Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy: Remastered

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just after passing the pin stripe of in crash 1 does the game get even harder ?. As seen online there is another bridge lv is it even worse then the 1st one?

I have 2 and 3 done and dusted and only need to get a few gems in each but will keep that for a later date.

As a child I was useless at crash 1 and as a 25 year old I am still useless ha.

Question has anyone here ever played the 2d games on the gba?. As I paid the 1st one again there a few back and it's still as good as ever !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just platinumed Crash 3. Went and did a few levels of Crash 1 but don't really think I'll bother trying to platinum it.

I'd forgotten how many of the Crash 3 levels are gimmick levels and how the game kinda suffers for it. Plus the abilities you get just make the game too easy. Crash 2 is still the pick of the bunch in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Penn wrote:
    Just platinumed Crash 3. Went and did a few levels of Crash 1 but don't really think I'll bother trying to platinum it.

How did you find the gold relic in High Time? It took me ages, it's putting me off getting platinum in any of the levels. Pretty easy game overall it must be said.

How did you find the gold relic in High Time? It took me ages, it's putting me off getting platinum in any of the levels. Pretty easy game overall it must be said.

Yeah that one was incredibly frustrating. The start is the most important, determining where carpets will be when you get there. Plus keeping all the masks so you can get invincibility.

The only two platinum relics I got in Crash 3 were the two underwater levels. Definitely close to platinum in a few other levels but can't see how I could do most of them any faster without a good few tries. Not that pushed on it, the golds were hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

You can lose upwards of five seconds very easily if you don't time the start correctly. Hot Coco was quite tough also, it took me a while to work out an effective route.

Despite the fact that it is the easiest of the three games, Warped is definitely my favourite so I can see myself returning to it when I want to play the game again down the line. I found the Road to Nowhere in Crash 1 more frustrating than any gem, crystal or relic in Warped. I'm genuinely worried for my health when I reach the High Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Bee-having in Crash 2 is a pain. You can't outrun the bees!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

J. Marston wrote: »
    Bee-having in Crash 2 is a pain. You can't outrun the bees!

You can spin and hit them away when they are close enough. I thought it was a pain too until I realized you can hit them.

You can spin and hit them away when they are close enough. I thought it was a pain too until I realized you can hit them.

The second level where numerous bees come, you can also slide and then spin, as one spin probably won't get then all.

Damn it... going for all the gems in Crash 1. Finding it a lot easier than I thought it'd be (though the coloured gems and having to not die was a pain in the hole). Even got up to 99 lives pretty quickly without cheesing it. But now it's making me want to go for the relics too. If anything, they might be easier than the other games due to the lack of variety in enemies and moves available. It's almost all down to the environmental hazards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crash 1 isn't that bad just badly designed. The designers throw lives at you to compensate.

Played a bit more of this last night as I was pissed off I couldn't find FF12 anywhere. Glad to see High Road is still the worst designed level by a long shot. That might be too kind to the stage as it suggests there was an actual design process for the level. It's exasperated by the dodgy physics in this release. The original level was tough but at least had a flow the way a donkey Kong country 2 level had. The turtles are kind of broken which breaks that flow as you can't trust them.

It actually highlights what the development team did wrong. They took an off the shelf physics engine and adapted that for the collision detection. It makes development a lot easier but it's hard to emulate how classic collision detection engines work and a reason I always write mine from scratch.

Some of the design in these games really makes you appreciate how Nintendo makes their platformers. They are more about exploration and secrets while stuff like the coloured gem requirements are just arbitrary bs and only artificially extend the length of the game without adding much value.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Glad to see High Road is still the worst designed level by a long shot. That might be too kind to the stage as it suggests there was an actual design process for the level. It's exasperated by the dodgy physics in this release. The original level was tough but at least had a flow the way a donkey Kong country 2 level had. The turtles are kind of broken which breaks that flow as you can't trust them.

Have to say, having recently replayed the two bridge levels for the box gems... they're really not that bad. The biggest flaw is the potential of killing a turtle or flipping him too early meaning you have to die as you can't make the next jump (rope walking aside). But I really didn't find them that troubling this time round being more used to the gameplay and timing. In most parts the spacing of the bridge boards and turtles is spacing of your jump anyway.

The biggest flaw in the game imo is the hitboxes for some items, particularly the fires in Native Fortress/Great Gate. Trying to get the gold relic on Native Fortress last night and constantly losing a mask on the fires even though I'm way above it or nearly past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Just beat Cortex on Crash 1 so I'm on the grind now for the gems and relics. Really want to platinum it just for the sense of achievement. Haven't looked at 2 or 3 yet. They're far superior games so its kind of like they're the ice cream if I can finish my Crash 1 broccoli :).

