Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights.

Options
  • 03-12-2016 10:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry in advance if this is not the right forum but i was hoping someone could shed some light (no pun intended) on something.

Out the back of my house, facing due South, and i turned to go in when a light caught my eye. I waited and it came around again, but it's not one, but multiple lights.

They are West, North West, and just above the horizon at about 15 degrees. It's roughly ten lights in a spinning pattern and as well as the lights spinning they move slightly more North as they turn.

I live in a fairly rural area and the closest town is about 3 miles, but in a South East direction. Plus the lights seem to be above the clouds and are very dim because of the heavy cloud cover.

I tried to take pictures and video but all i get is a black screen. I can see them with the naked eye only.

Picture a disco ball that is on a pendulum and swaying slightly. It has been going on for about 15 minutes now. However they are not moving closer or further away. It seems stationary.

Again apologies if this seems like a conspiracy theory topic, but where i live there is nothing locally that would account for this. Been here for 10+ years and never seen anything like it.

TIA.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

What part of the country? Maybe other users around your area might be able to see them too if they know where abouts you are?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sorry should have included that.

I'm in Laois, in the Camross area.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry should have included that.

I'm in Laois, in the Camross area.

I'm in Dublin so not much help, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Get out a pair of binos

They are not that high. By that i mean they are not 60, 70, etc. degrees as you look up. I can see them over the trees that surround my property and they are 10 foot high. So standing back a distance of 30 feet from the trees i can seem them just over them.

I'm not one for ET or any such Independence day scenarios, but the lights are coming from the Slieve Blooms.

At first i though Wind turbines as there are a few, but again they are in the East, South East direction or even South East and about 6 miles away. These lights are not coming from the ground up. I hunt so i know what a light form the ground up looks like.

These seem to be in the clouds or at the very least high up and shining along/through the clouds.
    Get out a pair of binos
    Getting my Telescope out now. Not holding out much hope. As said the cloud cover is very heavy. The lights are fairly dim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

My money would definitely be on car headlights. There's been lots of isolated clumps of low-lying mist and fog in the midlands after dark the last few nights. You've got the Nore valley running across your field of view two kilometres to your south east, a perfect location for a thick fog to settle. The contours rise dozens of metres at the valley edges and there's a constriction just east of Coolrain where mist could be pushed aloft. Combine that with the old road from Mountrath to Borris just a few hundred metres beyond, and the M7-M8 beyond that. I'd say you're looking at a stream of traffic on an incline lighting up an elevated but fairly stationary fog bank between you and it.

They were at a set and predictable interval though. I last checked at about 2 am and they were still going.

I've, now, no doubt it was something simple to explain, but its wrecking my head to know what it was.

The whole thing was very odd. As said above in 10 years i've not seen anything like it and the motorway has been there, in foggy conditions, and i've never seen it.

I'll ask in the town today was anything happening last last. Perhaps someone got the Bat Signal from a charity sale (:D) and again apologies if it seems a frivolous thread.

Thanks for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Good to know you weren't abducted by the green aliens then :pac:

Well, did anybody else in the town see these lights at all or offer another explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

Any roadworks going on that you know of? Where are you in relation to the GAA club? Any new floodlights gone up? Those things are the scourge of the countryside in places that would otherwise be magnificent for astronomy.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    Good to know you weren't abducted by the green aliens then :pac:
    They'd want some winch to haul my fat ass up.
    gumbo1 wrote: »
    Well, did anybody else in the town see these lights at all or offer another explanation?
    I asked a few people and nothing. There was a mass in the town, so the town was busy (as busy as a small town can be), but nothing that anyone knew would have powerful lights on for over 7 hours.
    ps200306 wrote: »
    Any roadworks going on that you know of? Where are you in relation to the GAA club? Any new floodlights gone up?
    I actually thought of that because they have done work on the local pitch, but would flood lights not be stationary? IOW not rotating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hi Cass, I'm in a pretty rural area too (not your way), and I thought I was going mad once because there's a guy in the area who obviously (now) owns a set of these disco type laser lights, and once in a while he gives them a lash for a few hours. They do these disco patterns sort of thing up in the air, and you don't see the beam, just the spots on the clouds. I did get to see beams/where it came from once from a different angle and location, on a more foggy evening, so that's how I know it's a private person owns them, but from my house it really looks eerie as there's a hill in front of his house and I just see the evidence up in the clouds.

With people putting up their Christmas lights, it could just be someone going a bit over the top like that ?

Advertisement