Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race to the title 2016/17 (plus Top 4 Cup)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Man City held by Stoke 0-0

So same points as Spurs 10 behind Chelsea.

1 Chelsea 27 21 3 3 57:20 66

2. Tottenham 27 16 8 3 53:20 56

3. Manchester City 27 17 5 5 53:29 56

4. Liverpool 27 15 7 5 58:34 52

5. Arsenal 26 15 5 6 55:31 50

6. Manchester United 26 13 10 3 39:22 49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal
    City are so weak at home.

Thanks Stoke. Of course no football fan watched it with the Barca game but thanks anyway. :)

• Arsenal
    Should be renamed "Stroll to the title"

Arsenal
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Should be renamed "Stroll to the title"

I dont think any of the other teams have enough quality or consistwncy to captailise if we drew or lose a few games.

Maybe Spurs do, because City look weak.

• Arsenal
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont think any of the other teams have enough quality or consistwncy to captailise if we drew or lose a few games.

Maybe Spurs do, because City look weak.

Spurs don't though
    Record against top 6 is dreadful.
    They will put away the other teams but all depends on who they play in the top 6 for the remainder of the season

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    Spurs don't though
    Record against top 6 is dreadful.
    They will put away the other teams but all depends on who they play in the top 6 for the remainder of the season

utd and arsenal I think both at home.

• Arsenal
    utd and arsenal I think both at home.

They won't beat utd
    Arsenal are in free fall so yes possibly
    But it won't be enough

The head to heads for the rest of season could well decide it in the end.

The next one is
    19/03/17 Manchester City v Liverpool then 02/04/17 Arsenal v Manchester City, so assuming City progress in the CL might they get a bit stretched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Arsenal
    The head to heads for the rest of season could well decide it in the end.

The next one is
    19/03/17 Manchester City v Liverpool then 02/04/17 Arsenal v Manchester City, so assuming City progress in the CL might they get a bit stretched?

They've got Chelsea 3 days after Arsenal too.

That's quite a schedule, Guardiola made changes tonight as he looked to the next two games (FA Cup and Monaco) and paid for it. Starting Navas is almost never a good idea.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    24 points from the remaining 11 games will see Chelsea chanpions regardless of what happens.

I predict we'll pick up 20 and 86pts will do it.

So then City and Liverpool share the spoils - a point may or may not be a bad thing, it's impossible to know. Arsenal on the other hand do know! Spurs win and Man Utd win and in the weekend just gone Everton were in the top six for about 24 hours. Well done them.

If Liverpool are slowly clawing there way back to some sort of results form - 7 from the last 9 reads pretty well if you try to overlook Lallana's miscue Arsenal are in free fall in the form guide and now look like the most vulnerable.

It's unlikely that the Toffees will steal in and yet....
    Chelsea	        28	22	3	3	59:21	69	 
    Tottenham	28	17	8	3	55:21	59	 
    Man City	28	17	6	5	54:30	57	 
    Liverpool	29	16	8	5	61:36	56	 
    Man Utd	        27	14	10	3	42:23	52	 
    Arsenal         27	15      5	7	56:34	50	 

Everton	        29	14	8	7	51:30	50

Next head to head Arsenal v Man City April 2nd (Merseyside derby April 1st)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hard too see Everton taking anything from next two games.

Away to Liverpool haven't won there in over decade and away to United.

Obviously two away wins will turn everything upside down but can't see it myself. Be lucky to get 2 points.

The game schedule for the 2nd - 6th (thanks to Blue Moon forums)

1tmqky.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

They won't beat utd
    Arsenal are in free fall so yes possibly
    But it won't be enough

I don't know how you can definitively say that Spurs won't beat Man Utd. I'd fancy Spurs to beat Utd at white hart lane when they play. They have been the better side this season so far, despite losing at Old Trafford. This is coming from an Arsenal fan as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Arsenal
    I don't know how you can definitively say that Spurs won't beat Man Utd. I'd fancy Spurs to beat Utd at white hart lane when they play. They have been the better side this season so far, despite losing at Old Trafford. This is coming from an Arsenal fan as well.

