Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a Chromecast be hot to touch?

Options
  • 04-12-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭

I was trying out my Chromecast on a different TV today. When I went to unplug it, after about 10-15 minutes of testing (worked perfectly), the plastic body of the Chromecast was hot to touch, more than warm, actually hot - and the metal HDMI plug was almost too hot to touch. It normally sits plugged in on the main TV, so I don't think I've ever unplugged it like this before. Is this normal, or is it something I should be worried out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

found this

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/4541589
    Chromecast may get hot to the touch; this is normal. Unplug Chromecast’s power source and let it cool before removing it from your television.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, was just a bit surprised, given the lack of any moving parts in it. I guess all those wifi signals generate their own heat. I think I'll leave it unplugged in future, as we don't use it that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you using a USB port on the TV to power the Chromecast or a mobile phone charger plugged into the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you using a USB port on the TV to power the Chromecast or a mobile phone charger plugged into the mains?

Highly unlikely. The heat is mostly probably generated from the chips inside that have to process the signals, compress and uncompress streams of 1080p media. Takes quite a bit of processing for that and the CC has no fan to move air.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm using the original charger that came with the Chromecast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement