Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race to the title 2016/17 (plus Top 4 Cup)

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mr.H wrote: »
    That's the thing. Teams will always have a chance of dropping points to relegation candidates who will view the last 10 games in their season as the biggest games of their season. They fight for every point and that's why they are more motivated in these games than "bigger teams"

I'm pretty sure someone checked this theory out against results over s number seasons and found it to be untrue.

Regarding the race for 3rd and 4th, there's a reason the clubs are competing for top 4 rather than the league, it's because they're inconsistent, as results over the last week have shown. I'd fully expect Liverpool, United and City to drop more points and if any can win all remaining games, they'd be a cert for top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

LiamoSail wrote:
    Regarding the race for 3rd and 4th, there's a reason the clubs are competing for top 4 rather than the league, it's because they're inconsistent, as results over the last week have shown. I'd fully expect Liverpool, United and City to drop more points and if any can win all remaining games, they'd be a cert for top 4

Yea I wouldn't bet on any of them up be consistent. Liverpool of course have the best chance on paper but the same can be said for their last few fixtures and they didn't exactly run away with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Top 4 probably won't even change line up never mind members.

Chelsea
    Tottenham
    Liverpool
    Man City

Very unlikely anybody swaps positions at this point imho

Even if Liverpool falter over the line City are dropping silly points too and probably won't overtake them

Too late for United or Arsenal to trouble the top 4 now, too many opportunities wasted in United's case, Arsenal fell too far off the cliff to get back up this season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Top 4 probably won't even change line up never mind members.

Chelsea
    Tottenham
    Liverpool
    Man City

Very unlikely anybody swaps positions at this point imho

Even if Liverpool falter over the line City are dropping silly points too and probably won't overtake them

Too late for United or Arsenal to trouble the top 4 now, too many opportunities wasted in United's case, Arsenal fell too far off the cliff to get back up this season.
    Anything is possible, but United won't get wins at both Arsenal and Spurs, be lucky to get a a point from those two. Their run in is by far the hardest...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd will win at the Emirates on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal
    5starpool wrote: »

as long as they can find 11 reasonably fit players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

greendom wrote: »

I think it depends on Thursday night's result.

I expect United to be at least(I think they will get 0-1 for the away goal also) in the tie for their home leg.

If they dont however get a good result I expect them to rest players against Arsenal and focus on winning the EL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Arsenal
    Done and dusted I'd say, late turnarounds are rare enough.

greendom wrote: »

Arsenal generally present themselves nicely for Utd to take advantage, no matter their players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »

Draw draw draw

Nalz wrote: »
    Draw draw draw

Please and thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chelsea all but confirm title win with the merciful dispatching of Boro back to the Championship. Spurs lose but safe in 4th, City also safe (surely won't do anything silly now). Arsenal win pyrrhic victory against Man Utd who now have two EL games to reach the Champions League in all likelihood and Liverpool's arse in the bacon slicer (thanks Mick McCarthy). The only good news for Pool is that by the time they next play away to West Ham who are safe now Arsenal will have played twice (Soton and Stoke) and so they'll know the bare minimum they have to achieve.

XXdaoa9.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal
    If Arsenal win their next 2 games then the battle for top 4 will be well and truly on. The fact that those 2 games are Southampton and Stoke, both away, leads me to believe it will be somewhat unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Last day of the season could have nothing riding on it at all the way things are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal
    PhilipsR wrote: »
    Last day of the season could have nothing riding on it at all the way things are going.

Maybe 4th and 18th will be the only positions of note left to play for.

Arsenal would need to win every game to get to 75 but I think Liverpool will sneak over the line.

This weekend, Swansea visit Sunderland, if they win there, Hull simply have to beat Palace, any Palace result will see them safe, Hull Palace and Swansea could all be fighting to stay up on the last day and Palaces GD is vastly superior to both sides belwo them by 10 and 20 odd goals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement