Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots bought from China

Options
  • 04-12-2016 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I bought a pair of football boots for my son in October on what appeared to be a UK Website, http://www.sportsukboots.co.uk - they cost €94. Anyway, they took two weeks to arrive and it seems they were posted from China. The money was not paid to the above site, rather to a name in China. Of course when they arrived they were terrible fakes, and I tried to return them to no avail. So I got over it, learned from experience.

Now, another account in China took the same amount from my Credit card on Wednesday night at midnight. I have contacted my bank and they said they would look into it. So I'm just wondering, because I gave the first crowd my credit card details online will the bank say I compromised my own bank account or will I get a refund. Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Is your card now blocked? It should be.
    If you did not authorise the transaction then I'm pretty sure the bank will refund you.

If you are thinking about ordering from a website that you are not sure of, check their returns policy. Usually the grammar will be poor and sentences won't make sense. If in doubt never use them.

http://www.sportsukboots.co.uk/shipping-returns-ezp-1.html?chapter=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Under visa / mastercard rules, the website is responsible to show that the card was used correctly. Hence almost all online orders require a signature on delivery or "verified by visa" / "mastercard secure" code.

You simply tell the bank you did not authorise the transaction and they will follow a procedure and refund you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

you should also be able to demand the first payment be refunded as you did not get what you ordered. you got fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Thanks a million guys, the card is now blocked. I checked their returns policy and it said two weeks, so I immediately contacted them - got a message to say why, and to upload a picture which I did - then nothing for a week until this:

"Hello, Since Thanks Giving Day and Christmas is coming there are many parcel will be shipped ,as you know,it will spend a lot of time and the shipping costs are expensive if you return it back ,so I hope you can keep it,Thank you !"

... and that was the last I heard. I replied that I did not want them and would be happy to pay the return postage, I have not heard anything back and my emails have been ignored.

But thanks a million guys, when you say I should try to get a refund, for the first transaction, did you mean from the seller or through mastercard? I just presumed I made a bad decision and that would be the end of it. Which is was the case until this second unauthorised payment came through six weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Ask your bank for a chargeback for both. They didnt deliver the goods as ordered. It will be a burden of proof on their side to show they delivered them.

• Advertisement

Brillant, and thanks for the advice guys - I really didn't know I could do this. In actual fact when I bought the boots they were supposed to cost €86.58 but when the charge came through on the card it was €94 - again when I queried this I got no response but it was too late - the order had gone through. I really appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The second transaction is fraudulent and there should be no issues in having it stopped.

The first one may be too long ago to do anything about. That you received anything at all even if completely fake is strange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Ron603

Something similar happened to my parents when they bought a fake bag from China. The next day the website got blocked due to copyright infringements (Michael Kors) and it said to contact your bank to get a refund. My parents got their card blocked but they didn't get a refund from the bank as the transaction had gone through with their own consent. So always double check the website that you're buying from, use 'Web of Trust' to check the websites reputation. And as a rule of thumb, stay away from websites that look like they were made back in 2002.

mockingjay wrote: »
    Brillant, and thanks for the advice guys - I really didn't know I could do this. In actual fact when I bought the boots they were supposed to cost €86.58 but when the charge came through on the card it was €94 - again when I queried this I got no response but it was too late - the order had gone through. I really appreciate the advice.

Have you explained to the bank you were overcharged and that the goods are counterfeit? You might get a chargeback as they are counterfeit

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Have you explained to the bank you were overcharged and that the goods are counterfeit? You might get a chargeback as they are counterfeit

No actually, I didn't think they would get involved in something like that - I'll mention it to them tomorrow. They were very helpful when I rang and told me that someone would call me during the week. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Ask your bank for a chargeback for both. They didnt deliver the goods as ordered. It will be a burden of proof on their side to show they delivered them.

The bank is not responsible for people buying fakes.

Only the second unauthorised transaction can be claimed.

Walter2016 wrote: »
    The bank is not responsible for people buying fakes.

Well some banks offer chargebacks for when goods delivered were not as described. If you look at the bigger picture, you will see the retailer never held up to their side of the contract. Some banks make no distinction between goods not delivered and goods not as described(A fair amount of UK banks)

The bank doesnt take the hit, the merchant bank does. They might do a chargeback. OP has nothing to lose by asking them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pretty sure there are several threads with people getting chargebacks on conterfeit stuff.

I do wish more was in place to stop reckless spending, which can only increase insurance and CC costs for everybody -i.e. people chancing their arm 95%+ sure the product is fake. Admin is not done by volunteers, even if full amount is got back.

If it was not covered there has to be some line drawn, e.g. if I get a broken calculator with PS4 painted on it have I no comeback?

Some time limits listed here, e.g. 120 days, 15days also mentioned

http://chargebacktech.eu/knowledge-base/product-not-as-described-chargebacks/

Advertisement