Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointed with Ubunto

Options
  • 05-12-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I'm Dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 since a few days back and I am disappointed to say the least. Very buggy. I used mint years ago and it was sort of ok. My web browser flashes randomly and I get hangs now and again which requires a force shutdown to get it going again.
    I was expecting my laptop to fly with this but Windows 10 runs much better.

I have an intel Pentium quad core laptop with 4 gigs of ram, intel HD graphics which is suppose to be great with Linux since intel have open source drivers.

Any suggestions? Or should I try another version of Linux? My laptop is only a few months old and should be well up to the job of running this.

Just to point out, I chose Ubuntu since it seems to be according to many the most stable version of Linux for daily use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Ubuntu. :pac:

I'd say try a different distro.

And is there a reason you want to dual boot and not run it through a vm?

I haven't used ubuntu for years. The improvements actually make it more clunky for me (that search bar searching amazon among other things... and yes, I know you can disable that).

My own recommendation is Peppermint. But I'd say the latest version of Mint would suffice too (it is Irish after all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

me_irl wrote: »
    Ubuntu. :pac:

I'd say try a different distro.

And is there a reason you want to dual boot and not run it through a vm?

I haven't used ubuntu for years. The improvements actually make it more clunky for me (that search bar searching amazon among other things... and yes, I know you can disable that).

My own recommendation is Peppermint. But I'd say the latest version of Mint would suffice too (it is Irish after all!)

Noob O'Reilly here who cant even spell it lol.

Ye I am researching Mint right now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ubuntu 16.04 has received pretty negative reviews. I'd definitely check out Linux Mint or, if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, something like Manjaro.

https://manjaro.org/

Been using Manjaro for a while and it's great. Arch-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I upgraded a 14.04 VM to 16.04 ... and after issues mounting volumes off my NAS started surfacing, I rolled back and won't got near it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm Dual booting Ubuntu 16.04 since a few days back and I am disappointed to say the least. Very buggy. I used mint years ago and it was sort of ok. My web browser flashes randomly and I get hangs now and again which requires a force shutdown to get it going again.
    I was expecting my laptop to fly with this but Windows 10 runs much better.

I have an intel Pentium quad core laptop with 4 gigs of ram, intel HD graphics which is suppose to be great with Linux since intel have open source drivers.

Any suggestions? Or should I try another version of Linux? My laptop is only a few months old and should be well up to the job of running this.

Just to point out, I chose Ubuntu since it seems to be according to many the most stable version of Linux for daily use.

Try something different ..... lots of choices out there.

I use PCLinuxOS with KDE DE --- Downloads

As you have used Mint previously you should give that a try also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm running MINT now pretty nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Its not my main distro, but I also use mint 18 and havent seen any problems with it. very stable, No glitches

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

human 19 wrote: »
    Its not my main distro, but I also use mint 18 and havent seen any problems with it. very stable, No glitches

I had a very bad experience installing Mint 18 today.
    Not being familiar with its installer I was shocked to see it intended to format ALL Swap partitions on the various drives I have in my PC, and not only the Swap on the target drive. This of course would mess up the other installs as the UUIDs of the partitions it formatted would change.
    Thankfully I spotted that before proceeding and found a way to stop it.

It was not obvious how to choose the / & /home partitions for the install, but I did find it eventually.

Because I have several installs on various drives I was being very careful .... but unfortunately the installed did not use the EFI partition on the target drive, but used the partition of another drive! :(
    So it mucked up the booting of the other drives.
    Then I discovered it also altered the boot priority of the drives! So I had to rearrange things in the EFI firmware. It is still not fully corrected.

It took me about an hour to get the PC back to how I had it, after which the Mint install could not be booted.

So, not a great experience over all.
    I did actually boot it a couple of times and update it before discovering the mayhem it had inflicted. It looked very nice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Been using Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 since its release without issues.

Advertisement