Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hdmi to scart or rca

Options
  • 04-12-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I bought a new telly the other day - its an LG - when I unboxed it I discoverered that it has no scart port. This is fine but the problem is my virgin media (old UPC) box has no hdmi port. I rang Virgin and the customer service said they could give me a hdmi box but I would have to sign up to a new 12 month contract. My contract is up in Feb and the reason I bought the tv is because it has freesat built-in - planning to go that route in Feb. In the meantime what is the best solution. I tried putting an rca cable connected to a scart connection into upc box and connecting the red, white, yellow to telly but can only get audio? Should this work? Or do I need to get some kind of scart to hdmi converter or rca to hdmi? If I need to get a one of these converters which option should I go for and anyone know where the best place to get would be?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Inkers92 wrote: »
    I bought a new telly the other day - its an LG - when I unboxed it I discoverered that it has no scart port.

... I tried putting an rca cable connected to a scart connection into upc box and connecting the red, white, yellow to telly but can only get audio? Should this work?

That should work. Have you the yellow pin in the proper socket on the TV? It's not necessarily the one beside the red & white, if it's grouped with component video sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I tried putting an rca cable connected to a scart connection into upc box and connecting the red, white, yellow to telly but can only get audio? Should this work?

Yes, it should work. Tell the UPC box to output a composite video signal instead of RGB and it will probably work though the video quality will be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Thanks, Yes RCA yellow is in the green/yellow port. Tried to find the setting but couldn't! Anyway, I guess if the picture quality wouldn't be great then there's no point in having a nice shiny new telly, but thanks for the advice anyway.
    I was about to buy that converter when I remembered an email from Virgin a couple of weeks back about a price hike. I dug it out and found this:

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

"Want to talk about your options?
    We really hope you’ll go on enjoying your Virgin Media package and would hate to see you go. However, if you want to cancel, you can do so at any time before 23 December 2016, without any penalty or cancellation fees. Simply call us on 1908 and select option 1."

So, rather than fork out the 30 quid for the converter and wait until Feb I have decided to cancel, get the freesat dish now and find the cheapest broadband only package!
    Thanks for the replies and advice anyway.

Thanks, Yes RCA yellow is in the green/yellow port. Tried to find the setting but couldn't

There probably isn't such a setting. Composite can't be turned off, as the sync information in the signal is used for RGB as well.

Might be academic now, but is there an input/output switch on the SCART side of the adapter, maybe it's set to input rather than output?

• Advertisement

Thanks, Yes RCA yellow is in the green/yellow port.

That's one of the component ports, the port that takes a composite video signal won't be coloured green/yellow, it will be yellow alone and it will normally be beside red and white 'audio in' ports. The main use for this set of phono sockets is to connect a digital camera for a slideshow so they're often located as a set of three sockets on the side of the TV.

coylemj wrote: »
    That's one of the component ports, the port that takes a composite video signal won't be coloured green/yellow, it will be yellow alone

The few TVs I've had dealings with over the last few years, composite video & component 'Y' (green) use the same port.

Thurston? wrote: »
    The few TVs I've had dealings with over the last few years, composite video & component 'Y' (green) use the same port.

Ah ok, that explains the yellow and green port on my new bedroom TV. The one it replaced (2006) and the main TV downstairs (2009) have a separate yellow for composite and the three dedicated ports for component video.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 diddlium

Anyone know where I might purchase a HDMI to SCART converter in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

My unprofessional recommendation would be to get a freesat receiver. If you're getting the dish you can set the system up so the receiver takes 2 feeds, can watch one and record another channel. Also you can get one with Saorview support too. Irish channels aren't on freesat so if you put up a Saorview aerial too you'll have have the Irish channels.

Having said that, I have no idea how advanced built in freesat on the tv is. It might take 2 feeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

Wheety wrote: »
    My unprofessional recommendation would be to get a freesat receiver. If you're getting the dish you can set the system up so the receiver takes 2 feeds, can watch one and record another channel. Also you can get one with Saorview support too. Irish channels aren't on freesat so if you put up a Saorview aerial too you'll have have the Irish channels.

Having said that, I have no idea how advanced built in freesat on the tv is. It might take 2 feeds?

The TV will only have the one sat in port. FTA satellite dish, Antenna mounted along side, 2 combiners, and one cable running the distance will get you all the FTV UK and Irish channels. Obviously this is assuming OP is happy with just watching all the FTA/Saorview channels on one TV and recording is not a requirement. Set this up for the folks 2 yrs ago connected to a Walker satellite capable TV and they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 diddlium

Thanks a million Wheety and Dodzy ������

Advertisement