Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 24 Finale: Johnson v Elliott

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Johnson via Submission
    Main event just on BT or will it be on Fightpass too?

Johnson via Submission
    Looking forward to watching my boy Ryan Hall rip Maynard's leg off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Main event just on BT or will it be on Fightpass too?

BT Sport only. There won't be a main card live on Fight Pass in this region for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Johnson via Submission
    Would love to see Timmy win but I only see MM out classing him and the ref stepping in to stop the madness.

Very interested to see how Hall gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

First fight up, looks like it's been fought behind closed doors. Crowd made up of immediate family, coaches and ring girls only.

• Advertisement

Johnson via Submission
    tinpib wrote: »
    First fight up, looks like it's been fought behind closed doors. Crowd made up of immediate family, coaches and ring girls only.
    People just don't bother showing up for early prelims. Especially obvious in small venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

yer mans clarkes da is full on Shannon briggs. Lets go champ

Johnson via Submission
    Looking forward to Ion Cutelaba fighting tonight. Thought his last fight was super entertaining.

People just don't bother showing up for early prelims. Especially obvious in small venues.

Ya I know. Looks so bad though.

Johnson via Submission
    tinpib wrote: »
    Ya I know. Looks so bad though.

Reminds me of the local GAA hall events atmosphere wise.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the local GAA hall events atmosphere wise.

kinda cool if you are there tho no ? makes **** real when you hear that thump or whatever. Only thing i ever liked on tuf was hearing a clean punch or leg kick and no commentary

Mighty Mouse deserves better than this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Paully D wrote: »
    Mighty Mouse deserves better than this.

Why?

Not getting into a financial discussion but hes on this garbage card due to the fact nobody knows him or cares about him hes too much of a financial risk to put on a big card, doesnt promote himself in anyway from what I can see, incredible fighter that nobody in America would know if he walked by them its crazy.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Why?

Not getting into a financial discussion but hes on this garbage card due to the fact nobody knows him or cares about him hes too much of a financial risk to put on a big card, doesnt promote himself in anyway from what I can see, incredible fighter that nobody in America would know if he walked by them its crazy.

i always think that since the reebok ****e DJ has been let down, that must have been a sponsor with some legit outlets and cash.

Xbox plastered over your shorts and move like video game character.

Johnson via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe the company who just spent $4billion on a product should be the ones who promote the product and the best features of the product instead of paying fighters ****e money and then expecting them to do the promotion as well?

Just a though...

Johnson via Submission
    My baby Kailin is gonna mess this newbie up.

Maybe the company who just spent $4billion on a product should be the ones who promote the product and the best features of the product instead of paying fighters ****e money and then expecting them to do the promotion as well?

Just a though...

You either have it or you dont, the UFC are incredible pr machine and have been for years if they couldnt promote him by now there is no chance for him they can only push you so far if you wanna earn money you gotta be willing to do some of your own promotion, a closed mouth dont get fed anyways it will ramble on this is his level free tv fights wont headline a ppv I wouldnt say in a while nobody for him to fight.

Oooh, Jesus, that's a nasty cut. She's very gutsy, that lassie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnson via Decision
    Hope Ryan Hall pulls off something special tonight

Johnson via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    Hope Ryan Hall pulls off something special tonight

Imanari roll entry to a heel hook in 5 seconds.

352qhk2.gif

• Advertisement

Imanari roll entry to a heel hook in 5 seconds.

352qhk2.gif

tempted man tempted

BRurc1q.png

Nice ninja delete, Marcos! :pac:

I've almost been burnt by the "other" Stun Gun too. :P

Johnson via Submission
    Paully D wrote: »
    Nice ninja delete, Marcos! :pac:

I've almost been burnt by the "other" Stun Gun too. :P

I don't know what you mean...

giphy.gif

Saw the card, thought "wow, stun gun is a huge LW" then saw the record and was like "Stun gun aint lost no 8 fights!".

I don't know what you mean...

giphy.gif

Saw the card, thought "wow, stun gun is a huge LW" then saw the record and was like "Stun gun aint lost no 8 fights!".

I was about to place a large bet on him previously only to realise at the last second. Thank Christ as he lost! :pac:

Johnson via Submission
    Rob Font, you beast.

Johnson via Decision
    Can't help but be reminded of the fight Ryan lost on TUF.
    The gameplay for Maynard to beat him is right there.

I've bet on Ryan in rd1, but second guessing it now

Johnson via Submission
    I have faith in Ryan "The Wizard, Blinky McHeel Hook" Hall.

Johnson via Submission
    Jesus, he nearly did it :D

Can't help but be reminded of the fight Ryan lost on TUF.
    The gameplay for Maynard to beat him is right there.

