Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agents help tenants? ?

Options
  • 04-12-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,
    Do estate agents that deal with selling and letting, help tenants find a rental property? I know there's daft, and rent.ie now so not much call for them as you can find properties yourself, but do they offer that service anymore??
    Asking as im sick off calling up ads and being told that our average family size is too big for what the landlord is looking for. So im thinking of leaving my details with such an agency so if a landlord approaches them with a rental that suits us they can match us up!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I dont see what is in it for the estate agent? Their duty of care is to their customer who pays them, not a tenant who is the intermediary. They will want to please the landlord who will be letting their properties every few years or if they have several, letting their several properties per year than a tenant who might let off them off

The only way I can see an agent 'helping' you is if they can get more rent off you than someone who is less wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There used to be a tenancy agent in town, on Dawson St. They would charge a smallish fee to find a letting for a tenant.

So, the business idea would work. Just the tenant pays a fee for them to go find a suitable place to rent.

I don't know of any now.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didnt mean for free, I meant if they offered it as a fee paying service.
    I remember up until around 2005 there used to be plenty of companies and that was their sole purpose, as a tenant you pay the company and they search for suitable properties. Most if not all of these companies are now gone due to the easy access provided by daft etc...

Now, youre probably wondering why I want to pay someone when I can look myself! I have been looking 2 months , a double room in most if not all cases is suitable for 2 people, yet when you mention it to landlords, or their agents to be more specific, they state the landlord prefers one child.

So im looking to go somewhere, and tell them heres our references, heres your fee, there's x amount adults/children help us find somewhere please!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Yeah they seem to be all gone, the independent ones. So im kinda wondering if the likes of gwd, sherry fitz etc... would offer the service. I dont even know what the service is called lol

Advertisement