Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old 3 gang light switch wiring

Options
  • 05-12-2016 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am renovating an old bungalow (40 years old) at the moment and I want to change a three gang light switch. The switch has five terminals at the top three have connections A1, Bcom and C1. with a wire going into each.
    At the bottom of the switch there are four terimals Acom strapped to B1 strapped to Ccom with a wire connected into Acom and Ccom.
    The new switch I have has at the top L, L1, L2, L. and at the bottom L1, L2, L, L1, L2. Can someone tell me how to wire this?
    For example if I take the A1 wire out of the old switch where do I connect it on the new switch and so on.
    All the wires are coloured grey.
    Thank you
    Jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Connect the wires from old switch which are into Acom and Ccom into L in first and L in third switch of the new 3 gang, and also link from the first L to the middle L and into the third L so you again have all 3 switches linked as in old one.

Then connect the 3 wires from top of old switch into L1 in each of the 3 of new switch, in same order so same switches switch same lights as before.

You will notice that the 3 L terminals being connected will stager from top to bottom then back to top again. The old switch terminals do the same thing but the electrician just connected straight across so the existing links may be too short for new switch. If so ye can connect new one in similar fashion as old one. Post here if links too short.

Also, mark the old wires with something and take photo before removing from old switch. Simple for electrician even with no markings. But for average person, total confusion often follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Thanks Bruthal..I appreciate that.
    I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I have very little play on the existing wiring so I'll do as you say and mark the wires before I disconnect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Bruthal wrote: »
    Connect the wires from old switch which are into Acom and Ccom into L in first and L in third switch of the new 3 gang, and also link from the first L to the middle L and into the third L so you again have all 3 switches linked as in old one.

Then connect the 3 wires from top of old switch into L1 in each of the 3 of new switch, in same order so same switches switch same lights as before.

You will notice that the 3 L terminals being connected will stager from top to bottom then back to top again. The old switch terminals do the same thing but the electrician just connected straight across so the existing links may be too short for new switch. If so ye can connect new one in similar fashion as old one. Post here if links too short.

Also, mark the old wires with something and take photo before removing from old switch. Simple for electrician even with no markings. But for average person, total confusion often follows.

Hi Bruthal,
    That worked really well as per your instructions / advice.
    Many thanks again - You're the Man!!

Advertisement