I've bet on Ryan in rd1, but second guessing it now

shut up you are making me worry

• Advertisement

Johnson via Submission
    10-9 Blinky McWizpants.

ahhh ****e

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Johnson via Submission
    Stann saying Maynard is being patient trying to frustrate Hall, only one I see frustrated is Maynard every time Hall drops to the ground. Hoping he locks in something sweet in the next round.

Johnson via Submission
    20-18 Hall and the mouth breathers are booing.

it looks so ****ed up but you know

2085934-liljapaneseguy.jpg

Johnson via Submission
    30-27 Hall, not a great fight but that's more to do with Maynard backing away from everything and refusing to engage than anything else.

• Advertisement

Relying on that iminari roll way too much needs an awful lot of work nobody is getting caught in them in mid to high level mma, nice hook kicks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Johnson via Submission
    Even though hall is obviously very tricky Maynard's offence wasn't good enough. God knows why he didn't at least risk the ground and pound at the end, especially when there was only 15 seconds left it was his only hope.

Not a particularly gruelling fight but Hall didn't seem the slightest bit out of breathe in the post fight interview.

Johnson via Decision
    Ryan's doesn't integrate his striking well enough with his jiu jitsu. Don't get me wrong, it was effective. The threat of the takedown/imanari roll kept Gray at range and allowed Ryan to land some front kicks and hook kicks (that were light enough). But there's a very clear switch between striking and shooting modes. Which telegraphs his rolls a lot. Contrast that with Maia who integrates his BJJ into striking exchanges seamlessly.

Also, faking the knockdown, to bait his opponent into coming into his range will go against him in the long run imo as judges will credit his opponent for it. But, hats off to Ryan, he won tonight. Fair and square against a veteran. He out-struck him over 2 if not 3 rounds.

Johnson via Submission
    Ryan's doesn't integrate his striking well enough with his jiu jitsu. Don't get me wrong, it was effective. The threat of the takedown/imanari roll kept Gray at range and allowed Ryan to land some front kicks and hook kicks (that were light enough). But there's a very clear switch between striking and shooting modes. Which telegraphs his rolls a lot. Contrast that with Maia who integrates his BJJ into striking exchanges seamlessly.

Also, faking the knockdown, to bait his opponent into coming into his range will go against him in the long run imo as judges will credit his opponent for it. But, hats off to Ryan, he won tonight. Fair and square against a veteran. He out-struck him over 2 if not 3 rounds.

He out struck him over all 3 rounds according to the statistics. I think he easily won all 3 rounds.

He needs to incorporate some single leg take downs into his game like Maia, or just learn how to hide his leg entanglement entries better.

I don't ever see him winning a title at 145, but he's a very interesting problem for a lot of fighters.

Johnson via Decision
    He out struck him over all 3 rounds according to the statistics. I think he easily won all 3 rounds.

He needs to incorporate some single leg take downs into his game like Maia, or just learn how to hide his leg entanglement entries better.

I don't ever see him winning a title at 145, but he's a very interesting problem for a lot of fighters.

I heard them mention that at the end. But still felt he may might not have got the first on the judges cards.
    Number of strikes isn't strictly a judging criteria. He spent a bit of the round on the back foot, which went against him with one judge.

I think he just needs to set up the rolls with striking combos. They were all shot from range in isolation. Maia-esque singles would be great for him too.

• Advertisement

I konw Mighty Mouse is amazing but I just can't see a 125 guy as the best P4P, I know its a controversial opinion to some but for me the 125 pound weight division just doesn't much flare. In saying that I am still staying up to watch him fight haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Johnson via Decision
    I konw Mighty Mouse is amazing but I just can't see a 125 guy as the best P4P, I know its a controversial opinion to some but for me the 125 pound weight division just doesn't much flare. In saying that I am still staying up to watch him fight haha

I'd be more inclined to rank him as #1 P4P but I see where you're coming from. That's why a superfight with Cruz is so important, if he can avenge that loss I imagine he'll win over a lot more fans and cement his spot as the best in the world. Can't wait to see him at work again later.

Well, that was strange. :eek:

Utterly ridiculous decision from Lavigne to dock Cejudo a point for that. Such a crucial decision in a 3 round fight especially.

Disgraceful.

Johnson via Decision
    I have that scored as a draw but Benavidez might nick it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Johnson via Decision
    That's terrible judging.

Johnson via Decision
    Literally no buzz at all in that arena by the sound of it.

Johnson via Decision
    Eh did Tim Elliot just win that round??? WTF??

Johnson via Decision
    Elliot certainly wasn't the tomato can he was made out to be, but just outclassed for four rounds after the good one he had. Still don't think there will ever be a man at 125 that can beat DJ, he has to move up once he beats Silva's record.

Johnson via Decision
    What was with the 49-45??

Did one of the judges score a round 9-9 or something??

Edit: Just realised. Obviously a 10-8 in there for DJ!! 9-9's not possible under this scoring system!! Brain tired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement