Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alienware Steam Machine

Comments

Wonderful!! Thank you for posting this. I picked up the i3 version with the 1TB drive. Wanted the 500GB drive version (because it'll be getting chucked out in favour of a SSD) but the site has gone tits up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What price are you guys seeing? The 500GB is coming up at 570stg.... hardly cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

the 500g gig drive is gone the 1tb i3 version is 299

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0185R5DUQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

still good value

or i5 and 1tb for £369

Yeah the i3 with 500GB sold out like hot cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Showing in stock for me..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0185R5DDI/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

EDIT: Ah it actually sold out there in 1 min! Stock level is probably going up and down sporadically today as they add more units.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Good deal if more come back in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Excellent deal, though the lack of graphics upgradability make it a poor investment as a primary dedicated gaming PC for someone looking to play the latest games. It's based on the GTX860M so you'd be looking at games like BF1 at 720p low-medium settings for the most part, to give an indication of current performance. Excellent for more casual/secondary use but either way a very good deal at £250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is BF1 even compatible with Linux?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Is BF1 even compatible with Linux?

You can install Win10 on it, and for free really (unactivated Win10 works indefinitely with nothing more than a tiny watermark in the bottom right corner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You can install Win10 on it, and for free really (unactivated Win10 works indefinitely with nothing more than a tiny watermark in the bottom right corner).

Ah cool, didn't realise that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Akula

500gb went out of stock but now is back as listed being in stock again on December 9th. Not a long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Might pick up one of these, add an SSD, install Win 10 and the alpha drivers and bob's your uncle you have an Alienware alpha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

It has a low to mid-low end gfx card does it not though?

Tinie wrote: »
    It has a low to mid-low end gfx card does it not though?

It's not going to play the newest games at 1080p at more than 30fps but it will handle pretty much anything at 720p at 60fps. for the price and the games I play it looks perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's not going to play the newest games at 1080p at more than 30fps but it will handle pretty much anything at 720p at 60fps. for the price and the games I play it looks perfect.

Graphics card not upgradeable I take it?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Graphics card not upgradeable I take it?

Soldered to the motherboard apparently. Probably a laptop cpu-gpu setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The GPU is a 860m according to HUKD

moonboy52 wrote: »
    The GPU is a 860m according to HUKD

Not a terrible card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Not a terrible card.

Not at all, 750Ti terroritory

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Not at all, 750Ti terroritory

it would be more comparable to Gtx650 ti or Gtx750 non ti really, not as fast as the 750ti.

its a desktop 't' model i3 but custom laptop graphics card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Excellent deal, though the lack of graphics upgradability make it a poor investment as a primary dedicated gaming PC for someone looking to play the latest games. It's based on the GTX860M so you'd be looking at games like BF1 at 720p low-medium settings for the most part, to give an indication of current performance. Excellent for more casual/secondary use but either way a very good deal at £250.

Thanks for your comment, the reason I bought this was after all your support on Pc building on boards and watching your ads on adverts, Thanks again for your support :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

I got two of the i3 1TB models recently off ebay uk brand new with Dell warranty for similar money and theres being nothing but good comments from my two sons who are big into gaming, just throw windows 10 onto them using a usb and its a little pc.
    The steam controller alone is at least £50 to buy plus postage.

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I got two of the i3 1TB models recently off ebay uk brand new with Dell warranty for similar money and theres being nothing but good comments from my two sons who are big into gaming, just throw windows 10 onto them using a usb and its a little pc.
    The steam controller alone is at least £50 to buy plus postage.

Whats the procedure for installing Windows 10 on the steam box, is it straight forward enough?

Cocoon wrote: »
    Whats the procedure for installing Windows 10 on the steam box, is it straight forward enough?

It's just a PC with a Unix based system on it.

Install windows 10 like you with any normal PC and then download the drivers for the Dell Alienware Alpha of the same specs and install them and job's done.

You can wipe the unix drive completely and just install steam on windows like a normal PC.

Then sell the steam controller on eBay and use an XBox360 controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

€350 is really that good a deal for a non upgradeable pc?

I'm guessing you can build a similar spec pc for close to that?

It won't have the console design factor like this though.

Gaming wise even the PS4 Pro has a far more powerful graphics card and will run modern games far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GTX 1060 would probably eat it for breakfast but your going to pay around 250 for the card alone, you wouldn't build a games PC for the same price but you'd end up with a lot better machine is you went up 200 in budget maybe less.
    Form factor doesn't really matter as there's now the steam link, I play my pc games on the TV and it's no where near the PC.

This working out a 420 for 600 you'd probably have a steam link and a more powerful PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

The £249 option with the i3 processor and 500GB hdd is available for ordering again for anyone interested. It says the stock for the machine will be available on the 9th of December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Have been looking at Intel NUCs and other small form factor PCs as an alternative to an Android box for my main TV..
    This is coming in cheaper than a bare bones i3

Would any techy people be a able to run their eyes over the specs and tell me if this would be a good/bad idea vs the NUC?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018JDP590/[\URL]

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Have been looking at Intel NUCs and other small form factor PCs as an alternative to an Android box for my main TV..
    This is coming in cheaper than a bare bones i3

Would any techy people be a able to run their eyes over the specs and tell me if this would be a good/bad idea vs the NUC?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B018JDP590/[\URL]

Certainly better than an NUC, better processor graphics etc. There is no comparison.

Dont hesitate, just add a small ssd drive 250gig about €50 and an extra 4 gigs of ram (not even really needed ) but only about €15.

Windows 10 can be got OEM for about €20 in a fair few places check out hotukdeals and search win 10

• Advertisement

^ Thanks..
    I'd be running Ubuntu.. Can't imagine there'd be any driver issues or the like?

GTX 1060 would probably eat it for breakfast but your going to pay around 250 for the card alone, you wouldn't build a games PC for the same price but you'd end up with a lot better machine is you went up 200 in budget maybe less.
    Form factor doesn't really matter as there's now the steam link, I play my pc games on the TV and it's no where near the PC.

This working out a 420 for 600 you'd probably have a steam link and a more powerful PC.

I think this Steam Machine is great value but a GTX1060 can run all the latest games at 1080p ultra settings at 60fps.

This would run most of the latest games at 720-900p at low-medium to maintain 40-60fps.

I'm not trying to dismiss the bargain, because it is one, but the graphics capabilities are considerably below the level of a €110 euro new card (RX460/GTX1050).

You could build a PC new for around €400 that would run rings around it and be fully upgradable as well (i3-6100, 8GB, RX460).

Of course, it wouldn't be an Alienware, or be half as compact either....or come with a Steam controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea agree, the steam link does away with the compact notion though, I use my PC for Kodi through the steam link and it's lightning fast, much better than one of those wetek boxes I bought.

Steam controller, aagghh.

Ordered one of nex Xbox one S controller to replace the steam controller. Finally a wireless Xbox controller for the steam link.

It's an ok deal but you'd build better for the same. The fact you can't upgrade the card would turn me off it. You'd be thinking PS4 pro or build.

I use my PC for Kodi through the steam link and it's lightning fast..

It's an ok deal but you'd build better for the same. The fact you can't upgrade the card would turn me off it. You'd be thinking PS4 pro or build.

Would that include the mini PC format?
    All I'm really after is a very fast, 4k ready Kodi box, with ability to use Spotify and Netflix via Ubuntu..

The NUC I posted earlier with i3 will work out dearer than this though..
    Are you aware of cheaper options for self build?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Would that include the mini PC format?
    All I'm really after is a very fast, 4k ready Kodi box, with ability to use Spotify and Netflix via Ubuntu..

The NUC I posted earlier with i3 will work out dearer than this though..
    Are you aware of cheaper options for self build?

Compared to an NUC with an i3, this is much better. Especially if you an ssd.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Compared to an NUC with an i3, this is much better. Especially if you an ssd.

Sold out while I prevaricated!!
    You snooze you lose with BA :)

If anyone sees it coming back at this price, please update the thread..

• Advertisement

What size SSD is everyone going with? I can remember a 960GB Sandisk Ultra being a bargain alert quite a few times. Anything above that is silly money. Maybe a SSHD would make more sense?

What size SSD is everyone going with? I can remember a 960GB Sandisk Ultra being a bargain alert quite a few times. Anything above that is silly money. Maybe a SSHD would make more sense?

Just looking back, I got that ssd when it was 149 - I'd set up a camel alert and hold tight till it drops again.. Currently 215

3 of the ones for 250 back on pre-order. Be quick

3 of the ones for 250 back on pre-order. Be quick

Ah Jaysus - just my luck!

Went off and placed a bid on an i3 NUC on ebay, so have to see how it pans out..
    Happy ,from reading reviews, that it will do all I need it for in any case..

Cheers for posting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

Have an ssd already and am hoping a just-deactivated windows 7 licence bought for an obsolete netbook years ago will activate windows 10 on this system... All done it should be a nice portable machine for 720p gaming and media consumption.

Thanks OP!

• Advertisement

9 in stock there now at £250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

9 in stock there now at £250.

Still 8 left now, demand seems to have slowed....

Tempted but I don't need it and the missus would kill me. Must resist!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭varuka

The new version has a desktop class gtx 960.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭branners69

I have a Ps4, about to pick up an Xbox S and have plenty of Android boxes.

So would I need this? Are the games cheap? Am I better off getting this rather than the Xbox S?

Thanks

varuka wrote: »
    The new version has a desktop class gtx 960.

3 times the price though, at the price of the new one building is better.

branners69 wrote: »
    I have a Ps4, about to pick up an Xbox S and have plenty of Android boxes.

So would I need this? Are the games cheap? Am I better off getting this rather than the Xbox S?

Thanks

I wouldn't chose it as a primary platform over a console or a proper PC. It plays games fairly similar to the Xb1 at the moment but in a year or two it'll have fallen behind and become fairly obsolete for the latest games, due to the non-upgradable GPU in the model in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

Anybody know if this would play DAYZ or rust, Thanks in advance

Hey all,

How do you connect the controller to a standard pc ? saw the youtube video and it had a wireless adapter, did this come with one? Selling my controller to a friend after wiping it and putting windows 10 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

DaraDali wrote: »
    Hey all,

How do you connect the controller to a standard pc ? saw the youtube video and it had a wireless adapter, did this come with one? Selling my controller to a friend after wiping it and putting windows 10 on it.

The wireless adapter for the steam controller is in the USB port behind the removable panel at the bottom of the machine.

cjlawlor wrote: »
    The wireless adapter for the steam controller is in the USB port behind the removable panel at the bottom of the machine.

Thanks for that :D selling on the controller so he would need the wireless adapter, after a few searches couldn't find any info on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement