Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplinary Meeting, Advice

Options
  • 03-12-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi There, I'm having some problems in work after a short meeting today I've been told I will have a disciplinary meeting next week in work with the HR department, Without delving to much into the reasons for this I made a mistake in work last week and I fully acknowledged I did and apologized for it and said I wouldn't let it happen again, I've been there about 14 months and aside from some mistakes back when I first started this has been the first in a long time, aside from that, the company moved locations to the other end of the city recently so what used to be a 10 minute drive for me now takes nearly an hour and with the icy roads the last few weeks I have been late a handful of times but never any later than 5 minutes. So I'm just wondering what happens now, they said I can bring a witness but I don't really know whats going to happen can I be dismissed or will this be just some kind of formal warning? Can I fight it? while I acknowledge I'm in the wrong this all feels a little too severe, even If I'm not going to be dismissed should I start looking for a new job and leave? While I've never had any prior arguments with my manager we don't really have a great relationship either and I fear going forward from it here it can only deteriorate. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you are in a union then phone your union rep for advice- they can come with you to the meeting. If not, then bring a colleague. Don't make any hasty decisions about leaving- wait to see what happens at the meeting. You're unlikely to be let go unless you are on a probationary period or have done something seriously wrong. Being late a few times wouldn't fall into that category. Don't make excuses, apologise profusely and set your alarm clock for an earlier time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Does the company have a documented disciplinary procedure ?? If they do make sure you get to know it before the meeting, as HR for a copy of it. Make sure they stick to it and call them out if they appear not to be keeping to it - no need to be abrasive but don't be seen to be a pushover.

Do bring a witness if there was one to the problem and even if there was no witness to the incident bring another employee who you trust with you, the company are far less likely to deviate from standard procedures if there is another person there.. They can't interact in the meeting though, just be there to support you.

The typical disciplinary would be;

Verbal Warning
    Written warning
    Final Written Warning
    Termination

Its possible depending n the severity of the mistake you made that they can jump up a level or two but in the event of an appeal they would need to be able to justify there was a real need for this. Unless the mistake cost huge money, damaged reputation with a customer or endangered or injured someone it would be unlikely to try terminate you straight off, it would be very hard to fight an unfair dismissals claim on that.

Its likely you will be put on a PIP (personal improvement plan), this will detail your expected performance over the next period of time, maybe six months. Failure to meet the agreed goals may and usually resulty in moving to the next level of the disciplinary ladder and another PIP, ongoing failure of PIP's will result in termination of employment. My advice is be careful what you agree to, the goals need to be that of a regular employee, you can't be expected to be some sort of "super man" employee to pass the PIP, this is often a tactic to have an employee fail so they can be terminated, I've used it myself in the past :o Make sure the targets are proper and actually measurable, no "feelings" or impressions", something that can be measured and counted easily and clearly.

Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It could simply be that your lates have triggered an automatic warning/counseling session.

Advertisement