Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your sleep diary

Options
  • 05-12-2016 4:00am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading some bits here got me thinking about how much and when i sleep. For instance today i slept from approx 10.30 to 17.30, waking up twice, once for more than a few minutes.
    Day before was approx 12.00 to 17.45
    Tomorrow's will be either 11.00 to 16.00 approx or a much later bedtime as yet undetermined, that probably sounds bizarre to some, then again i never did regular hours in any part of life..
    So, what are you all like?.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rarely sleep 8 hours at one time. Mostly up past 12 midnight, sleep 6-7 hours, then nap one or twice about 20 minutes each during day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I can sleep anywhere from six hours to twelve. I manage eight usually, get struck with insomnia now and again though.
    It's when I fall asleep is the biggest problem to manage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fell asleep about noon, woke up twice for a few minutes both times then properly awake and up at 17.00
    Same as you Aaron it can take me forever to fall asleep, mostly it's that my brain won't shut up..

Fell asleep about noon, woke up twice for a few minutes both times then properly awake and up at 17.00
    Same as you Aaron it can take me forever to fall asleep, mostly it's that my brain won't shut up..
    Yeah that is what happens, if I can't nod off within two hours I get up again.
    If you're going to be sleep deprived might as well be sleep deprived and entertained no point in staring at a wall, ceiling or the inside of your eyelids for hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I tend to stay in bed if i can for the physical rest due the hours i do but on days off i let myself do whatever feels right. Naps, long stints up, whatever suits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I can sleep anywhere from six hours to twelve. I manage eight usually, get struck with insomnia now and again though.
    It's when I fall asleep is the biggest problem to manage.
    I cannot sleep 12 without feeling sore and sluggish after jumper.

...it can take me forever to fall asleep, mostly it's that my brain won't shut up..
    Yes indeed Grem, when I have something that occupies my mind, then I too can have trouble drifting off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Thanksgiving last week. Ate lots. Affected sleep. Exams now. Messed up too.

Fathom wrote: »
    Thanksgiving last week. Ate lots. Affected sleep. Exams now. Messed up too.
    How about the upcoming Christmas and New Years university break? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Black Swan wrote: »
    How about the upcoming Christmas and New Years university break? :D
    Fat city! Nightmares? :eek:

• Advertisement

Fat city! Nightmares? :eek:
    Some fun, and some not methinks.

Black Swan wrote: »
    Some fun, and some not methinks.
    "That's entertainment!"

A strange week for sleep, feeling like i can't get out of bed and not getting any real rest..

A strange week for sleep, feeling like i can't get out of bed and not getting any real rest..
    Exercising? Diet?

No real change in various routines, mind very active though, hard to find rest..

Nightmares messing up my routine. Might be nocturnal again soon.

Today i slept from approx 10.00 to 14.00 then 14.40 to 16.00, not the best but i can manage it on the short term.. There were no dreams, just images influenced from the sound around me..

Nightmares messing up my routine. Might be nocturnal again soon.
    Record them. Diary.

...just images influenced from the sound around me..
    What sounds?

just images influenced from the sound around me..
    This reminds me about an image and sound sleep experience awhile back. I dreamed of looking at my alarm while it went off, only to wake up seconds before it actually went off.

• Advertisement

Waking up just before alarm. Hits snooze button! :cool:

Waking up just before alarm. Hits snooze button! :cool:
    This sounds like something both Fathom and jumper would do. :D

I just never set my alarm. If I'm not awake it's not meant to be. :pac:

I just never set my alarm. If I'm not awake it's not meant to be. :pac:
    Fate? :cool:

B00! wrote: »
    I can't sleep for more than two hours at a time, with a few awake hours in between. Does this mean I just nap, repeatedly?
    Depends how defined.

I'm back to sleeping no more than an hour at a time, it's pretty messy, i always want to get up but can't because i really need to get some more sleep in if i'm to keep going with work.. Nap attacks threaten more frequently

Nap attacks threaten more frequently
    Although I maintain an open-door policy, I will often close the door and take a 20-minute nap, especially if I've been pushing to make research project deadlines pulling (almost) all-nighters. These short naps do wonders, and I awake refreshed and ready to take the bit in my teeth and ride on.

Can't nap here, nights like this when the pain is a bit higher than usual mean i wouldn't be able to anyway.. Not a great sleep earlier, however i'm off tomorrow, will see if i can get myself well rested.. Not much dreaming lately which is strange.

Can't nap here...
    Yes, I've had jobs like that too, where I was on the clock and micro-managed. Thank the goddesses that my dean lets me do my own thing, as well as manage my team accordingly today. He only cares if we meet our goals, objectives, and timetables, not be late for teaching classes, avoid complaints from clients, and show up on time for periodic meetings; other than that, we can nap when needed. Of course the down-side is that we are salary-exempt, project-driven for research, and may have to work 24/7 or be on call likewise until project completion.

• Advertisement

Pattern is all over the place but the dreams if remembered are pleasant.
    Guess some part of me likes the chaos.

Advertisement