Meh, Spurs like having their belly tickled by United. It's generally one of the biggest bankers of a fixture for us over the years. We've lost once at Spurs in all competitions since 2001.

• Arsenal

What jayop said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Arsenal
    Spurs are unbeaten at home this season and it will be their last ever game at White Hart Lane, safe to say it will be a different feeling/atmosphere to any normal year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Arsenal
    Don't think there's any doubt that on paper Liverpool have the easiest run in with no top six sides or cup games left to play. With the proviso that it's the smaller sides that give them more bother. Their form does seem to be picking up again though.

United definitely have the toughest run in on paper. Four top six sides still left to play (three of them away from home). Plus Europa League games.

City's run in not too bad either once they get over the next few games. Their last 5 games in particular look almost perfect. Four home games and only the terrible Middlesbrough away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Jayop wrote: »
    Meh, Spurs like having their belly tickled by United. It's generally one of the biggest bankers of a fixture for us over the years. We've lost once at Spurs in all competitions since 2001.
    What jayop said

Fair enough, must be something in the North London water as Arsenal have been cannon fodder for Man Utd too recently.

Anyway looking at Arsenals remaining fixtures is grim reading. 6 or 7 of them matches look tough, even for an Arsenal team not in free fall. Going to be a struggle to keep Wengers top 4 record going (a record he himself has mentioned a lot lately).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Utd haven't won at whl since fergie stepped down 2 draws and a defeat. This is far more relevant than records dating back to 2001. This group of players beat utd 3 0 last year so i cant imagine there is any inferiority complex.Chances are utd will have an el sf 3 days before it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Johner wrote: »
    Spurs are unbeaten at home this season and it will be their last ever game at White Hart Lane, safe to say it will be a different feeling/atmosphere to any normal year.

I see absolutely no reason why united wont be on the end of a hammering that day.

Arsenal
    Don't think there's any doubt that on paper Liverpool have the easiest run in with no top six sides or cup games left to play. With the proviso that it's the smaller sides that give them more bother. Their form does seem to be picking up again though.............

7 from 9 is indeed a huge improvement on the 6 pts achieved in the previous 7 PL games this calender year.

Back in form, Hendo perhaps back for the Everton game which is on paper the trickiest fixture remaining :)

Arsenal
    I see absolutely no reason why united wont be on the end of a hammering that day.

Could the fact that we've only had one hammering all year and that was against Chelsea about 6 months ago be one reason?

Maybe the fact we're 3rd on the away league table despite having played fewer away games than all teams around us?

United have only conceded 13 goals away all season giving them the tied best away defensive record in the league?

There's 3 reasons to begin with.

Arsenal
    It's an interesting one actually. United have 25 points from 14 home games and 27 points from 13 away games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Would being unbeaten in the league home and away since October not have you doubting yourself a little

Arsenal
    Would being unbeaten in the league home and away since October not have you doubting yourself a little

Theres been more draws in that sequence than a series of Art Attack.

They've played 3 of the top 6 in that sequence, won 1 (spurs) and drawn 2 (Arsenal and Liverpool), all those games were at home too.

I think Utd face a serious test of their top 4 credentials down the run in.

They've to play 4 of the top 6 and 3 of those games are away.

If they manage top 4 with that run in they'll have had a good season.

Arsenal

They've played 3 of the top 6 in that sequence, won 1 (spurs) and drawn 2 (Arsenal and Liverpool), all those games were at home too.

No doubt the Spurs game will be a tough match and no-one would be hugely surprised if Spurs win. The point we're arguing with is a ridiculous post to say that someone see's "absolutely no reason why united wont be on the end of a hammering that day".

Surely that's the post you should be taking issue with.

