Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF 24 Finale: Johnson v Elliott

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Elliott via KO/TKO
    not the worst card ive ever seen, dj is never getting beaten at 125...has to be cruz/cody next surely or has benavidez been promised it?

one things for sure tonights fight companion will go down as one of the greats! eddie bravo never ever change :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnson via Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »
    That's terrible judging.

Did the first two judges score it 3-0 for each of them.

Glad Joe won all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Johnson via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    Did the first two judges score it 3-0 for each of them.

Glad Joe won all the same

30-26: 3 Rds scored in favour of Benavidez.
    29-27: 3 Rds scored in favour of Cejudo when you take the deduction into consideration.
    29-27: 2 rds scored in favour of Benavidez, 1 for Cejudo.

I thought the 30-26 for Benavidez was crazy. Round 2 & 3 could have went either way. Round 1 was a clear 9-9.

Personally myself I scored it a draw, but would have scored it in favour of Cejudo with out the deduction being a factor but I have no problem with the result, as the 2nd and 3rd rounds were very close. Its the inconsistency I was commenting on really.

Johnson via Decision
    Depp wrote: »
    not the worst card ive ever seen, dj is never getting beaten at 125...has to be cruz/cody next surely or has benavidez been promised it?

Joe B gets it I believe.
    Mighty Mouse only needs 1 more to equal Anderson's record of 11 straight title fight wins (10 defenses). He's not going to move up before he takes that record.
    Then another one to take GSP record of 12 overall. But I suppose a win at 135 achieves that too.

Fell asleep last night before the Main Event haha. It was a much better fight than I was expecting and Elliot fair play to him put up a good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Johnson via Submission
    I had Joe and Henry at a draw. Totally honest, I look more forward to Tims next fight than MM's. He's some character, a bit guillotine happy leading him to being on the bottom too much but definitely a great addition to 125.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Elliott via KO/TKO
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    but definitely a great addition to 125.

135 if he has way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,916 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Johnson via Submission
    135 if he has way

Did he mention moving up? I was wondering about his cut alright, he looked huge compared to MM.

I konw Mighty Mouse is amazing but I just can't see a 125 guy as the best P4P, I know its a controversial opinion to some but for me the 125 pound weight division just doesn't much flare. In saying that I am still staying up to watch him fight haha
    https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/805305452498210816
    Looks like a lot of people agree with me regarding Mighty Mouse

• Advertisement

Johnson via Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »

30-26: 3 Rds scored in favour of Benavidez.
    29-27: 3 Rds scored in favour of Cejudo when you take the deduction into consideration.
    29-27: 2 rds scored in favour of Benavidez, 1 for Cejudo.

I thought the 30-26 for Benavidez was crazy. Round 2 & 3 could have went either way. Round 1 was a clear 9-9.

Personally myself I scored it a draw, but would have scored it in favour of Cejudo with out the deduction being a factor but I have no problem with the result, as the 2nd and 3rd rounds were very close. Its the inconsistency I was commenting on really.
    What way did you score the rounds?
    I think with such a close fight higher variance in the judges cards will be more common.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Watching this now 3 rounds into the main event some incredible exchanges very good grappling from both guys Elliot is a beast at transitions and off his back.

Elliott via KO/TKO
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Did he mention moving up? I was wondering about his cut alright, he looked huge compared to MM.

Yeah in the presser afterwards praised his team for helping him push on with it as he struggles lately to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Elliott via KO/TKO

None of that has anything to do with him being P4P best or not. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On the PPV cards he has been on he has headlined events with attendances of 13,506, 10,544, 10,154 and 10,873. Gates of $1.14m, $2.2m, $668,000 and $1.3m respectively.

You know what you're going to get from Mighty Mouse. About 140,000 PPV buys and an attendance of around 10,000 at the MGM with a gate in or around the $1m mark.

If you put a McGregor fight in a shed with a capacity of 27 people which is what Johnson was fighting in last night, then he wouldn't have hit much more than those figures.

callaway92 wrote: »
    None of that has anything to do with him being P4P best or not. . .
    I mean when you are taking into P4P into consideration you have too take into considerations the difficulties at higher weights, i.e. more power. If Johnson got connected by Elliot like he did in that fight at 40 pounds heavier he might have went to sleep. Its my own personal preference, I generally don't like 125 division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Johnson via Decision
    What way did you score the rounds?
    I think with such a close fight higher variance in the judges cards will be more common.

9-9
    10-9 Cejudo
    10-9 Benavidez

Johnson via Decision
    I mean when you are taking into P4P into consideration you have too take into considerations the difficulties at higher weights, i.e. more power. If Johnson got connected by Elliot like he did in that fight at 40 pounds heavier he might have went to sleep. Its my own personal preference, I generally don't like 125 division.

But if Elliot was 40 lbs heavier he wouldn't have been able to move like that and connect like that.
    You can't just apply one aspect of heavier weight as ignore the rest.

If you don't like the lighter weights that's fair enough. Your opinion.
    But you can't really use that in to write off the division in terms of P4P. P4P is supposed to be purely about skill, not what you like to watch.

But if Elliot was 40 lbs heavier he wouldn't have been able to move like that and connect like that.
    You can't just apply one aspect of heavier weight as ignore the rest.

If you don't like the lighter weights that's fair enough. Your opinion.
    But you can't really use that in to write off the division in terms of P4P. P4P is supposed to be purely about skill, not what you like to watch.
    Yeah I 100% agree with you. I just feel as if the heavier divisions are way more deep and more competitive and its hard to compare people in the 125 division to the lightweight division for example. Can you really say that Might Mouse is better P4P than Khabib for example?

Elliott via KO/TKO
    Can you really say that Might Mouse is better P4P than Khabib for example?

Mighty Mouse has had more title defenses in the UFC than Khabib has had fights in the organisation. So yeah I'd say you definitely could.

Elliott via KO/TKO
    way i see it the weight has to come into it a bit, as you go up the weights the margin for error gets smaller and smaller, a guy at 205 lets a similar shot like that his chances of recovering are exponentially less than at 125, at 125 you can afford to slip up every now and then cause smaller guys aren't hitting so hard but you let that in at 205 with most guys its naptime. Hes definitely top three by my book I have him in behind jon and conor. he moves up and beats cruz its a completely different story however...

• Advertisement

Johnson via Decision
    Yeah I 100% agree with you. I just feel as if the heavier divisions are way more deep and more competitive and its hard to compare people in the 125 division to the lightweight division for example. Can you really say that Might Mouse is better P4P than Khabib for example?
    No doubt LW is a deeper division that 125. That doesn't necessarily mean that the top LW is relative better than the top 125er though.
    Also, the "depth" of the divisions is on a curve. As you go up they get deeper, but after LW and WW they start to get shallower again. HW is a puddle for example.

I'd be pretty confidant that Mighty Mouse is better than Khabib in P4P terms.
    Look at it this this way;
    Johnson's is the best or almost the best in all areas in the division.
    Khabib has the best grappling in the division no doubt. But his striking is a mis tier imo.
    way i see it the weight has to come into it a bit, as you go up the weights the margin for error gets smaller and smaller, a guy at 205 lets a similar shot like that his chances of recovering are exponentially less than at 125, at 125 you can afford to slip up every now and then cause smaller guys aren't hitting so hard but you let that in at 205 with most guys its naptime.

The 205 division is getting shallow lately too.

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/g0mc.mp4?token=1482035886_045cb11d5c8ba687691c3bcadacc2ea77e722410

way i see it the weight has to come into it a bit, as you go up the weights the margin for error gets smaller and smaller, a guy at 205 lets a similar shot like that his chances of recovering are exponentially less than at 125, at 125 you can afford to slip up every now and then cause smaller guys aren't hitting so hard but you let that in at 205 with most guys its naptime. Hes definitely top three by my book I have him in behind jon and conor. he moves up and beats cruz its a completely different story however...

If you take away all Conor Irish bias I'd have Cruz above Conor in P4P, Jones would be first, Cormier above Conor but P4P is a bit stupid in my opinion, its hard to compare people in different weight classes. Conor is by far my favourite fighter but I wouldn't have him in top 3 P4P at the moment. The reason Conor is great is not just his fighting but his overall entertainment and how he finishes fights, can you really argue that Conor is better P4P than Cormier?

Elliott via KO/TKO
    If you take away all Conor Irish bias I'd have Cruz above Conor in P4P, Jones would be first, Cormier above Conor but P4P is a bit stupid in my opinion, its hard to compare people in different weight classes. Conor is by far my favourite fighter but I wouldn't have him in top 3 P4P at the moment. The reason Conor is great is not just his fighting but his overall entertainment and how he finishes fights, can you really argue that Conor is better P4P than Cormier?

id definitely put him at two behind jones...hes destroyed legit champions in two weight divisions, this has never happened before hes definitely up there

id definitely put him at two behind jones...hes destroyed legit champions in two weight divisions, this has never happened before hes definitely up there
    That is because no one else just got the opportunity to fight the champion at a higher weight, Aldo wanted to fight the lightweight champion and was told he would need to give up his featherweight belt if he wants to go up. Aldo beat former lightweight champion in Frankie Edgar, look I am a massive Conor and I am not trying to take anything away from the guy, he is great, I am just saying that there is better fighters.

Elliott via KO/TKO
    That is because no one else just got the opportunity to fight the champion at a higher weight, Aldo wanted to fight the lightweight champion and was told he would need to give up his featherweight belt if he wants to go up. Aldo beat former lightweight champion in Frankie Edgar, look I am a massive Conor and I am not trying to take anything away from the guy, he is great, I am just saying that there is better fighters.

thats all true but we dont actually know for sure what fights jose has asked for/been offered in the past...all we know is conors been a champ at two weight classes and you just cant overlook that

also for what its worth ive bisping in the 4-6 range

thats all true but we dont actually know for sure what fights jose has asked for/been offered in the past...all we know is conors been a champ at two weight classes and you just cant overlook that

also for what its worth ive bisping in the 4-6 range
    I also love bisping as a fighter, the guys attitude and fight is amazing but I wouldn't even have him as top 10, he will most likely lose his next fight and I had henderson winning the last fight.

What happened with Conor was that he is a massive draw for the owners wallet so he was handed a title shot at the lightweight belt and he managed to win one fight. I would think people who have massive amount of title defenses have achieved something way more. I do think that Conor has potential to be P4P no 1 for sure, but I just think its way to early too tell yet. Just trying to look at things from a neutral perspective is all. haha Comments about Conor are funny online people either say he is a bum or he is the GOAT :pac:

Regarding Mighty Mouse, I would love to see him go up and fight Cruz next, that is a fight I would love to see and could make Mighty Mouse some money. I wonder how Garbrandt would do against Mighty?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

What exactly is Bisping good at that makes him p4p rated? hes a jack off all trades good at all the martial arts excellent at none he shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as Mouse Jones or Conor.

Elliott via KO/TKO
    Gamebred wrote: »
    What exactly is Bisping good at that makes him p4p rated? hes a jack off all trades good at all the martial arts excellent at none he shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as Mouse Jones or Conor.

he has more wins than any other fighter in the history of the ufc and hes the current middleweight champion is my motivation to have him there anyway...also important to not had usada been there from the start by all accounts bispings career trajectory would have been a lot different

he has more wins than any other fighter in the history of the ufc and hes the current middleweight champion is my motivation to have him there anyway...also important to not had usada been there from the start by all accounts bispings career trajectory would have been a lot different
    USADA was there in his last fight and he nearly lost to a near 50 year old Hendo :pac:

Elliott via KO/TKO
    USADA was there in his last fight and he nearly lost to a near 50 year old Hendo :pac:

he didn't lose though did he...to be fair to hendo though id say if he catches you with one in his 80's you're still in trouble

one thing though re bisping, he can grind out yoel hes the goat no questions asked :D

• Advertisement

he didn't lose though did he...to be fair to hendo though id say if he catches you with one in his 80's you're still in trouble

one thing though re bisping, he can grind out yoel hes the goat no questions asked :D
    He can for sure beat Yoel if he can dance around him for 5 rounds and not get clipped but if Romero gets him once Bisping is going for a sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The arena was half empty last night, shame to see. The low numbers don't surprise me, the UFC didn't promote the fight at all and the card was weak enough on paper.

Cejudo said Dana and Shelby called him to say they thought he won the fight but I assume Joe B will still get the title shot. He'll probably be next in line if he decides to sit it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Was Johnson injured or something. He looked a step off his usual electric pace and avoidance than he was in his last few fights against Cejudo, Dodson and Horiguchi. Or maybe he felt the bar wasnt set very high in this one and realised he only had to bring his b game. I must say Elliot outdid himself but i cant believe Elliots best should have troubled Johnson and gone the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

califano wrote: »
    Was Johnson injured or something. He looked a step off his usual electric pace and avoidance than he was in his last few fights against Cejudo, Dodson and Horiguchi. Or maybe he felt the bar wasnt set very high in this one and realised he only had to bring his b game. I must say Elliot outdid himself but i cant believe Elliots best should have troubled Johnson and gone the distance.

He thinks he tore his LCL in the first round according to mma fighting.

Advertisement