Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from PS4 to PS4 pro backup question.

Options
  • 04-12-2016 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Hi - I have a PS4 that I upgraded with a 2TB drive last year.

I want to sell it with the original 500GB drive that came with it.

I want to transfer the 2TB drive to the PS4 Pro that I plan on buying when I manage to sell my current PS4.

I know that the 2TB will have to be wiped in order for it to work in the Pro - is there anyway to backup the contents on an external 2TB drive and then restore them to the 2TB drive when I install it in the PS4 PRO.

I would start all over and just download the games if and when I need them but my internet connection is very slow - it can take a few days to download a single game.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Danick wrote: »
    Hi - I have a PS4 that I upgraded with a 2TB drive last year.

I want to sell it with the original 500GB drive that came with it.

I want to transfer the 2TB drive to the PS4 Pro that I plan on buying when I manage to sell my current PS4.

I know that the 2TB will have to be wiped in order for it to work in the Pro - is there anyway to backup the contents on an external 2TB drive and then restore them to the 2TB drive when I install it in the PS4 PRO.

I would start all over and just download the games if and when I need them but my internet connection is very slow - it can take a few days to download a single game.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I did pretty much the exact same thing that you're planning to do.

You can back the entire HDD (including applications/games) to an external HDD, then swap the 2TB drive into the Pro. Once you start up the Pro, the new drive might take a while to reinitialise depending on how much space is actually used up from it's use on the base model PS4. Once that's all done however, go to settings and restore your back up from the external hard drive.

Instructions can be found here

I had roughly 1TB taken up on my base model PS4, and that took around about 7-8 hours to back up, so it's not exactly a quick process. Having said that, it is much quicker than redownloading all the games/apps, their updates, as well as their cloud saves.
    The PS4 Pro also has a USB 3.0 port on the back, so if your external HDD has USB 3.0 it will also speed up the process while restoring. My external HDD had that and restoration only took 4-5 hours, which was a massive improvement over the backup time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Nailz - you are a legend - thank you so much for your reply - anytime I tried to find an answer the solution always included having both the old PS4 and the Pro at the same time.

Advertisement