Have to say I am enjoying it dodgy platforming aside. Having a full suite of trophies for each game is what's keeping me going because I don't think I'd 100% if I was replaying the ps1 versions.

A very mixed bag with some of the relics in Crash 1. I've gotten more platinum relics than Crash 2 & 3 combined, including a platinum on Sunset Vista which I got the first time I actually managed to reach the end, but reaching the end was a pain in the hole itself and took a good few tries. Then some other levels I got gold or even platinum first try.

Again, I think because there are fewer game mechanics in the first game (no slide or slide-jump, or the abilities in Crash 3), the relics in Crash 1 are all about just learning the environment more than enemies or tricky jumps. They're not as bad as I thought they'd be, but yeah, some levels are tricky. I only got a sapphire on Native Fortress so I still have to go back to that one for the gold.

Not looking forward to the last few levels. The Lab is going to be a tricky one to try and run through, and still have the second bridge level to do (missed the Gold on the first bridge level by about 0.3 seconds last night but got it the next try).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not even going to go near the relics. I've no interest in achievements and these look like tests of patience rather than fun.

That and FF12 just arrived from Amazon.

I'm not even going to go near the relics. I've no interest in achievements and these look like tests of patience rather than fun.

It's a bit of both, without a doubt. It's frustrating in a lot of ways, and particularly dying towards the end, or missing out on the relic by a short amount, but at the same time, it's challenging and rewarding. When you're on that great run, just in the zone and realising you're faster than your previous attempts, just nailing every jump and spin.

It's not even so much the achievement/trophies (though the completionist in me wants them), but also just the nostalgia and wanting to play the game more. I finished the games pretty quickly, the relics give me something to keep playing for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

A new level was released today as free DLC (free DLC from Activision, I know!); a level cut from the original release of Crash Bandicoot albeit accessible by GameShark called Stormy Ascent (similar to Slippery Climb). It was cut because it was far too difficult, so good luck!

It's only available to download for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Downloaded it. It's evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

How big is the file? I picked this up on Argos yesterday. Need a break from Souls and loved a platform as a nipper. Yer man in Argos said he'd never seen a game sell as well.

Got the platinum for Crash 1 last night. High Road and Native Fortress near killed me.

Tried Stormy Ascent just to get a feel for it. Man, it really does seem crazy tough.

Penn wrote: »
    Got the platinum for Crash 1 last night. High Road and Native Fortress near killed me.

Tried Stormy Ascent just to get a feel for it. Man, it really does seem crazy tough.

Got the gold relic for Stormy Ascent last night. Wasn't a huge distance off Platinum time and know where I could shave those seconds off, but no. It's an insanely difficult level. So many jumps are so dependent on the sequence for moving platforms or sliding steps to be in the exact right position for speedrunning.

That's me officially done with the game unless they release new content. I still want to play it, but unless I actually start a new game there's nothing left to actually aim for (bar platinum relics but I won't enjoy that). Have to say, the N-Sane trilogy exceeded my expectations. I knew I wanted to play it, but didn't think it would drag me in as much as it did, and looking back at videos of the original games, it's incredible the work Vicarious Visions have done to the games. I really hope they get a chance to develop their own follow-on game using what they've learnt from this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Screw the Road to nowhere. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Has anybody heard anything else about this coming out on the Xbox One? I read about the original rumours during the summer, but haven't heard a peep since

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Thats rumours for ya...

Still no sign of this coming out on the Xbox, but there are now rumours on Gamesradar that it will be released on PC and the Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

This is coming to Switch/Xbox and PC July 10th.

This is coming to Switch/Xbox and PC July 10th.

Where did you hear that? I saw the announcement for the Switch on Nintendo Direct a while ago, but can’t find any confirmation that it’s coming to the Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

BDJW wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? I saw the announcement for the Switch on Nintendo Direct a while ago, but can’t find any confirmation that it’s coming to the Xbox

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/971874497702907904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23971874497702907904

Not that exciting for switch users as Crash was always ****ty Mario

(It hurts because it's true https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/crash-bandicoot-review/1900-2547129/)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not that exciting for switch users as Crash was always ****ty Mario

(It hurts because it's true https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/crash-bandicoot-review/1900-2547129/)

"Players looking for an old-school platform game with uncanny visual effects will certainly find it here."

Jaysus. They labeled it as old school back in 1996. Not something you would expect to stand the test of time then.

• Advertisement

Well the first game is janky and really lacks imagination but the sequels are a lot of fun. I was a bit over the top. Not the biggest fan of the games but the collection is still well worth the money.

Advertisement