Arsenal
    No doubt the Spurs game will be a tough match and no-one would be hugely surprised if Spurs win. The point we're arguing with is a ridiculous post to say that someone see's "absolutely no reason why united wont be on the end of a hammering that day".

Surely that's the post you should be taking issue with.

I do think Spurs will win for various reasons, I however, dont think they'll hammer Utd, Joses teams dont really get hammered, not on score line anyway.

I just think the unbeaten record is a bit of false dawn and theres been far too many draws, especially at home, to so called cannon fodder that Utd would usuaully turn over for fun but Utd fans know that.

Chelsea had an unbeaten record under Hiddink last year but I'm sure we drew about 7 games and had won 3 of the unbeat run, granted Utds is more impressive than that but it wasnt something to shout about considering we were in about 10th-13th at the time too and going nowhere.

I still reckon Utd will get UCL next year, whether its by the league route or the EL though it remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

Arsenal
    The unbeaten record was given as a reason why it was possibly for United not to be hammered. That's absolutely fair enough. The poster above was talking from the very darkest part of their colon and was most likely hoping to get a bite by posting such tripe.

.....What's that got to do with me saying we won't take a hammering??

Do you read something, ingest it and come up with something that wasn't said.

Conceding 2 goals 3 times in 6 months and yet we are going to be hammered. Losing 1-0 to a Chelsea team away from home with a make shift 1st 11 and a man down for 60 minutes and we are going to get hammered.

Not talking about a top four or who we have or haven't played. I'm talking about us getting a hammering and throwing out actual facts that speak to the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Maybe Uniteds record at WHL is a reason -

WWWWWWDDWDWDDDL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

There will be no hammering but I would fully expect Spurs to win as they are a better side than United the last few seasons and will be up for this big time being the last game at the Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

No doubt the Spurs game will be a tough match and no-one would be hugely surprised if Spurs win.

That is some backtracking to be fair :P

Arsenal
    That is some backtracking to be fair :P

It's not back tracking at all. Personally I don't have any fear of United playing against Spurs. I think we have better players and we beat them in white heart lane nearly every time. That doesn't mean that my second post is inconsistent. They are a very good team, ahead of us in the league and playing well. It wouldn't be a surprise if we lost to them but I don't expect it to happen.

• Advertisement

It's not back tracking at all. Personally I don't have any fear of United playing against Spurs. I think we have better players and we beat them in white heart lane nearly every time. That doesn't mean that my second post is inconsistent. They are a very good team, ahead of us in the league and playing well. It wouldn't be a surprise if we lost to them but I don't expect it to happen.

Times have changed though. You haven't beat them in the most relevant timeframe the post fergie era two draws and a 3 0 defeat last year. Fergies record there was great but utd were the best team in the league then and spurs by and large weren't great. Spurs for me now have a better first eleven than utd they have the best home record in the league 41 pts out of 45 . Spurs have comfortably outscored utd and have conceded less goals. They are a more balanced team. It doesn't matter that utd used to always win there its now different managers and different players and the fear that spurs may have had of playing utd is gone as is the superiority utd may have felt when playing spurs.

That game will be decided by one goal, it'll be tight as that's Utd's way in big games these days.

Arsenal
    Times have changed though. You haven't beat them in the most relevant timeframe the post fergie era two draws and a 3 0 defeat last year. Fergies record there was great but utd were the best team in the league then and spurs by and large weren't great. Spurs for me now have a better first eleven than utd they have the best home record in the league 41 pts out of 45 . Spurs have comfortably outscored utd and have conceded less goals. They are a more balanced team. It doesn't matter that utd used to always win there its now different managers and different players and the fear that spurs may have had of playing utd is gone as is the superiority utd may have felt when playing spurs.

The history was only one of the reasons given for it not being a hammering which lets not forget us what we're talking about. Have a look at my post straight after that assertion as I couldn't be bothered typing it all out again.

No one doubts any of that and you make great points.

