Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Macbook Pro on a payment plan?

Options
  • 05-12-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to purchase a Macbook pro on a payment plan, if so where can I purchase on this way?

Thank you.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Harvey Norman have a finance option but they seem to have scaled back their Apple stock. They only have 13" models on their website now, used to have them all. I guess they're just selling off their remaining stock and aren't getting any more.

Compub are another reseller but they only offer the rental finance (Flexirent), where you pay a monthly fee for 12/24/36 months and at the end you either upgrade to a newer model, return the laptop or pay a fee to own it. I think this ends up being very expensive though, for example a €2799 macbook pro (the 15" model) will cost ~165 euro a month (if going for 24 months), that means after 24 months you have paid over €3900 and you still don't even own it.

Your other option is to get a credit card with a high enough limit and pay it off over whatever number of months you want.

Other than that I am not sure. Apple don't offer finance in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I got one in Argos on buy now pay later.
    You have 6 months to pay the balance off interest free.
    If you don't then it kicks into a standard monthly payment with high interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dont buy technology like this on a payment plan. Its incredibly short sighted and most definitely not worth the investment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iConnect on Henry Street, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

CompuB will also give finance but Jesus don't put yourself in debt over a laptop it's not worth it!

Edit just seen they were mentioned before and never knew flexirent was like pcp on cars. **** that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The Argos one is fine if you pay off within 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If you can't buy something like this outright then that should inform you that you can't afford it...

Unless there is an interest free option like the Argos one. But if you can afford to repay it in 6 months the likelihood is that you could afford to do so in one go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I bought a gateway (anyone remember those) laptop on a payment plan years ago. Ended up costing me the best part of £3k (punts in those days). I eventually ended up selling it for about £500. Definitely not worth it and I was in a lot of debt as a young 20 something with a credit card.

Yes Mac books do look amazing. Guy next to me in work has one, but is it really worth the expense of them? I never really saw the attraction as you can get laptops for a 1/4 of the price of a mac these days with twice as much horse power (although I do own an iphone and iwatch). You could always run MacOS in a virtual machine.

Youll remember these responses and thank us in time. ;)

CompuB will also give finance but Jesus don't put yourself in debt over a laptop it's not worth it!

Edit just seen they were mentioned before and never knew flexirent was like pcp on cars. **** that!

Yea it really is a load of bollocks.

I think it is mostly aimed toward very small businesses who need up to date equipment but can't afford the outlay to buy outright.

Either way it's a pretty expensive option.

• Advertisement

TinCool wrote: »
    I bought a gateway (anyone remember those) laptop on a payment plan years ago. Ended up costing me the best part of £3k (punts in those days). I eventually ended up selling it for about £500. Definitely not worth it and I was in a lot of debt as a young 20 something with a credit card.

Yes Mac books do look amazing. Guy next to me in work has one, but is it really worth the expense of them? I never really saw the attraction as you can get laptops for a 1/4 of the price of a mac these days with twice as much horse power (although I do own an iphone and iwatch). You could always run MacOS in a virtual machine.

Nah you can't. They're expensive for sure, and if you look purely at the numbers then you'll get PC equivalents at lower prices (but not 1/4 of the price) but you are paying for the high build quality and reliability with some added on for the Apple brand. They became very popular with developers and content creators for a reason (and despite what people often think it wasn't because they look cool in Starbucks).

The PC equivalent to Macbook Pros (Surface Books) are very similarly priced.

You also can't run OSX in a VM (legally).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

TinCool wrote: »

Absolutely completely untrue.

Absolutely completely untrue.

I've an I7 6700hq 16gb ram 1tb HD and 256gbssd with geforce 970M. It was 850 euro. Show me a mac book with that spec for that money. ROG.

These days they are a false economy even more so with the latest edition. But that's for anywhere thread.

The op has a response it would be irresponsible to advice to go with pp on a piece of technology like this.

They'd regret it pretty soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

listermint wrote: »
    I've an I7 6700hq 16gb ram 1tb HD and 256gbssd with geforce 970M. It was 850 euro. Show me a mac book with that spec for that money. ROG.

These days they are a false economy even more so with the latest edition. But that's for anywhere thread.

The op has a response it would be irresponsible to advice to go with pp on a piece of technology like this.

