Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy: Remastered

Options
  • 03-12-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

First trailer...

When it was first announced, I was giddy but seeing it now, it just seems off somehow. Crash's model especially. Dunno.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Looks like I'm off to buy a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Emulators sonics?

Needless imo, no one I know misses the Crash series, the first game is fairly poor anyways, as is the third.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The third was the best of them, pity they didn't inside Crash Team Racing as well.
    The first one is fun but very limited, certainly not in the same class as Mario 64, and none of the Crash titles are as interesting as Banjo Kazooie, also on the N64.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Emulators sonics?

Needless imo, no one I know misses the Crash series, the first game is fairly poor anyways, as is the third.

Meh, there's a few decent looking games coming out for the PS4 over the next year, namely this and FFVII. My PS3 from release is dying quickly and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Also DS, pretty sure that's blasphemy. Crash games were brilliant fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Meh, there's a few decent looking games coming out for the PS4 over the next year, namely this and FFVII. My PS3 from release is dying quickly and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Also DS, pretty sure that's blasphemy. Crash games were brilliant fun.

You'll have Bloodborne too!

I think they're fun but they really aren't great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You'll have Bloodborne too!

I think they're fun but they really aren't great

Yeah , a lot of these companies are going for nostalgia value as opposed to working on new IPs.
    I don't think there's ever been a few year (prob the last 3) with the same amount of remasters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a good move remastering these games and I'm guessing it cost Sony an absolute fortune to get the license for it. The majority of people playing games now grew up with Crash.

The only problem is the Crash games were never that good. They're decent and perfectly playable but compared to the likes of the better platformers like the sonic and Marios of the world they are really lacking. Even on the PS1 they were outclassed by the likes of Tomba and Klonoa. Crash just got their first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

never played any Crash title, at the time I was far too busy playing Super Mario World on the SNES and later on Mario 64. Might give these remaster's a shot when they released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Spyro(original trilogy) would have benefitted from e remaster better than this. It'd suit the more open-worldness of it.

The bits where it wiped from old to new visuals didn't always look better after the wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'd only play it to ride the polar bear, those levels cracked me up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a good move remastering these games and I'm guessing it cost Sony an absolute fortune to get the license for it. The majority of people playing games now grew up with Crash.
    They didn't need to get the licence for it, the trilogy is being published by Activision and developed in-house by Vicarious Visions. The publisher owns the licence through its merger with Vivendi and their previous merger with Universal back in 2000. I'm pretty sure the Spyro licence is in the same boat as Insomniac and Naughty Dog were originally on the same Universal lot and made similar deals with the company in their early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doubt it, more likely Sony and Activision testing the waters. Even if people were shouting and cheering at events it's not guaranteed to sell any way decently.

They spent as little as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It might have been easy to get activision on board but Universal own the rights to the crash character. I'd say the delay in getting a crash remake has been negotiations with universal up until this point. I doubt they let Sony have it for cheap. Whatever you can say about the original games quality this is going to be a massive seller to the now grown up generation that started with crash ( I feel so sorry for them :P )

It might have been easy to get activision on board but Universal own the rights to the crash character. I'd say the delay in getting a crash remake has been negotiations with universal up until this point. I doubt they let Sony have it for cheap. Whatever you can say about the original games quality this is going to be a massive seller to the now grown up generation that started with crash ( I feel so sorry for them :P )
    Nope, as I said above, Universal owned the rights until they merged with Vivendi in 2003, becoming Vivendi Universal Games. Then in 2007 Vivendi Games merged with Activision at which point the licences were absorbed into the publishing label of the newly formed Activision Blizzard, where they have remained.

There's definitely still a relationship with Sony though as Skylanders did see the Crash related content have a period of exclusivity on the Sony platforms for a month or so with the Crash Starter Pack.

If Gizmo stuff wasn't enough.

https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/729198412592078848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

That's me told!

That's me told!
    Heh, it was all new to me too except I was more surprised Sony themselves didn't own the licence given its association with the Playstation brand. Evidently all the faffing about with the Crash licence between Naughty Dog and Universal was what led Sony to eventually buy the studio outright so that they wouldn't be in the same situation again with Jak & Daxter down the line. Worked out kinda well for them in the long run I think. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've seen some people online complaining about how Crash himself looks.

What the hell do they expect him to look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Penn wrote: »

PS4 should be able to render him better!

big-eared-bandicoot-jpg.170551

gizmo wrote: »
    Heh, it was all new to me too except I was more surprised Sony themselves didn't own the licence given its association with the Playstation brand. Evidently all the faffing about with the Crash licence between Naughty Dog and Universal was what led Sony to eventually buy the studio outright so that they wouldn't be in the same situation again with Jak & Daxter down the line. Worked out kinda well for them in the long run I think. :p

Strange to see their humble beginnings because before crash they made nothing but absolutely crap. Say what I will about the quality of the game crash was a technical marvel on the ps1.

• Advertisement

Strange to see their humble beginnings because before crash they made nothing but absolutely crap. Say what I will about the quality of the game crash was a technical marvel on the ps1.
    Yup and made all the more impressive when you consider there were only two programmers on the game. Hell, this bug still makes me shudder every time I read about it. :o

There was a good retrogames article with the coders. It's one of the few ps1 games that use high res mode and yet it gives a pretty solid 30 fps despite the use of a lot of texture maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Penn wrote: »

Like the skylanders Crash TBH. I was very put off by that trailer. It looks good tbf, but I won't be buying it.

There was a good retrogames article with the coders. It's one of the few ps1 games that use high res mode and yet it gives a pretty solid 30 fps despite the use of a lot of texture maps.
    Oh, got a link? Not familiar with the site at all and wouldn't mind giving that a read.

It was in the retrogamer magazine (stupid autocorrect) don't think it's one of their free articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Really looknig forward to this. Sure, the games weren't great themselves, but even for the nostalgia alone I'll be getting this on release. Hopefully if it's successful we see CTR following.
    gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Spyro(original trilogy) would have benefitted from e remaster better than this. It'd suit the more open-worldness of it.

Happier seeing Crash, but as above with CTR, hopefully if this is successful we see a re-master foe the first couple of Spyro games. Would love to play Gateway to Glimmer again.

Can't remember who it was but there was an article with a quote from another developer (not related to ND) speaking about his thoughts when crash was shown first for the PS1 and how their use of polygons completely outclassed the contemporary approach they were using at the time.

They used a mix of textured and Gouraud shading to reduce memory usage so they could get High res working at a decent framerate. They also heavily used the Playstation's ability to stream data while the game was playing which wasn't typical for the time (The PS1 had a terrible CD drive but he streaming ability gave it a massive advantage over the likes of the Saturn with it's much faster drive for large open games and even later on managing to outclass the Saturn in load times in many cases).

Their animation was excellent as well, deforming the polygons rather than using key frame jerky animation. Naughty Dog at the moment are pretty much the best in the business at animation, I'd go so far to say they outclass most Hollywood CGI work considering their animation in game can't be situation specific and employs extremely clever AI routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

gooch2k9 wrote: »

The bits where it wiped from old to new visuals didn't always look better after the wipe.

Now that's a remaster I could get behind,
    Or a Jak & Daxter one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Released in 9 days.

Any hype or interest in this at all?

Advertisement