We're however dismissing the posts eluding to a hammering

I agree with you lads the hammering is not going to happen and that poster was way Ott. However what brought the initial discussion up was the believe that utd won't lose to spurs due to what had happened in the past . Utd at arsenal linked in with Jose v Wenger now that is a different story and I'd be thinking what's happened in the past is very relevant there and would expect a utd win.

• Advertisement

top_6.jpg

Brief pause for breath.

On Tuesday Man Utd play Everton, both sides should be better than they were on Saturday. While on Wednesday Chelsea host City Liverpool have the chance to put the Bournemouth embarrassment right or add to it. Arsenal play West Ham so should win and Spurs play Swansea away, hard to see them losing points there for all the improvement of the Welsh side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

rwbug wrote: »
    Maybe Uniteds record at WHL is a reason -

WWWWWWDDWDWDDDL

Looks like its getting increasingly worse for them, cool.

table.jpg

A big long weekend for Arsenal, defeat leaves them now looking like side least likely to reach the Top 4 and the way Everton are playing who knows....

Spurs might make Chelsea sweat a bit but you'd still put all your money on the Blues with Tottenham as the runners up. After that City and Liverpool are tight enough. Man Utd play City of course at some point (has that been sorted yet?), so the winner of that is as important for Liverpool as Utd. Liverpool's injury list seems to be clearing up bar Mane who is out for the rest of the season.

Next big game Chelsea v Man Utd 16/4/17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

table.jpg

A big long weekend for Arsenal, defeat leaves them now looking like side least likely to reach the Top 4 and the way Everton are playing who knows....

Spurs might make Chelsea sweat a bit but you'd still put all your money on the Blues with Tottenham as the runners up. After that City and Liverpool are tight enough. Man Utd play City of course at some point (has that been sorted yet?), so the winner of that is as important for Liverpool as Utd. Liverpool's injury list seems to be clearing up bar Mane who is out for the rest of the season.

Next big game Chelsea v Man Utd 16/4/17

Manchester Derby is Thursday April 27th

Chelsea you had one job to do! Spurs might sniff blood and Chelsea have stopped winning with clean sheets, is the collapse on? Arsenal win but still need plenty of errors above them. Man Utd obviously cocky now but their hard schedule is kicking in this week. Liverpool scrape a vital away win to "bogey type team". City rolled over Soton. Everton win means they continue to lurk.

table.jpg

Next Top 6/7 meetings

27/04/17 Manchester City 20 : 00 Manchester United
    30/4/17 Everton 14 : 05 Chelsea
    30/4/17 Tottenham Hotspur 16 : 30 Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Arsenal on 57 and in 6th for what its worth :P

Yikes! :eek:

Chelsea win
    Spurs win
    Liverpool win
    Man City draw
    Man Utd draw
    Arsenal lose
    Everton lose

Liverpool's UCL qualification chances rise to 89% after beating Watford and seeing rivals drop points; Man City at 91%, Man United at 16%, Arsenal at 5% according to Soccer Power Index

Next six pointer Sunday Arsenal v Man Utd who will be throwing everything at Celta Vigo on Thursday surely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd say Liverpool have top 4 now. Can't see them dropping any more points.

It was unlikely we were going to get through our games without dropping points, but to do it to relegation candidates like Swansea stings badly. It was made worse when City also dropped points to relegation candidates too.

Think the top 7 as it is now is how it will end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Arsenal
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd say Liverpool have top 4 now. Can't see them dropping any more points.

It was unlikely we were going to get through our games without dropping points, but to do it to relegation candidates like Swansea stings badly. It was made worse when City also dropped points to relegation candidates too.

Think the top 7 as it is now is how it will end too.

Liverpool have dropped loads of points to the relegation teams as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

emmetkenny wrote:
    Liverpool have dropped loads of points to the relegation teams as well though.

That's the thing. Teams will always have a chance of dropping points to relegation candidates who will view the last 10 games in their season as the biggest games of their season. They fight for every point and that's why they are more motivated in these games than "bigger teams"

• Advertisement
Advertisement