Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy: Remastered

Options

Comments

• Penn wrote: »
    Just the fact it's such an arbitrary item to give away with it. Sure, Crash spins, the spinner spins. But they're not Crash-themed spinners. They're not linked to the game in any way, and to me anyway really just seems like GS took in a load of fidget spinners and now that they're sold everywhere and everyone is bored of them, GS are now just linking them to the nearest deal for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Seems like a moan about nothing if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Seems like a moan about nothing if you ask me!

Don't think anyone's having a moan as such, just pointing out it's a strange and largely pointless promotion. Then again I think the same can be said of most of GameStop's promotions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Gamespot gave it a 6. Say's it hasn't aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

8.5 from IGN
    I didn’t want the Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy to break what wasn’t broken. Thankfully, Vicarious Visions clearly didn’t want to either, and the studio’s reverence for the original maddening yet rewarding challenges that have stood the test of time is clearly on display. On one hand, that leads to the frustrating limitations of the original Crash Bandicoot persisting 20 years later. But it also results in the incredible visual and aural overhaul and the gameplay tweaks to earlier entries, like time trials and crate counters, that Naughty Dog added later in the series. Those additions make the overall package so much more cohesive while never forgetting what made, and what still makes, so much of Naughty Dog’s original.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This line alone from the Gamespot review makes me completely disregard it...
    Enemies rarely react to you, preferring instead to follow pre-determined paths and animation loops. And many obstacles are needlessly discouraging; Razor-thin tolerances for success and one-hit deaths make for a frustrating pairing.

Maybe they've got an 18 year old on work experience or something but you'd think they'd use a writer who remembers the originals. As someone on Reddit said, that's what the enemies were, obstacles for you while spinning and dashing through the level. Not advanced AI who can read your moves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Digital Foundry did a good video on the game. It disappointingly runs at 30 FPS but I can live with that. They also fixed up the dodgy controls in the first crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's sitting at a very respectable 81 on Metacritic.

Hope my copy from TGC is waiting for me at home. Am looking forward to giving it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    This line alone from the Gamespot review makes me completely disregard it...

Maybe they've got an 18 year old on work experience or something but you'd think they'd use a writer who remembers the originals. As someone on Reddit said, that's what the enemies were, obstacles for you while spinning and dashing through the level. Not advanced AI who can read your moves.

Yeah it really seems overly harsh. Ultimately, it's a remaster, not a remake. It was never their intention to fix issues the games had, but rather to polish the games up and largely just present them as they were, warts and all (with a few quality of life upgrades which don't affect gameplay).

Had they changed the enemy AI, it would have completely ruined the feel of the game, as it wasn't designed with that in mind way back when. I don't see how they feel they can knock the score down on that.

Plus, the games are challenging, but not overly difficult. I'd say most who played them at the time at a much younger age completed the vast majority of the games (maybe not 100%+ in all cases but the main levels anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads would ya get this anywhere in limerick sold out in argos and gamestops

And smyths ��

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Lads would ya get this anywhere in limerick sold out in argos and gamestops

Got it from Smyths myself, but you could chance Cex or Tesco

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This game is a great reminder that Crash was never that great. It looks gorgeous, cgi film levels of gorgeous but coming from a lot of playing a lot of retro platforms, indie stuff and nintendo games recently the 30 fps is very noticeable and distracting. Not a deal breaker but it's noticeable. I'd say it's to do with the original logic tied to framerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Played Crash 1 for the first time for about two hours this morning. Tbh I find some of the jumps unrealistic and I ended up getting very frustrated and switched to Warped. Warped looks magnificent, it's really well made - fair play to Vicarious Visions. Keep an eye out for Dino Might, the changes are top notch. Completely blitzed through the crystals, found it very easy, though I knew the original inside out.

Getting horrendous lag in the controls which is putting off my timing (beat the original a few weeks ago). Pretty sure it's the ****ty TV in the living room so I'll try it on my monitor later. Word of warning then, play it on a decent TV.

All the talk about the analogue controls being so much better... I'm finding the digital pad way better.

Got it in Harvey Normans :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just got thr last in cork !!!.

Was in Dublin today everywhere sold out madness :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This game is a great reminder that Crash was never that great. It looks gorgeous, cgi film levels of gorgeous but coming from a lot of playing a lot of retro platforms, indie stuff and nintendo games recently the 30 fps is very noticeable and distracting. Not a deal breaker but it's noticeable. I'd say it's to do with the original logic tied to framerate.
    Never played the originals but have them sitting gathering e-dust on PSN. Is it worth sticking with those and playing them first or should I just skip them and play the Remastered trilogy at some point in the future?

gizmo wrote: »
    Never played the originals but have them sitting gathering e-dust on PSN. Is it worth sticking with those and playing them first or should I just skip them and play the Remastered trilogy at some point in the future?

I say get the trilogy. The price is a bargain and they look great. They also fixed up the control issues witht the first game making it much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Bought on PSN USA and downloading now. Can't bloody wait!

• Advertisement

Also forgot to add if you got them from the European PSN then they are 50 hz dirt and are slowed down and run at 25 fps. In that case then this trilogy is the only way to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Also forgot to add if you got them from the European PSN then they are 50 hz dirt and are slowed down and run at 25 fps. In that case then this trilogy is the only way to play them.

Never ever found issues with the old school crash games to me they where perfect.

The 1st on that came out on the ps2 I still don't even think was that bad as well once ypu got over thr load times I ended up picking up the Xbox copy years later and it was so much better on it as no load times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just picked it up from the PM, probably going to go to the to play pile though for the time being.

Never ever found issues with the old school crash games to me they where perfect.

The 1st on that came out on the ps2 I still don't even think was that bad as well once ypu got over thr load times I ended up picking up the Xbox copy years later and it was so much better on it as no load times

If you are talking about the actual games then there is nothing wrong with them it's just they do little to excel compared to their peers.

If you mean the European versions they are the usual horrible PAL conversions with gameplay slowed down and a reduced frame rate and the aspect ratio squashed by borders. Might not have seemed to be anything wrong back when you played them but if you play the American or Japanese versions there's a big difference in playability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ugh, I did. I've yet to create a US PSN account due to my pathological hatred for the separation of the two systems. :o

Well as long as the remasters are mechanically the same then I don't mind playing them as much. Cheers for the heads up!

Ugh, I did. I've yet to create a US PSN account due to my pathological hatred for the separation of the two systems. :o

Well as long as the remasters are mechanically the same then I don't mind playing them as much. Cheers for the heads up!

It's best to have a us account for PS1 games. There's a few Japanese imports and Capcom released the us versions of the resident evils on European PSN but everything else is PAL garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Great game greats memories

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ah Retr0 not doing your research on the topic I see

Crash Bandicoot was one of the few PS1 games optimized for the PAL region. It ran at the correct timing.

That's me shown! I just presumed it was the usual **** conversion as that was the norm. I wonder if it was the same for the sequels as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes as far as I understand all 3 were optimized.

Advertisement