Do you have a link to that?

godtabh wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that?

I wouldnt, bought it from a lad who got it in October.

I was showing their are options perfectly sound and sane ones without making decisions implanted by a mountain of marketeers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

I was showing their are options perfectly sound and sane ones without making decisions implanted by a mountain of marketeers.

what brand / model is it?

I have a customer looking for a similar spec and I can't find anything like that on a budget?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

So a second hand computer. Yeah that's like comparing like for like

I call shenanigans on this.

For 850 quid you'll get a middle-of-the-road Dell with a their infamous flimsy plastic casing.

godtabh wrote: »
    So a second hand computer. Yeah that's like comparing like for like
    awec wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on this.

For 850 quid you'll get a middle-of-the-road Dell with a their infamous flimsy plastic casing.

Its a Asus Republic of Gamers , also known as ROG.

And sorry to disappoint im not in the habit of telling fibs for jollies lads. Ye kids might get off on that but that is the laptop i bought and that is the laptop i have.

It still makes me smile the absolute hard on given to someone spending 2500K on a macbook. Wont have a bad thing said about it (by bad thing i mean better options out there for the money)

I digress its for a different forum and conversation. This is going off topic from the OPs finance query.

I don't have a macbook, never had one either.

Just get a bit fed up with people who think they're geniuses that have outsmarted the system because they bought a laptop that's cheaper. They point at the numbers, thinking that's all that matters, as if there's no possible reason someone would want a premium laptop.

Those Asus gaming laptops are pretty massive size wise and they also weigh a lot. Not exactly something you want to be lugging around all day every day. They only have a 1080p screen and you get what, 4 hours on battery at best?

It suits your needs but it's cheaper for a reason.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I don't have a macbook, never had one either.

Just get a bit fed up with people who think they're geniuses that have outsmarted the system because they bought a laptop that's cheaper. They point at the numbers, thinking that's all that matters, as if there's no possible reason someone would want a premium laptop.

Those Asus gaming laptops are pretty massive size wise and they also weigh a lot. Not exactly something you want to be lugging around all day every day. They only have a 1080p screen and you get what, 4 hours on battery at best?

It suits your needs but it's cheaper for a reason.

I've out smarted nothing. I was asked a question I responded if you don't like the answer don't winge about it.

And then then end of your post goes on to slate it. Well done bully you woot woot.

Spend all day tracking down that information I'm sure just to get a comment in, I compliment the Inguinity......

Anyway point stands you can't get far more for your money. Simple as that.

Oh and the new macbook pro gets 4 hours its been tested at it. Not worth 5 thousand dollars now is it.
    Its expensive for a reason.... Because they can nothing more nothing less. Because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Its a Asus Republic of Gamers , also known as ROG.

And sorry to disappoint im not in the habit of telling fibs for jollies lads. Ye kids might get off on that but that is the laptop i bought and that is the laptop i have.

It still makes me smile the absolute hard on given to someone spending 2500K on a macbook. Wont have a bad thing said about it (by bad thing i mean better options out there for the money)

I digress its for a different forum and conversation. This is going off topic from the OPs finance query.

So you bought a second hand Asus. There are plenty of bad things you can say about MacBook Pros, but they are extremely well made, the screen is amazing, the battery is excellent and the new ones are amazingly portable. They are a totally different animal to an Asus gaming laptop.

My point was that you cannot get an equivalently packaged PC laptop for quarter of the price. You just can't. You can get a massive clunky Asus for around 75% of the price, but it's not like for like.

It's nothing personal, I'd use a PC if there was a significantly better one for less than I paid for my Mac, but there wasn't 3 years ago and I don't think there is now.

Anyway point stands you can't get far more for your money. Simple as that.

Oh and the new macbook pro gets 4 hours its been tested at it. Not worth 5 thousand dollars now is it.
    Its expensive for a reason.... Because they can nothing more nothing less. Because they can.

Ah, I see you agree with me! The battery lasts for 9-10 hours for most people, there appear to be some issues with some but my partner is getting 10+ hours on hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

These guys do it: http://www.hardsoft.ie/

If you are a business user I think it's easier to write it off for tax purposes.
    You don't need to pay for it up front and then write it off over a number of years.

Advertisement