Meadows estate if this gets the go ahead......

Wow that's a lot of houses for the size of the town, any link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

liam7831 wrote: »
    Wow that's a lot of houses for the size of the town, any link ?

161345 is the planning application number.
    Taken from it:
    The development will consist of 450 no. residential units comprising of 54 no. 'Type A' 4 bed house of 169.1m2 (16 detached and 38 semi-detached); 83 no. 'Type B1' optional 2 or 2.5 storey, 3 or 4 bed houses of 111.7 or 147.4m2 (5 detached, 70 semi-detached and 8 end of terrace); 54 no. 'Type B3' optional 2 or 2.5 storey, 3 or 4 bed houses of 110.8m or 147.4m2 m (2 detached, 44 semi-detached and 8 end of terrace); 49 no. 'Type C' 2 storey, 3 bed semi-detached houses of 107.1m2; 43 'Type C1' 2 storey 3 bed semi-detached houses of 111.9m2; 14 no. 'Type D' 2 storey, 3 bed mid-terrace houses of 101.4m2; 14 no. 'Type E' 2 storey, 2 bed mid-terrace houses of 89.2m2; 24 no. 'Type F' 2 storey, 3 bed houses of 102.6m2 (2 semi-detached, 22 end of terrace); 11 no. 'Type G' 2 storey, 3 bed mid-terrace houses of 93.1m2; 11 no. 'Type H' 2 storey, 2 bed mid-terrace houses of 80.4m2; 1 no. two storey crèche with floor area of 569m2; a 230m long boulevard/link road along the northern boundary of GAA lands linking to Penwell Lodge that connects to Molly Ware St; and ancillary site development work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

What a shame, what a waste of land. And there are at least that many empty houses in Trim, Longwood, Enfield and Dunshaughlin. All bigger towns with better amenities and infrastructure. Its like Bertie never left the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭YellowLead

With the rail commute becoming cheaper, Kilcock could become more attractive for students to live in attending NUI Maynooth. Maynooth cannot keep up the demand for student accommodation, and if Kilcock could become more accessible for students it would help ease the pressure. They could rent much more cheaply there. Not sure how many are living there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

YellowLead wrote: »
    With the rail commute becoming cheaper, Kilcock could become more attractive for students to live in attending NUI Maynooth. Maynooth cannot keep up the demand for student accommodation, and if Kilcock could become more accessible for students it would help ease the pressure. They could rent much more cheaply there. Not sure how many are living there at the moment.
    The public transport between the two is quite irregular and delays to the service are common as two tracks become one just after Maynooth.

Celbridge would have better transport if the "regularity" of the 67 was taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

kidneyfan wrote:
    1798 the Dubs burned Kilcock.

Lol

Advertisement