Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy: Remastered

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Think this has been released on Xbox and Switch now.

Plus the new level has been released as free DLC for the PS4 version. It's a Crash 3 level called Future Tense. Have to say, it's a very well designed level. Holds completely true to the level design and style of the other futuristic Crash 3 levels, but it's very challenging in places and well thought out.

Given that it's the only level in the game Vicarious Visions have actually made from scratch (in terms of design/layout, not assets/art), it would definitely make me hopeful in if VV were given the chance to make a new Crash game.

Plus they finally allow you to skip the VV intro bit when you're loading up the game. How that wasn't in it from the start is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Penn wrote: »
    Think this has been released on Xbox and Switch now.

It came out last Friday. I picked it up for the Xbox but haven't had a chance to play it yet

Were these actually any good? I always saw it as the only platformer on ps1 so got over the top praise

Overall they're a mixed bag. Crash 1 is good but some of the level design is incredibly hard and hitboxes can be frustrating. Crash 3 goes the opposite direction, where abilities you can unlock throughout the game making it far too easy, and too many 'special' types of levels where you're in a vehicle rather than platforming (plus a lot of recycled types of levels).

Crash 2 is brilliant throughout. Varied, fun levels. Lots of secrets.

I fully admit part of the reason I bought the trilogy was nostalgia, as I had 2 & 3 (and played a bit of 1) on the PS1 and always loved them, and yeah, they were probably the best known platformers on the PS1. But I have to say I really enjoyed replaying and platinuming the new trilogy. It can be a real challenge trying to get all the gems and find all the secret paths, and when you add in the time trials for levels, I damn near broke my thumbs doing some of them.

I bought it full price on release last year and definitely felt like I got my moneys worth anyway, but again I do admit I may be biased for nostalgic reasons, as part of the joy was seeing the levels remastered and trying to remember how to do certain bits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Penn wrote: »
    But I have to say I really enjoyed replaying and platinuming the new trilogy. It can be a real challenge trying to get all the gems and find all the secret paths, and when you add in the time trials for levels, I damn near broke my thumbs doing some of them.

I remember thinking to myself when I bought it, this is going to be three easy platinums but I was definitely wrong. Fair play for getting the platinums in all three, I think I would have broke all my controllers going for the platinums.

• Advertisement

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I remember thinking to myself when I bought it, this is going to be three easy platinums but I was definitely wrong. Fair play for getting the platinums in all three, I think I would have broke all my controllers going for the platinums.

If you'd had to have gotten platinum relics in the time trials, I wouldn't have attempted it. I did get a few platinum relics along the way, but it was hard enough getting the golds, and even watching videos of how people got the platinums on some of the levels... Crazy the precision it takes.

But that's the thing, I was still enjoying playing the game so much that it gave me something to aim for and keep playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Were these actually any good? I always saw it as the only platformer on ps1 so got over the top praise

They're OK. And they weren't really praised on release. Crash 1 reviewed fairly averagely as it's a very bland 2D platformer compared to the likes of yoshis island and especially in comparison to Mario 64. Playstation magazines did review it a bit better but there are way better examples of the genre on the system.

Crash 2 and 3 are big improvements but not exactly top tier platformers either. They reviewed well but multiplatform publications were less impressed.

Still think the collection is well worth the price. They might not match the best platformers Nintendo spew out or stuff like Klonoa on PS1 but you are getting two very good games and one decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

PaddyBomb wrote: »

I went for Crash 1 first, big mistake. The High Road nearly destroyed me, took over 5 hours to get the time trial relic on it.
    The platinums for Crash 2 & 3 are much easier to obtain.

I went for Crash 1 first, big mistake. The High Road nearly destroyed me, took over 5 hours to get the time trial relic on it.
    The platinums for Crash 2 & 3 are much easier to obtain.

Yeah I went in reverse order for them. Crash 3 because it was actually designed for time trials, then Crash 2 then Crash 1.

As hard as High Road was, the first DLC level Stormy Ascent damn near broke me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't mind if High Road and Stormy Ascent were were fun but they are just badly designed. Stormy Ascent is a series of dick moves and I can see why Naughty Dog got rid of it, while High Road is the worst of the bridge levels which are by far the worst thing about the first game. They are just a series of annoying jumping sections designed to annoy the player than actually having any semblance of level design. High Road just stretches that out until you are well past sick of it.

At least the sequels never get that bad.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if High Road and Stormy Ascent were were fun but they are just badly designed. Stormy Ascent is a series of dick moves and I can see why Naughty Dog got rid of it, while High Road is the worst of the bridge levels which are by far the worst thing about the first game. They are just a series of annoying jumping sections designed to annoy the player than actually having any semblance of level design. High Road just stretches that out until you are well past sick of it.

Plus the turtles in the bridge levels meant if you flipped them too early, or worse ran into them with a mask meaning they'd just fly away and you're still alive, you then had no hope of progressing.

Still though, much prefer them to the jetski levels in Crash 3. No dick moves, or tricky design... just really awful levels. They can f*ck right off.

Ugh, I forgot the turtles. The PS1 and the release both have dodgy jumping physics off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Penn wrote:
    Still though, much prefer them to the jetski levels in Crash 3. No dick moves, or tricky design... just really awful levels. They can f*ck right off.

Why do you hate the jetski levels so much? I personally didn't like the plane/helicopter levels too much, but always liked the N.Gin boss battle.

Why do you hate the jetski levels so much? I personally didn't like the plane/helicopter levels too much, but always liked the N.Gin boss battle.

Well that's it, the plane levels were kinda required to get you used to the controls for it for the N/Gin boss battle.

The jetski levels though, especially when it came to all-box gems and the relics, it handled terribly, very unforgiving, choppy waves affecting your jumps/turns... and all really just because Coco needed more of her own levels. They were just horrible to play compared to others. There was just no real need for them when you already have the motorbike, plane and tiger levels. I just felt they were one type of 'special' level too many. Would have much preferred more platforming levels instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Penn wrote:
    I just felt they were one type of 'special' level too many. Would have much preferred more platforming levels instead.
    I definitely agree with you there, I loved Crash 3 and still do but it's easy compared to its predecessors. Hot Coco still gives me nightmares.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »

Awful awful levels

I'm stuck on high road now, it's just a frustrating mess

So, Monday I played the Future Tense level. Completed it, but didn't get either of the gems (didn't cop the alternate routes to get all boxes or unlock the death route).

Tuesday, I completed the level again, with many deaths and a lot of hardship, but got both the gems. However, when I exited the level, I pressed the wrong button and returned to the main menu, meaning it wasn't saved (I had autosave disabled). So I lost both gems.

Last night, I completed the level again, with even more deaths and hardship than before (don't know what the f*ck was wrong with me last night but I could not get my timing right at all). Got both gems. Went to save the game. Accidentally loaded my previous save instead of overwriting it. Lost both gems again.

The hardest enemy in Crash 3 is myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I started playing Crash 1 last night. I forgot how hard it is! I don't think I have got any relics yet :o. I got to the High Road last night and then realised that the person who created that level is the Devil....took me about an hour to get passed it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Crash 3 is as easy as ever but still fun. Crash 1 I actually didn't have much hassle with. Was down to my last life at one point near the end but never got a game over. Crash 2 on the other hand nearly made me fire the PS4 out the window in rage!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

60FPS is amazingly different. Feels so good to play. Struggled at times playing Crash 2 on PS4, seems a lot easier 2nd time around on PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Aisling2013

Hey.. I'm not a big gamer, only like maybe 5 or 6 games but my all time favourite is crash. Especially crash 2. Also one of only 3 games I've ever cleared 😂
    Just got the remaster on xbox.. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ ridiculously harder than the original. Died TWICE in TURTLE WOODS of all places. Now I'm on snow go on the higher up part and it's like unless you jump on an exact specific centimetre of the seals backs, you gon' die.
    Halp

Advertisement